Allergy Community
Hives, Heat and Exercise

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Hives, Heat and Exercise

I have been getting a red rash for about 2 years upon exertion or w/ a temperature change.  The rash appears on my arms (inside only), on my chest and neck.  it doesnt always itch.  it goes away after i cool off.  this also happens w/ emotional changes, as when i get upset or frustrated or nervous.  i also get itching sometimes w/ no rash that travels from my feet up to the top of my head and i become so itchy i have to stop running (it happens when i am running) and itch myself.  i do not have a rash, i just itch.  i have been to an allergist and immunologist.  i have had liver tests and allergy tests and i have been tested for rheumatoid arthritis.  i take zyrtec which keeps it under control most of the time.  and by under control i mean i still get the rash just not as bad.  i do have seasonal allergies and asthma that are under control.  this did happen after stopping singulair and becoming pregnant, miscarrying, pregnant again and delivering, and now it is getting bad again.  i dont want to just control it, i want to know why it is happening.  all drs tell me to live w/ it.  i cannot.  i believe it is 2ndary to something else, but what????  anyone else have this.  could it be liver trouble??  mastocytosis??  sarcoidosis???  the dr called it exercise induced anaphylaxis??  it isnt just exercise though.  i could use some answers.  
i have exactly what you have except it's not as itchy. but on top of that I have chronic hives..which is whole another story. i think the heat rash it some sort of hives actually....i've had the form you have all my life. it's just how your body is built. i have pretty sensitive skin and just driving in the heat brings out red blotchy on my chest. when i take really hot showers i get them where my skin is thin. if your itchiness is really bad try putting really thick lotion on. i know it's frustrating to hear that you have to live with it...but it's the truth. i've had chronic hives on top of the heat rash for about 1.5yrs now. and that's something very frustrating to accept. i usually just exercise when i know i'm not going anywhere. i know someone who was "allergic" to sunlight. she would blister like crazy..but hers disappeared in three years. so give it some time. if you weren't born with this...there's a good chance it will disappear.
wow, thanks.  i guess i am kind of fortunate that it hasnt been life long.  i keep looking for answers and come up w/ nothing.  i have read a lot about some new age procedures but they are all too pricey for my pocket.  i really was hoping that it had to do w/ hormones and maybe i am pregnant again??!!  that's when this all started anyhow.  i just want to get to the bottom of it.  thanks for the reply.  best wishes to you.  
I have the same thing for about two years now.. i get hives and even little bumps on the skin with temperature change.. it was so hard for me to find out that doctors could not understand that i was allergic to "heat" or sunlight.. i have found ways to make sure the temperature changes are not so sudden (i would roll the car windows down on a warm day and turn the ac on in advance) but it seems to be getting worse .. i have researched a lot about this "disease" and found nothing except that it does happen to others and not just me .. i really think it has something to do with hormones..something triggers it inside your body and than it's hard for your body to tolerate sudden temperature change..
living with these allergies is hard.. i cant walk fast, run, get emotional, work out, or even dance a little without getting hives all over my body!!
I will be taking birth control pills to regulate some of my hormones and to regulate my period.. hopefully that will help the allergies also ..
watch what you eat.. eat healthy! and working out a little helps too!
I also have this.  It got much worst after I had my son last year.  I am currently taking Zyrtec.  I thought that I imagining some crazy allergy at first but it is the real deal.  It acts up especially after working out.  I get red hives on the inside on my arms and all over my legs.  I am curious to hear some success stories for treating this strange allergy.
wow, i am really beginning to think it is hormone related.  at least for me.  i had this w/ my first pregnancy and actually it got really bad last week and i found out i am prego again.  i am thinking that it might be a surge in a specific hormone..maybe progesterone????
I am writting in on everyones coments about the "heat-rash." I have had the alergic (allergic) reation since I was 4 years old, and was told it would go away before I was a teenager by every doctor on the gulf coast. Now at 22 I am sitting here typing with these hives. They are emotionally and temperature related and do not go away as easily as other times. The bumps are raised up and I can tell a good 5-10 minutes before I get them. It can take 10 minutes or several hours for them to go away. I always get them everywhere and over the years they are getting worse. This weekend I vommited several times with a bad episode, and even today I have had them about 50% of the day. I was surprised to hear that so many other people have the same thing as I do. And after about 10 years of living with them I am getting fed-up, I am due to see a new doctor next week and try and see what I can find out. The response I normally get is to go on steriods, so I will hopfully learn something other than that. If anyone has any advice to offer about my stubborn rash let me know. Heres hoping....
                                                                                                                             Sara
I've had this exact same problem for 6 years.  I get them under any stress, heat, and emotion distress.  I tried everything from claratin, anti-depressants, etc.  I gave up taking medication after 2 years.  I still get hives, but i'm not taking any more medication because nothing seems to help.  It is making life difficult for me.  Any suggestions on what to do?
im an 18 year old from lebanon,i have the same problem,it happened to me like 4 times or 5,and i got hospitalised twice,it started at 15,i went to a doctor and he told me to do a couple of tests,sgpt and ige were above normal,and in recent studies i found out that sgpt does go up after working out,which led me to think that mayb im allergic to sgpt,but it didnt exist in the allergens list mayb bcoz it only list external allergens.right now im under the influence of this disease or allergy or whatever,so i took a pic to show the difference between the arm i just slaped and my other arm, here is a link http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll37/ali334/Picture015.jpg as u can see the arm that i slaped reacted in an extreme way although it was a small slap,now how this happens with me,usually there is a change of weather,its hot and moist,i work out usually start by running and then work out my arms shoulders,i start seein a red rash like  a thin red line on the joint of my arm,and small very red hives half a cm in diameter at that point id know that im developing an allergic reaction,bcoz im sweatting im feelin hot(not in a good way) so i do the slap test,and i slap my arm with a finger,nd then i get a big hive in that spot,so i know its time to go home,when im home im drinkin alooot of water,bcoz im not sure of what this is,could be fatty liver,and  water is very good when treating liver,the research done by dr.albert l. sheffer that exercise induced anaphylaxis last from half an hour to 4 hours nd it doesnt happen everytime u exercise,but for me i had yesterday the symptoms went then today i did 10 push ups to test myself,and i got em back but with less intensity i guess it depends on how hard you work out.

What you describe seems like sweat dermatitis or heat rash.

You should try to keep the area dry and clean. Try some powder to absorb the sweat.

If the symptoms are still persistent, consult your dermatologist and get a proper clinical evaluation done.

Let us know if you have any doubts and keep us posted on how you are doing.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.
uhm  the hives dont happen each time i swet,not even when i practice  sport,just when i work out and when i have swolen muscles,the 3rd or 4th day it happens

Do antihistamine medications help with your symptoms?

Does it help if you do your workouts in an air conditioned environment?

Have you consulted a skin specialist as yet?

Keep us posted.

Regards.
well i only used antihistamine once,when i had a very bad anaphylaxis,and my skin was all covered with big red spots,like a mix of leopard and tigers skin.so i poped a pill of antihistamine,but i didnt really wait to see the effect,i went to the hospital bcoz it was an anaphyalxis duhh,so they gave me a couple of shots 1 in the arm and another in the ***,and i got all sleepy,the spots got dicreased and i wasnt itching anymore,and it knocked me out til the next day.
I am getting a red rash when my body  temperature change.  The rash appears on my arms (inside only), on my chest and neck.  it doesnt always itch.  it goes away after i cool off.  this also happens w/ emotional changes, as when i get upset or frustrated or nervous.  i also get itching sometimes w/ no rash that travels from my feet up to the top of my head and i become so itchy i have to stop running (it happens when i am running)or if i walk fast .Every times it happen it start: I fell itching then after that comes the rashes. I have this problem 5 month. 1st when it start to happen was everytime when I was trying to do some activites like sport or something like that but I only felt week itching and time after time itching were stronger and stronger so now I have itching + rashes. Everytime this happen i never sweat..actually since this start to happen i never get sweat. I get sweat only on my forehead. I try to see what will happen to run no matter the itching or rashes are coming so i run and run rashes come and itching was stronger and stronger but after 10-15 min itching were gone and rashes too. That happen everytime i try this. And after that no matter how much I run I dont get sweat. I use to wear earings for 1.5years and one of my friend have told me that the earings might contain nikel and maybe that is the reason of the problem so I took of my earings 1month ago but I still got this problem. What can be the reason of this and what can I do to this go away? Please help

You should try to keep the area dry and clean. Try some powder to absorb the sweat. Use a medicated sunscreen lotion - preferably one prescribed by your skin specialist.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

How are you doing now? Have you taken a course of steroids for your symptoms?

Have you consulted a skin specialist as yet? What has the doctor advised? Have any investigations been done?

Keep us posted and let us know if you have any other doubts..

Regards.
Dude I dont get sweat at all. LIke my pores are block or something like that.

This may be a immune reaction to heat.

What is the ambient temperature where you live?

Have you changed locations recently?

Has this started recently or has this been present earlier?

Anhydriosis is a condition, which comes to my mind immediately, this is a condition whereby the sweat glands do not react to the body s nervous system. However, this may be confirmed after a doctor's examination.

You should avoid heat and warm environments because this may lead to excessive heating of the body due to no release of the heat.

Hope this helps.

Best regards
I am a 18 year old male who is experianceing all of the things in this forum. through out highschool I was a sub five minute miler and was in great shape then my junior year I started geting sicker, allergic to more things and other problems. I have allergies to most foods and everything in the enviroment, and I might have celiac but they refuse to biopsy b/c I am allergic to it anyway. I have been to our regional hopistial as well as Mayo yet they always seem to be a year behind.

My food allergies fluctuate from being able to eat it with no problem to having to go to the ER. Then some of my worst become my staple foods That I eat every other day.  

Mayo made me sit in a hot box for a hour plus covered in a yellow powder thats turns purple if you sweat, the pain was immense, but they figured out I don't sweat on my chest and arms

Within the last year and a half a new problem has arisen what happens with me is that if I do really any physical excerise, walk into a warm enviroment, take a hot shower, get mad or nervous I break out with bumps on the tops of my hands, wrist and the underside of forearms and chest, along with this my whole body starts to itch (starts in by lower back then explodes to the rest of my body) a long with turning a deep red. And it is very hard to cool down when this decides to act up. I have even walked around outside for 30min in -5 degree weather to get relief, most of the time I use extremly cold water on my skin for about 10-15 min, or i use ice, or go jump ina snow bank, somtimes all the above

Creams make it worse (feels like I have molten plastic on my skin), antihistimes don't touch it, epi used to work ( when first started i thought I was in contact with somthing I was allergic to).

Recently I used the epi for it b/c my legs and arms were getting stiff (lymph nodes swelling, typical allergy) but I was out of luck it didn't work, so I had to go jump in a snow bank fro about a hour.

I just wanted to share my story hopefully it helps in some way.
sounds like heat hives (Cholinergic Urticaria) the samr thing happens to me...there is an excellent website that has more info about causes, treating, and most important living with it
http://www.heathives.com/
I have the same exact problem and yes i also have celiacs disease.  I figured when my Celiacs gene activated that is when my hives started happening because that is when i started to have all my problems.. I have had the hive problem for 7 years now. It was very bad in the beggining now it isnt as bad. I also think it does have somthing to do with hormones because i have found that when i take the pill it becomes much worse when it happens.
I am 19 years old and was diagnosed with celiacs when i was 17, my hives started when i was 13.  I have also found that aderax works but i will make you very sleepy when you first take it and i also bulit a tollerance to it.
You don't have to live with this. I was experiencing heat allergy and was fortunate enough to find a brilliant allergy specialist who recognized what it was. He prescribed the antihistamine Atarax (hydroxyzine). I took Atarax for about 2 years and I have been symptom free for about 4 years now. Of course, everyone is different so you may not have the same success that I did, but I wanted to share this information so others may be able to at least try it. One thing, though, Atarax is sedating so make sure you talk about this with your doctor before taking it. Cheers.
i think oranges r the cure.. from the time i hv started consuming oranges my intensity of the hives n rashes has come down drastically.. these days i eat arnd 3-4 oranges per day n i am 90% cured.. jus occasional iches thtz all.. rashes has totally stopped... it might oir  might not work for u but its worth tryin... cheers Raj
hi. my name is Rodion. i am 18. and i have problem with allergy!!! I get a red rash for about 11 months. The rash appears on my arms (inside only), on my chest and neck. When I was under the sun, in heat, angry. Please answer me. I need some help!!! ***@**** - my e-mail. SOS)))
hi. I have the same problem. It appeared for the first time last week, so immediatly I went to see my doctor. she looked me over, asked a few questions and told me I'm allergic to heat.
it is possible.
turns out, my grandmother also had the same problem. her heat allergys (allergies) began when she started taking birth control after her fifth child. my hives appeard the day before my period, so i do agree that is is hormone related.  

out of curiosity, does anyone here have lupus? i'm also being tested for lupus which is disease more common in women and is more agressive with hormone changes. i'm wondering if there may be a connection between the two?
All your comments are so interesting to me!  I am a 40 year female from Australia.  
I have celiac disease (diagnosed 5 yrs ago), have had thyroid disease (after my 2 children were born - 9 and 5 yrs ago), and have just last week been diagnosed with lupus .... all auto-immune disorders.
And I too have the 'rash' you are all talking about.  
2 months ago I started getting hives - on my inner arms, forehead, chest, stomach, legs and feet.  They first appeared on the day I got my period, went away about a week later, then appeared the next month on that day too.  Hormone related?  Must be I say.
I now take a claratyne (anti-histamine) every day and find I don't get the hives, just the rash - in the same places as the hives, but it doesn't seem to 'blow up' to hives, just a red rash (very small red dots).  The red rash is always symmetrical on my body - on both inner arms, both feet, etc at the same time.
When I go out in the sun the rash comes out.  When I run or surf (I live near the beach) the rash comes out.  It does seem that when I get hot the rash appears.  
It also seems to appear sometimes when I feel anxious about something.  
I think the rash is to do with hormones / heat / stress.  It comes and goes so often I'm finding it hard to determine what is causing it.  Some days it comes up and down a few times. It's so frustrating!
I am on a special diet my doctor thought might help - a low chemical diet.  I already eat gluten free, but now am also trialling eating only 'low chemical' foods to see if that helps - eg: no tomatoes, avocado, mushrooms, bacon, wine, etc.  The list is endless, but I'm willing to try it.  You never know - may just work and I can be rash free!!
Next month I am booked to see an allergist who specializes in allergys (allergies) and immunology about the rash and hives.  I'm hoping to learn alot more from this appt, so I'll keep you posted if I get any info that may help anyone else.
Best wishes!
i got bumps on my head &whole body from feet to head sometimes red &sometimes skin colour itching &burning sensastion.it will disappear in one or two days.so i will take head over bayth at that times.this happens from my meno pause time ie @my age 39.now iam 59 but still it persists.but after along time it occures now. that is after change of weather [iam back to madurai after visiting kodaikanal.
Oh man this sounds so familiar! I had my first episode when I was in college and went out for a walk on an early spring day. Was a couple of km's from home and started to get super crazy itchy all over my body, and was covered in hives. It took me quite a while to get home and by that time I had extreme swelling everywhere and looked like the Micheline man or Pillsbury dough boy -> literally. It was so awful, took over a week for my stretched skin to return to normal. I seem to find my symptoms worsen when my body temperature elevates with exercise or at work and the air around is a little cooler like in spring and fall, but worst of all is with humidity. I also will get crazy itching and hives on my hands if they are exposed in the winter.
I moved from Florida to Tennessee in the spring of 2008 and by that fall started to get an allergic rash on my trunk, legs, buttocks, back of neck, eyelids and just about everywhere actually! I have been to 3 doctors and had several allergy tests done but no definite diagnosis yet. I am noticing this happens when the seasons change but it doesn't go away quickly. It will last for months on end, go away for just a few and then come back with the next drastic change in temperature. This time around I have it on the palms of my hands among all other places mentioned and it is extremely miserable. Any ideas what exactly it is I might have? Thank you for any help. T
Hi all
I started to have this type of strange disease since 15 and i just dont know what should i call it! i have gone to so many doctors and no one could help me. i have tried hydroxyzine, Zaditen....
i'm totally ok in summers and it begins in fall, when i'm to a hot place, exposed to sun, have emotional changes with stress, temp Change and to sum up whenever my body starts ro sweat i feel untollerable burning feeling all over my body,and sometimes with little red spots on my arms, Inside. 1mm Diameter. its like a thousand needles stuck in my skin.an d moves like a stream on my skin and usally lasts for 2-3 minutes till i cool off.triamcinolone which is a steroid helpes and stopps it 4 less than 2 weeks and then it comes back again.
Since i moved to a new location with dry weather i rarely experience this feeling when fall begins.Now i have to move back to the place where i used to leave wich has  High Humidity  (RH%). it really makes me scared, i can't bear it.
Does anyone have the same feeling? PLEASE HELP ME for i'm totally HOPELESS.  
Alright so you are all not alone although I don't know the cure.  I have found that it is getting worse as time is going on and it is becoming almost impossible to work out.  Zrytec not working even a little bit. I have gone to a dermatologist and she really wasn't that interested in helping me.  Thinking that it may be hormonal, because it started after my son was born, I am making an appointment with the gynocologist.  I also get extremely car sick since he was born.  I am frustrated beyond belief.  
Hi, welcome to the forum, it needs careful evaluation of history to come to a particular diagnosis and your symptoms are suggestive of allergy. Your symptoms can be suggestive of physical or cholinergic Urticaria which presents as erythematous swelling of the skin secondary to temperature changes
.
Anti-histaminic and/or Leukotriene Receptor Antagonist (may be added if not controlled by antihistamines) will help to relieve the symptoms. You can go for the long term therapy; side effects will not be matter of concern except for mild sedation and sometimes headache.

Other causes can be contact or irritant dermatitis. Find out if you are allergic to some new garments which you wear in night times, or bed sheets etc. If such is the case, you need to avoid further exposure to it.  Other mentioned causes by you are unlikely.
I suggest you to consult a dermatologist for further evaluation. Take care and regards.
I have had this problem since I was 6 years old, I am now 19. It has gotten a little better over the years but not at all how I thought it would change. When I was little I was told "you will grow out of it" Obviously, that never happened. I used a mixture of antihistamines for a while, and that seemed to help ALOT. My suggestion is go to an allergist, STRESS that you have such a problem with it and can't function in a normal life without having this problem. If I had the cure, I would send it everyones way! Dealing with this for 13 years has been awful, and I am glad to know I am not the only one out there with this issue. Hang in there, hopefully it will get better!
I finally got cured, i went to a homeopath and he gave me some pills that i took the for tow month i started to get better each the after the first month and now i'm totally fine, tnx god, so plz try a homeopath and plz let me now of the results.
God bless u all.
i have had this problem for the past two years during there winter months. it seems like if im running, working out, in front of a fire place, or even wrestling with my nephew, or riding home with my sister and she has the heat blasting i start to ich. usually starting with my wrists or ankles and goes to my knees an neck and head. the itch is extremly intense like no other itch ive ever had. there is no way i could continue to do what ever i was doin before i startd to ich. it goes away if i move to a cooler enviornment such as outside or let a window down and **** everyone off in the car. i recently realized when i start itching i get a small rash on the inside of my wrist but it goes away about five minutes after the itching stops. i went to a doctor. he proscribed me some medicine called diphenhydramine. he said it was a antihistamine. but it doesnt work not even one bit!! dont ever go to a doctor in halifax virginia! i have no clue whats wrong with me or even if a doctor can firgure it out! any help on what it is that i have and a treatment? any help will be greatly apreciated!!!!!
Ive had this problem for two or three years as well. At first I itched with no redness at all but eventually it turned into red blotches from head to toe and as it progressed it stop itching but in its place, a stinging pain occured. It wears off after I cool off. My doctor was telling me about a shot for everyday that might help but lost contact with her. Anyone else heard of a shot?

i have a 4yr old that started with this about a year ago. the day after Christmas last year he got so overheated an broke out in the 'rash' that he almost passed out. the doctotrs keep saying oh maybe a virus or seasonal or whatever other bs they feel like saying. i know something is triggering it and would love to know what it is. thanks to all of you for your comments because i thought he was the only one going through this.
I have had chronic hives for the last four years with the hopes to my body would change or grow out of it.  It seems to be the worst on cold days and after a workout first thing in the morning.  At one point, my throat and tongue used to swell weakly.  I have tried everything prescribed by my allergist but nothing seems to work.  Prednizone used to clear me up but that does northing.  The only thing that seems to keep it manageable for me is to shower first thing in the morning no matter what i am doing.  It seems to help with body termpaerature and the severity of the breakouts.  The tough part about this condition is it affects the way you deal with your daily life.  I don't shave everyday - especially on days i have to meet with customers - for the fear of a reaction on my face.  Hopefully someone has some answers?

my 11 year old daughter has hives everywhere.it is her first time getting them and they have been there for two days she is miserable.i have been on the internet all night and the only thing i can figure out is heat.  temperature changes we don't have air but all the grocery stores and family members do . it is 110 during the day and 95 at night. but in the pool or airconditioning its only about65 or 70 degrees. wish i had a solution for her other than antihistamines and suffering.
Most doctors have difficulty identifying the cause of your urticaria. You will likely be prescribed an allergy suppressant such as Zyrtec, which works pretty good  in suppressing your symptoms.

Everyone does not suffer from hives. We (i.e. individuals that suffer from hives) are a very small group within the 20 percent of the U. S. population that suffer from allergies. With this said, we might look to our past medical/health history for answers. One thing that I would like to know from everyone who has posted information to this forum is whether anyone has ever suffered from mild to severe asthma as I have, or a related condition.  A lot of people like to think that they have outgrown or overcome asthma, but not so fast. What you are experiencing functions just like an asthmatic allergy. Allergy symptoms to almost any change (e. g., change of weather, temperature, stress such as not lifting weights to lifting weights) can trigger an immune response when you have asthma whether you think you have rid yourselves of asthma or NOT. Perhaps, you were never diagnosed with asthma. I have known a number of adults to learn of their asthma in their thirties.

As with urticaria or hives, most asthma doctors would struggle to identify your triggers.

When you are experiencing a hives outbreak, there is almost always an increase/change in your breathing, and possibly, some mucous in your lungs. Pay close attention to these changes when you are having a hives outbreak.