Allergy Community
How to stop hives?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

How to stop hives?

In August 2009, I started to have many raised red bumps like mosquito-bite. Sometimes, there were only a few bumps but other times there were many bumps in one area. They started out small then grow bigger and join together becoming a one large raised bump in that entire area, very itchy. For that month, it usually come out everyday at night time and I took itchy relieved medicine to ease them off and they'd  be gone within 2 hours or so. Then there is nothing happened in Sep. But the pain is come back to me in October and until now. In October and now I got it almost every single day. Most of the time, they appear behind my knees' area. Other recurred places are around my neck, along my thighs, and even all over on the skin of my head. Those are the only areas that they keep grow and disappear. I tried to pay attention to the food I eat, my routine and etc but haven't found out the causes yet. I noticed that, the bumps usually appear at  nitght time around 11pm, once a while it appear right away after I got out of shower or just woke up. Right now, I just put on lotion all over my body and take itchy medicine whenever they come up. Is there anyway to completely get rid of them or do some kind of testing to know what cause it? I already went to internal doctor but no help just gave me allegra prescription. I would love to know a way to cure it and not just depend on medication all the times. Thanks.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you?Hives form in response to histamine, a chemical released from specialized cells along the skin's blood vessels. In particular, physical urticaria presents with hives caused by direct physical stimulation of the skin. Examples include: cold, heat, sun exposure, vibration, pressure, sweating, and exercise. The hives usually occur right where the skin was stimulated and rarely appear anywhere else. And most of the hives appear within one hour after exposure. The best thing to do is to identify the offending trigger and to avoid it. Otherwise, antihistamine medications are indicated. If it persists, have this checked by your doctor for proper management. Take care and do keep us posted.