Allergy Community
Hives and Sore throat and Swollen joints

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

I have had hives for the past 4 weeks. It used to be one or 2 on my stomach every night and then they would be gone in the morning. Now im getting them throughout the day and there are at least 20 on my stomach and some on my back, even some on my scalp. I convinced myself it was merely stress related since I have recently moved from Ontario to Calgary with my boyfriend. However, the other night at a restaurant my hives started up severely around my torso and my upper lip started to swell up and was that way for about 4 hours(whether this be a reaction to a food allergy or not, but I only know that im allergic to clementines and there was nothing on the menu that had this ingredient) Today I woke up with a very sore throat and my wrists around my joints have swelled right up.

I am a 20 year old female and have no family history of joint disorders or cancer. I have asthma as well.

Any ideas what could be going on?
Hi, your history is suggestive of physical urticaria. This can be induced by environmental stimuli, such as heat, cold, pressure applied to the skin, exercise, water, vibration, and sunlight. Hence it is very important to rule out any of these exposures recently before the appearance of the whelps. The triggering factor should be identified and further exposure should be avoided.

This condition can be diagnosed with proper history and allergen challenge test by skin specialist or immunologist. Initial treatment includes start of second generation anti histamines, as it is not improving, in such cases doubling of the standard dose helps against prescription. Even H2 antihistamines can be considered. Adding steroids can be quite helpful to alleviate the inflammation and reduce itching.

Now you seem to have pharyngitis with bacterial infection of the joint (infective arthritis). Apply ice packs regularly (4 times a day), take OTC painkillers, antiseptic gargle, antibiotics against prescription. I suggest you to consult physician and undergo examination for further evaluation. Take care and regards.