ALLERGY
COMMUNITY
Hot spots in my legs
by aMontes, Mar 02, 2009
I've been experiencing hot spots on both legs near my knees and on my right shin. The sensation only last a few seconds, and it's been happening for a few months now. I do not have any allergies or have not been in contact with anything out of the ordinary,my skin doesn't appear to look different also (btw it's not visible, just a hot sensation I get maybe 3 to 4 times a day). What could it be?  

This discussion is related to Hot spots in my leg.
Member Comments (11)
by Dr. Kokil MathurBlank, Mar 02, 2009
Thanks for writing to the forum!
Since you have a heat sensation (inflammation) that comes on and off, I think you could have deep vein thrombosis of the deep veins of the leg or maybe valvular dysfunction of the deep veins of the legs. This can be diagnosed by color Doppler or by angiogram of the leg veins. High blood pressure, kidney dysfunction, diabetes and hypothyroidism should be ruled out.
I would strongly recommend you to see a vascular specialist. It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage.  Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
by aMontes, Mar 03, 2009
Thank you very much for the advice. I do not have high blood pressure; although, I did have a kidney infection a few years ago. I will defenitely get it checked out.
by aMontes, Mar 03, 2009
Could the hot spots be a sign of vericous veins?
by Dr. Kokil MathurBlank, Mar 04, 2009
Thanks for keeping me posted!
Yes, they can be. As I mentioned earlier they are the signs of a deep vein thrombus. This then ultimately leads to varicose veins.
Hope this helps. Do let me know if there is any thing else and keep me posted. Take care!
by Marshagb, Jul 27, 2010
What does hypothyroidism have to do with hot spots? I have hot spots on both shins and I am hypothyroid.
by Dr. Kokil MathurBlank, Jul 27, 2010
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Hypothyroidism makes the blood flow sluggish and increases the chance of atherosclerosis because of that. Hence clots can form. The other possibility is skin changes associated with low thyroid function.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
by Brenda2124, Feb 16, 2011
I believe you hit the nail in the head, I was recently diagnosed with a Thyroid condition and I've been taking the meds for 3 months now. And in the past 3 months is that I've noticed the same heat sensation every one in here is experiencing.
Now with that said, I'm wondering if it's because I have to go up on my Thyroid Med strengths.

Thank you
Brenda2124
by ConditionBLK, Oct 10, 2013
I am getting the same things in my left leg, lost my right about 10 years ago. They only last a few seconds, with no pain. I also have allergies and am very active. Thank you for your help.
by banderasgrl, Oct 15, 2013
I have hot spots On my legs.  Mine hurt.  Does anyone else have them that hurt?