Allergy Community
I AM ALERGIC(allergic) TO MY OWN HAIR!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

I AM ALERGIC(allergic) TO MY OWN HAIR!

CAN I BE ALLERGIC TO MY OWN HAIR? MY HAIR IS LONG,MIDDLE OF MY BACK.IF A HAIR GETS ANYWHERE IN MY CLOTHES,BRA ,SHIRT ECT..I KNOW IT IMMEADITLY. I CAN REACH UP IN MY CLOTHES AND PULL IT OUT.THE HAIR THEN LEAVES A WELT THE SHAPE OF THE HAIR AS IT WAS LAYING ON MY SKIN. IT ITCHES FOR A FEW MIN. BEFOR AN AFTER I PULL IT AWAY FROM SKIN. AS I SAID I HAVE LONG HAIR,ANYWHERE MY HAIR TOUCHES I GET A RED ITCHY RASH WITH LITTLE WHITE BUMPS. IT SEEM TO STAY ALOT LONGER THAN THE ONES I GET IN MY CLOTHES. ANY ONE HAVE ANT INFO ON THIS PLEASE LET ME KNOW
Tags: hair, rash, itch, Skin, bumps
Me too!!!  I am so tired of dealing with this problem, I finally googled it to see if anyone else gets this way!  Have you learned the cause yet?  I am 42 years old and have been fighting this for about 10 years now.  I am an 11-year breast cancer survivor, so I believe it began when my hair grew back in after chemo.
I know for real, how crazy is that!  I have an insane amount of chronic pain, so it's just another ridiculous symptom.

Do you guys have any other health things it could be related to? Mastaud, you said cancer.  Mickeyrae, any ideas?

I'm allergic to dust mites, so with all my dry skin coming off, who knows, maybe it's attracting dust mites.  I also have psoriasis, basically really bad dandruff.  They shouldn't related, but who knows.  

Have you guys tried different shampoos, and/or shaving more hair off the rest of your body?  

This is just insanity...
I experience the same thing.  If a hair gets trapped in my shirt, clothes, etc. I break out in hives (red raised itchy areas).  I just went to an allergist/immunologist.  He did the skin test, intradermal skin test, and is now sending me for blood work.  I think some may have to do with hormones too and therefore the blood tests.  I would recommend that you see an allergist too...this may help.
I also have this problem and ironically am a hair stylist. Iused to think it was other things laundry soap make up maybe even bed bugs.I must have tried 10 different shampoos with no avail. I now use no hair products except shampoo(what else can you do have to wash my hair) After 2 years it has to be my hair. It is only where my hair touches mostly face and neck but sometimes back and chest. I also believe it my be harmone related as it occured after a female procedure I had, If you find any answers or something that helps please let me know!