Allergy Community
How can I suprress the cough to get through business meetings?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

I am a professional and have to deal with governmental meetings.  I need a way to suppress a cronic (chronic) cough at least while in meetings.  I am 57 yrs old and have always had problems with sinus infections, asthma, and pnemonia (pneumonia).  I have been battling this cough for 4 mths which has been treated with 4 different antobiotics.   I believe my cough is due to extreme sinus drainage.  The mucus I cough up literally gages me to the point of vomiting.  And then the vomit is the same mucus crap.  How can I suppress this long enough to get through a day of meetings?
cought drops or hard candy or you can take some musix D to help
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The other causes for long term cough besides asthma are GERD and post nasal drip from allergies. GERD is gastro esophageal reflux disease where the stomach acids come back into the esophagus and spill into the wind pipe causing cough. Treatment with antacids will help neutralize the acids. Post nasal drips can occur with sinusitis and throat infections. Giving up cigarettes will abolish smoker's cough in 90% of people. Talk to your GP about the other causes for cough in the meantime you could try warm salt water gargles, antihistamines and breathing exercises.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.