Allergy Community
Hi IgE levels

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Hi IgE levels

Just been told I have an IgE reading of 4,111 and normal is below 100!!
Is this significant?
What are the consequences of hyper-IgE levels for long times as I appear to have had this for at least 5 years

Immunoglobulin E (IgE) is a class of antibody that has only been found in mammals. It plays an important role in allergy, and is especially associated with type 1 hypersensitivity. It plays an important role in allergy, and is especially associated with type 1 hypersensitivity. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IgE

Constantly increasing IgE levels, means atopy. Atopy or atopic syndrome is an allergic hypersensitivity affecting parts of the body not in direct contact with the allergen. It may involve eczema (atopic dermatitis), allergic conjunctivitis, allergic rhinitis and asthma.
Atopic individuals (people who suffer from true IgE-mediated allergies) can have up to 10 times the normal level of IgE in their blood .

IgE may be an important target in treatments for allergy and asthma.If you have high IgE levels,it means you are more prone to allergies and atopic reactions.Sometimes fatal anaphylactic reaction can also occur as a result of allergies.

Hope this information was useful.In case you have any additional doubts,pls keep me posted.