Allergy Community
Hives and lupus?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Hives and lupus?

I was diagnosed with SLE after breaking out for months in widespread body hives, along with malar rash, joint flares, and positive ANA titre. The last time the hives surfaced, I was on 10 mg Prednisone for 4 months before they finally went away. I was completely free of hives for about 3 months, and now they are back, but more widespread than ever. Currently, I am only taking 500 mg Naproxen as directed by my doctor, and OTC antihistamines to help with the hives, but I wonder about a couple of things--
a) What is the best treatment for SLE-induced chronic hives?
b) These hives seem to be extremely sun-sensitive-- is it possible to develop lupus sun sensitivity randomly?
c) Is it possible that I have some sort of infestation this time? I ask because the hive locations are different than they have previously been and have occasionally (but rarely) appeared in scabies-related locations. However, my boyfriend and I live together and share a bed, and he has been totally unaffected. Also, the itch is relatively tolerable and is more like an irritating prickly feeling than anything...I'm just a little paranoid and want to make sure to treat these appropriately.

Thanks in advance for your assistance! :)
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Corticosteroids help improve SLE symptoms. And medications like Plaquenil an antimalarial medication is found to be particularly effective for SLE with skin involvement. Sun exposure can worsen symptoms of SLE, you should limit your exposure to ultraviolet rays, especially outdoors.  Scabies infection is caused by a mite Sarcoptes Scabiei, it burrows in the skin folds of hands and feet and causes intense itching mostly at night. Scrapings from the skin help to arrive at a diagnosis for appropriate therapy. Please discuss this with your doctor am sure he will provide further assistance.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.