Allergy Community
Hives after birth

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Hives after birth

I just found the post from the other woman who gets hives after giving birth.  This happens to me as well.  I got hives/eczema within a few weeks of giving birth in 2006 to my first child.  They went away in a couple of months.  I had another baby 12 weeks ago, and the hives have been even worse this time.  Biopsy shows that it's the same reaction as last time.  They are much, much itchier than anything I have ever experienced.   I've been on singulair, zyrtec, benedryl, zantac, and atarax daily for about 3 weeks as well as 30mgs of prednisone for 10 days and it has actually spread during this time.  My dermatologist and obstetrician wonder if I am sensitive to progesterone.  I breastfeed exclusively, so I get frequent progesterone spikes, and after the most recent pregnancy I put in a mirena (IUD with progesterone implant), which would have added to the problem if this the case.  We pulled my IUD out 3 days ago, so maybe that will eventually help.  Neither my dermatologist nor my OB have seen this before, but I would love to know if there is anything we could do about it.  I do not normally have reactions to my cycle, and have been on oral birth control previously (estrogen based).  

This discussion is related to Chronic hives months after having a baby.
I had hives after giving birth too - in my case it was just local dermatitis from the adhesive on the pressure bandage they gave me.
I also have had this issue. I gave birth to my son on March 17th 2007 and have had hives every single day since I had him. I usually get the hives once to twice a day and they are severly itchy. I have tried to seek help from dermetologists but they always say that they don't see any reason why and advise me to take an antihestimine such as benadryl. The benadryl helps to relieve the itching for a little while but the hives always return. It's been almost 3 years and there has been no relief, not even for a day.
I am also suffering! I have been diagnosed with Chronic idiopathic urticaria since having my first child who is 2 in November! I would get hives covering my whole body including my face and it would get especially worse in the heat. As I was pregnant with my 2nd child, although I still had the hives, it didn’t appear as much as normal but now he is 10 weeks old, it has come back with a vengeance!!! I have been to many doctors, dermatologists, herbalists and homeopaths (who said it was the bodies reaction to a traumatic birth, however my 2nd birth wasn't bad at all!), and nothing has worked other than steroids, but I do not want to live on steroids for the rest of my life!!! I am breast feeding and did with my 1st child, but stopped after 6 months to go on steroids as it got so bad!! - I don’t really want to have to go back onto them again and am appealing for help as I, probably like all the others on here find it really painful, itchy and very depressing - I just don’t know what to do anymore and doctors / dermatologists don’t see any urgency, and tell me  nonchalantly that ‘one day it will just disappear’!!!! – Well it hasn’t yet, and meanwhile I really need help with it! If they ever suffered the way we are then maybe they wouldn't act so casual about the whole situation.
Hi, welcome to the forum, there are many risk factors for urticaria (hives), but it is rare to be associated with pregnancy and it can be possible. Three distinct types of allergic manifestations have been studied which is associated with pregnancy. They are autoimmune progesterone dermatitis of pregnancy, Polymorphic eruption of pregnancy (PEP) and Laryngopathia gravidarum.

In your case it seems to be due to progesterone sensitivity. Body is known to become sensitive to its own endogenous hormones. This condition can worsen when one is given progesterone intramuscularly. In such condition, estrogen administration will reduce the symptoms. Anti histamines like loratidine or citirizine are quite helpful o reduce the symptoms. Even bronchodilators may be needed if breathing difficulty. Glucocorticoids may help in severe cases. Take care and regards.
OH MY GOD, I feel like you're telling my story! I have been researching for months, going to see doctors, taking 2 kinds of medications, and I still have these hives! My son just turned 1 this week (3rd child) and I was somehow expecting these hives to magically disappear when he hit his first birthday, but they haven't. I have never had hives in my life, never had any postpartum issues after either of my other 2 kids either. I first started getting these "itchy bumps" at 6 weeks postpartum. I had no idea what they were so I went to a general MD, that is where my hell began. She sent me to a "skin specialist" who falsely diagnosed me with SCABBIES! My life spiraled out of control for weeks...my entire family had to be treated (even the baby) with this horrible cream, we tore the house apart to wash everything, but still the bumps kept coming. I was beginning to go crazy imagining bugs living in my body, I was scared to hold my baby thinking I would pass them to him. No one else was getting any "bites" though. We had Orkin come twice to check for bugs, I went to a dermatologist to test the bumps to see if they were bug bites but nothing was conclusive. I then went to an allergist who said exactly what katbaby08's dr. said, that because my skin is so sensitive to everything (and that I have Dermatographic urticaria), an allergy test won't be conclusive anyway and prescribed me with the 2 meds to help reduce the symptoms.

How is there no research on this? How are there no allergists aware of this? I want to find a dr. that can actually help but where do we begin?
This is my second time around with the urticaria. I had it with my second pregnancy and now with my third. The first time around I was in agony also, trying to figure out what it was, going to all these specialists. And, FINALLY, someone named it...urticaria (which is basically a rash with no explanation). I have found that Zyrtec works the best, but you have to double up on it. It only comes in 10mg, so doubling would be 20mg, which is just as strong as any other meds they will give you at the doctors. They double up on it in Europe, so, for me, that will have to be safe enough to overcome the pain and itchiness. Do not let any time pass between your next day dose or you will get the itchies again and initially it will take a week to fully kick in and the hives will disappear while you remain on it.
  The only doctor that was able to help me the first time around was my child's pediatrician. He told me it was a virus that can last up to 5 years in adults and will either, eventually burn itself out, or will attach onto another virus (such as a flu or common cold) and exit your body at that time. Needless to say, I got the flu and it did leave at that time, one year later.  Now I have it again, 4 years later after having another child and I am praying for the flu!