Allergy Community
How long does it take to recover from a shellfish reaction?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

My son who has lived with a life-threatening peanut allergy since age 2 (now age 15) had a very serious reaction to shellfish after eating onion rings fried in the same oil as shell fish Friday night.  He had stomach pains and diareah all night, but went to sleep.  He awakened with a face so swollen that he could not open his eyes and his lips were huge.  I administered the maximum dose of benedryl (called the doctor)- he was not in anaphalactic shock, so I did not administer his epi pen.

It is 48 hours later- and many doses of benedryl- he is still quite swollen.  How long until his face will go back to normal.  Should I be doing anything else?

Margemom
Next time you see something like that happening, I would take him to the ER.  Food allergies are VERY dangerous and cause anaphalatic shock which could possibly lead to death (tightening and closing off of the airways)  Always carry Benadryl with you and give him the highest allowable dose for his age at the first sign of a severe allergic reaction until you can contact an urgent care or a nurse or go to an ER.  You may want to talk to his dr. about him carrying around some epinepherin shots (that's probably what they will give him in the ER) that he can administer to himself as soon as he starts experience symptoms of an allergic reaction,  Hope it helps.
Much love and God Bless,
Born Free