Allergy Community
Hives from Lawn Chemicals?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Hives from Lawn Chemicals?

I've had pollen allergies since age 15 (I'm 34 now), always marked by a runny nose and watery eyes.  Two weeks ago, however, I mowed the lawn and in addition to a great deal of sneezing found that I had hives on my stomach, chest, arms, and back.  I've never had hives before, as far as I know.  I thought that maybe it was a more severe allergic reaction to pollen, but the next time I mowed the lawn (wearing a dust mask, after taking Zyrtec) I had no sneezing but still developed hives.  The owner of the property has the lawn chemically treated, and another tenant of the same property got hives when she mowed the lawn as well.  Does anyone have experience with or knowledge of lawn chemicals causing allergic reactions like this?  Thank you!
Hi, welcome to the forum, your symptoms are suggestive of irritant dermatitis. It seems secondary to the pollens, or chemicals. The usual contents of lawn chemical would be inorganic compounds, which can have health risks. It is especially seen in low humidity conditions. But another possibility would be contact with mold present on grass.

You need to get information from the owner about the chemical used. Prevention is better. You should remember that you will always be allergic to it. The reaction can be more severe with subsequent exposure.
You can try anti histaminics against prescription, whenever there is a allergic manifestations.

I suggest you to consult skin specialist for further evaluation. Take care and regards.