Allergy Community
Hot spots in my legs

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Hot spots in my legs

I've been experiencing hot spots on both legs near my knees and on my right shin. The sensation only last a few seconds, and it's been happening for a few months now. I do not have any allergies or have not been in contact with anything out of the ordinary,my skin doesn't appear to look different also (btw it's not visible, just a hot sensation I get maybe 3 to 4 times a day). What could it be?  

This discussion is related to Hot spots in my leg.
Thanks for writing to the forum!
Since you have a heat sensation (inflammation) that comes on and off, I think you could have deep vein thrombosis of the deep veins of the leg or maybe valvular dysfunction of the deep veins of the legs. This can be diagnosed by color Doppler or by angiogram of the leg veins. High blood pressure, kidney dysfunction, diabetes and hypothyroidism should be ruled out.
I would strongly recommend you to see a vascular specialist. It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage.  Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
Thank you very much for the advice. I do not have high blood pressure; although, I did have a kidney infection a few years ago. I will defenitely get it checked out.
Could the hot spots be a sign of vericous veins?
Thanks for keeping me posted!
Yes, they can be. As I mentioned earlier they are the signs of a deep vein thrombus. This then ultimately leads to varicose veins.
Hope this helps. Do let me know if there is any thing else and keep me posted. Take care!
What does hypothyroidism have to do with hot spots? I have hot spots on both shins and I am hypothyroid.
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Hypothyroidism makes the blood flow sluggish and increases the chance of atherosclerosis because of that. Hence clots can form. The other possibility is skin changes associated with low thyroid function.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
I believe you hit the nail in the head, I was recently diagnosed with a Thyroid condition and I've been taking the meds for 3 months now. And in the past 3 months is that I've noticed the same heat sensation every one in here is experiencing.
Now with that said, I'm wondering if it's because I have to go up on my Thyroid Med strengths.

Thank you
Brenda2124
I am getting the same things in my left leg, lost my right about 10 years ago. They only last a few seconds, with no pain. I also have allergies and am very active. Thank you for your help.
I have hot spots On my legs.  Mine hurt.  Does anyone else have them that hurt?
For the past 2 weeks I have felt hot spots in mostly my arms and legs.  I worried at first about a blood clot but I was always told a clot was red and hot to the touch and none of these ever are.  Only internally hot.  They only last several seconds and disappear.  Then I may not have another for several hours or even a day or so.  I do take Lamictal and Topamax and admit a miss a day here and there.  Could this be the culprit or could this be indicative of something serious?  Does anyone have any answers?  
I've been experiencing them in my right thigh as well for the past couple months. A burning sensation under the skin that only last a few seconds. They come and go. I do not have veracious veins, high blood pressure, actually it's low if anything or any other medical issues that I'm aware of. I did find that when I rubbed the hot spot it started to sting for several minutes. It felt as if I was given an injection and feeling the medication sting as in entered the thigh. Weird.  
I am a 45 year old female with low blood pressure & am on HRT following a Hysterectomy 11 years ago. Over the last 2-3 years I've been experiencing an odd sensation from time to time, often when I've been walking or on my feet,  but not exclusively so, I get a very hot red patch just above my knee cap. The patch is around 3" and very hot to the touch. It doesn't itch or hurt & when it subsides there is no sign it was there. I'm curious. Anyone got any ideas?