Allergy Community
Hives on a 9 year old .. what should I do?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Hives on a 9 year old .. what should I do?

.Hi. For one week now my 9 year old has been breaking out in hives. They usually appear when he wakes up, before he's even out of bed, and then disappear within20 minutes. Then throughout the day he'll get a hive here and there but nothing awful. But after dinner he'll break out bad. Last night he didn't though only a few after dinner. Then this morning maybe two really small hives and then none all day.  At dinner tonight he broke out the worst he ever has and the hives have been coming and going for two hours now. These are the worst I've seen on him. His whole arm was covered and then he had patches on his back and belly. BUt they are not on his whole body. -his arm terrible, his lower back, and a few on his belly.  I gave him benadryl and an hour later they are ... Almost gone ...  but within the hour a new one or two came up on his leg and other arm????
What should I do?  Is the first step an allergist?  
When he was little he would get hives often at night after a bath but he hasn't in a few years.  
Any advice would be so appreciated.
Very worried .
Related Discussions
6 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Not sure if you guys can get this out there but the best i've ever found for hives is a product called Phenergen. Hope it helps. Sending healing love to your son.

xxx
Blank
Also you may want to have him tested for food and environmental allergens
Blank
Have you changed soaps or detergents recently?  Anything new in his diet?  Any new medications?

I think he definitely needs to be seen about these hives, but some allergists require a referral from your primary care doc (in this case your son's pediatrician), so you may want to start there.  If, however, your son already has an allergist, then definitely call them and get him in to be seen.

When he has the hives, does he have any other symptoms such as shortness of breath or coughing?  Are the hives painful or just itchy?
Blank
One other thought - the benadryl you're giving him, is it dye free?  If not, try getting and giving him some of teh dye free kind - there are some people (my niece for one) who are allergic to the red dye used in benadryl, so that could possibly be one reason why he's breaking out in the hives again after you've given him the meds.

I also just saw the post by ozzy - phenergan is an antihistamine, although it's usually more commonly used for nausea/vomiting prevention - but it's definitely something you could ask his doctor about - it's only available by prescription.

Best of luck and please keep us posted.
Blank
Thank you so much. He has a cough and when he gets the hives his nose runs. He gets them the same time every night. He's starting again now and he hasn't eaten anything in hours.

They itch but they don't hurt.

I am going to see an allergist. We went to the pediatrician and she told us she thought he had walking pheumonia but ..... I don't know .... bc why would that give him hives everyday at 5PM?
Blank
Oh and his chest was clear at the dr.she tested fro steph too but neg.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Allergy Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank