Allergy Community
I have Aquagenic Urticaria does any one else?!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

I've had aquagenic urticaria for 2 yrs now and where I live the doctor told me I am the only one that has this in the city.

I was told to do my research on this disease online because my doctor did not have much information about it because its occurance is so rare.

All the medication that was prescribed didnt work. Even using boxes of baking soda  in the bathtub doesnt work and thats what my dermatologist told me would get rid of the hives in the first place.

I'm sick of just dealing with the growing amount of itchy hives. My doctor told me with aquagenic the hives stay on the torso and rarely go anywhere else. After 2 yrs they have spread and go anywhere depending on the amount of time I'm showering/working out/ or even just standing in the sun or wearing my winter coat, and lately i just always have them.

I've dealt with this all alone long enough and I was wondering if there was anyone else who has it? Are there any other tricks of the trade to deal with this awful disease!!??

thanks alot!! <3 lauren
I am so sorry. I completely understand what you are going through, or atleast in a sense. I have had hives for 4 months now and nothing is making them go away or even get better. its so frustrating because this is the most crucial time in my life as I am a single mom trying to make a life for my 1 year old and I. I am just graduating college and interviewing for all these big jobs and its humiliating waking up with hives. I dont know whats causing them. ofcourse the doctor says stress. I have tried a lot of things but nothing has worked.. has your doctor prescribed anything?
Have you tried Calendula, or Marigold Flower and Chickweed. You can make a paste from the stems & flower tops. Also you can try Burdock root, and dandelion root made into a tincture. Just boil, cool, and drink.
I have aquagenic urticaria too!
I live in the Netherlands and I was told that there are only a few people with aquenic urticaria in the world.
I take anti-histamine (128mg) every day, and it prevents most of it. I would really like to have other medication since this one makes me tired and I have problems concentrating.

When I take a swim in an outdoor swimming pool filled with tapwater I get hives which stay there for about 3 months, its terrible!

I hope this post helps you, since you posted your message already a while ago I hope you read it.
my doctor (kaiser) told me I have urticaris vasculitis and the doctors in OSHU told me it's Granuloma annulare whom should I belive, I got better just few months ago and just left with scares all over my arm,legs,back and now it stated again I can understand what you are going threw. It is really terrible especally when I have to dress up and i love to wear sleeve less but I can't no more.I don't know if this is from cold weather sense I moved from CA to WA state.
If anyone can help me .
Hello
I am 23 years old girl living in Mauritius. I have been suffering from aquagenic urticaria since 8 years now. i have tried many things but noting worked out well. it would be nice if somebody could help..
for the last bout of urticaria, my allergist (MD) prescribed a course of steroids, followed by the antihistamine Avarax, a new fast acting AH that seemed to do the trick.  

if you've tried everything and nothing works, you can look into Chinese medicine, herbs or even acupuncture, which my neighbor (had full body hives for weeks) tried.  It took one week using herbs and acupunture for hers to completely disappear.  Hang in there, it's not forever.
Well, I have also been suffering from aquagenic urticaria since I was 12/13 yrs old. I am 25 now. I have struggled with it for several years (the unbearable itching and red spots and hives everywhere, every time I take a shower or go to the pool or work out). It started when I lived in Germany, and now I live in Louisville, KY. It has not changed when I moved to KY 10 years ago. I mentioned it to my allergies few years ago, and she prescribed zyrtec (antihistamine). It helps all my allergies, including the water allergy. If I take the zyrtec every day, I do not itch and there are not red spots or hives. Zyrtec does make you quiet a bit tired, but you can take it before you go to bed.
Actually I have the aquagenic urticaria also, And it doesn't just happen in the shower or the bath for me, it happens at lakes and pools, lotin, perfume and even when I sweat, I've had this for at least 2 years. I live in missouri and its usually really humid, And i itch almost all the time frome the little red skin bumps, they usually are from my neck to my lower torso.
Water urticaria, also known as aquagenic urticaria and aquagenous urticaria, is an extremely rare form of physical urticaria. It is sometimes described as an allergy. In affected persons, water on the skin causes hives to appear within 15 minutes and last for up to two hours.
Water contact can cause aquagenic urticaria, presumably due to chlorine or some other trace chemical in the water, although distilled water has been known to cause this reaction.
The reaction can usually be controlled with epinephrine, antihistamines, or cortisone-like drugs. Itching can be controlled with cold packs or commercial topical agents that contain menthol, camphor, eucalyptus oil, aloe, antihistamines, or cortisone preparations.
ref:http://www.myonlinewellness.com/topic/physicallergy

i think i have the same thing because every time i take a shower/bath i get these red itchy bumps scattered on my body (in no particular place), they itch like crazy but if i dont scratch them they go away within an hr or so...it also happens when it rains. i never knew there was a name for it though. years ago i used to getchronic hives all over and my lips and eyes would swell every single day. when i went to an allergist he said that i wasnt allergic to anything in particular but that i had a condition (dont remember the name) that most young people get for a couple of years and then it just goes away. i had to take benadryl, zyrtec and singulair everyday for about a yr...now that doesnt happen to me everyday, but the thing with the bath/shower does. i dont know if thats related...
I am 20 years old and have been suffering from Aquagenic Urticaria since around the age of 13. I break out in the rash whenever my chest or back come into contact with water from any source, at any temperature. I can take Fexotabs (an antihistamine) around an hour before contact with water to stop the break out, however only do this when in public or need to go out as soon as i've showered.
I read on another forum that a few people got piercings around the time of them developing the disorder. I got several piercings at that time and am interested to hear if anyone else did?
I wish someone would reseach this further and some day find a cure to this horrible debilitating illness.
I am 18 years old and first started showing signs of aquagentic uticaria 7 years ago. I break out in hives mostly around my torso every time I come into contact with any kind of water--In the sea, in the shower, even my own sweat.

I was wondering whether anyone else who has this allergy has fair skin. I do, and I was curious as to whether this was a common precedent. Please let me know if this is the case.
WOW. i've never heard about this problem . i've heard and seen a person who is allergic  to sunlight. a lilttle girl about 8. so sad.  I hope with the new technology in this world that they will find something to help with your  problems.. i dont think i have any problems like that. i break out  with brown circles when i work out from the sweat but thats all. i dunno what it is but i've had them 4 about 2 years.
What about drinking water ? can you do that? Must fluids are basically water. what do you guys do?>
Wow, sounds like this really is more common than the doctors think it is. I'm pretty certain I have this condition as well. For about 10 years now I've broken out in hives every time I shower. I also have them sometimes when I wake up in the morning, or sometimes after exercising. Mostly they are on my chest, stomach and back, but occasionally spread to my shoulders. They itch and burn like my skin has been burnt with an iron in spots.

I know it's not related to soap, fragrance, lotions etc b/c I've tried about every sensitive skin kind on the market. I went to the dermatologist and she just told me I have hyper reactive skin, and that I should avoid hot showers and take a daily antihistamine. And go to the hospital if I ever feel like I'm going to faint when I get them b/c it could be a severe reaction.

I've tried not taking hot showers and it doesn't help. I've tried the antihistamines and they are helpful, but I can't take them forever. My husband and I are TTC so I had to go off of them and of course the hives are getting worse. It's SO frustrating, I actually dread taking showers anymore. :(
I too have a severe sensitivity to water - even going into anaphylatic shock.

This is my first post so I want to check out the process before writting more. If this post show up properly I will write more.
First post worked, so here is more of my story.

After coming back from first Gulf War I started having severe itching after showers or swimming. It worsened over several years, until one day I went into shock and almost died.

Since then I have seen many doctors, and have found a regime of medications that keep me alive.
I am sensitive to many thinks that touch my skin, like cloths, furniture, paper products and many types of soft rubber or plastic materias. I'm also react when water dries on my skin. I can't go swimming or take a shower. Getting wet is not the problem, its afterward when it dries.

Even with all the meds  I still have to avoid water. Buying clothes is difficult, but I'm o.k. with some all-cotton products without wrinkle guards, stain guards, etc. I have covers to sit on so I don't touch furniture.

I have learned a lot about living with this problem. I use hair dryers a lot on my clothes and skin.
I am a45 yr old man, I have had this alergic (allergic) reaction to water of any form (sweat, shower, swimming) all my life. I gave up on doctors years ago and just try to stay out of water and dry as much as possible. I shower quickly (less then 5 min) 1x a week and just wash with a washcloth daily in areas like armpits and croch. This has kept my suffering at manageable levels for years now. coton clothes are all i can wear to help with the hives and rashes. so you are not alone and doctors only recently have tried to understand this alergy (allergy)/disease that many of us have suffered with for years.
Me too, My broke out recently after Dental work, after several tears with out the hives, it is back with a vengance, I am on a antihistimine Hydroxy ,it seems to have stopped some of the itching but the big wealts from the Hives are still there,I didnt realise water could do this,I know when my body channges temperature its worse. I read these posts with interest and will try anything, PS The effects of the Anti histimies is awful I feel either Hyped and then worn out, darent Drive.
Forgot to say, sitting in front of the PC monitor starts me itching also, I assumed its the heat from it, I try to sit back.
I have urticaria and bad. It was discovered about 5 years ago, took a year off, and now will not go away. I pretty much cannot do anything without having to explain why my arm looks like somoene beat the **** out of me. I am on 4 times the amount of anti-histamine (sp). I have to take 2 zyrtec, 2 allegra, and one 1 claritin because I am allergic to benedryl. So, I truly understand everything some of you are going through.
The more and more I read about this disorder I think I might have it.

Whenever I take a shower, swim in the pool, or sweat a lot, I get ichy spots on my chest, neck, and back.

They are very itchy but if I don't touch or scratch them, they usually go away in about 10 minutes.

I don't know if I should ask my doctor about this, or if there is something I could use without a prescription.

To the people that were diagnosed, do you know if what happens to me is Aquagenic Urticaria, or is my skin just really sensitive?
Hi, I live in Somerset, UK. Just came back from doctors. I have been diagnosed with Aquagenic Urticaria. Had it for ages, though it was my skin getting older, and so dryer!!

I was told to read up on it on the net, for obvious reasons.
But it has been suggested that a remedy from the pharmacy may help: urtica urens 30c strength - such 1 x twice a day. Its a homeopathic remedy and perfectly safe I read, so I will give this ago, dont want the rest... I have spent hundreds and hundreds of pounds of shower stuff with cream in to keep the skin moist. What a waste of time.
Homeopathic remedies are supposedly good with this condition, but who knows anything about whether they are or not?
Hi - me again from Somerset.

On reading up about this dreadful state, does anyone out there have Aquagenic Pruritus, which is just the same, but no hives, just big red patches?

I have tried to get some Weleda urtica this morning, and had no luck.
Anyone tried Aqueous cream to bath or shower with? Or even baby lotion all over before washing, or after?

from a fed-up Pickle.
WHY DOESNT SOMEONE KNOW THE ANSWER?
Pickles, a minute further on

Forgot, I found something listed as good - but couldnt get it, it is GPCumin cream. Cumin is in Tumeric - which I take as a reducer of inflamation (inflammation). Any other ideas? May help someone, but I expect all does not suit all, and its try and try again. How much baking soada in the bath? My doc doesnt know.

still a fed-up pickle
Hi. My name is Tania and I live in Brisbane, Australia. I am 31 years old and have been suffering from aquagenic urticaria since i was nine. Until today i had no idea there was a name for it and that there were other people with it. People have always looked at me like i was a freak when i tell them i am allergic to water.
I react to all water on my skin and sweat but i also cant use most creams, baby oil, massage oil, make up and deodorants.
The best way i have found to deal with it is to have really Quick showers and i do not ever go swimming.The article I found says that not much is known and even the experts seem vague but they all agree there's an association with elevated blood histamine levels. Now i just have to find out what that means? And if it can be fixed or if i have to live with it forever?

Over It
I have the exact same symptoms that you do, in addition to extremely dry skin otherwise. I have been taking Borage Oil which you can find at health markets, etc and that has definitely helped in the shower, I have almost completely stopped breaking out after a shower. It doesn't seem to make a difference in the ocean, though. Benadryl or other AH seem to work in saltwater, but definitely make you tired/drowsy.  
I'm not sure whether I have it or not. Strangely, I've lived with something that sounds similar to this for the past 3-4 years (I'm 17 now), and I've only tried to look up an explanation for these rashes tonight! Basically, I get itchy red blotches over my body (started on my chest but has progressed down my back and front) after any contact with water. The blotches are basically one lighter and raised pore surrounded by redness. Looks alot like the image you get when you type in aquagenic urticaria into google images from a distance. I'm not sure if this is the same condition however, because the rash is just slightly itchy, nothing i can't cope with unlike some of the comments already on here... They go after about 10 minutes...
This sounds alot like aquagenic urticaria actually... oh well...
If however someone would like to direct me to a better and closer image of the rash than is on google images so I can be sure, then I would be very thankfull...
From Rebecca... all the way from lovely England..
From supercoolperson 3 mins later....

Another thing I want to mention which is weird ( and adds to my doubt that I have this condition at all) is that there are three patches where the hives/rash used to appear frequently which are now perminently light brown. Almost like these areas of the rash have died and don't flare up anymore. They've been there for a few years and I can't remember what i did, if anything, to make them go this way. These patches, strangely, seem to always have tiny flakes of dead skin on them, like this skin is growing and dying faster than the skin around it. I don't mind them, as long as they don't all go like this or else I'll be covered in light brown patches... anyone else had this?
Hi my best friend has me researching this topic because he thinks me may also have  Aquagenic Urticaria. Ever since he was a child everytime water hits his face his cheeks turn bright red and itch alot. the skin on them eventually flakes off and his skin stays bright red for hours. He notices that this occurs with rain tap pool and sea water but not with distilled water. after going to the dermatologist he was told he just has sensitive skin which didnt help him at all .is it possible he has Aquagenic Urticaria?
my daughter has been diagnosed woth the condition and we are told its rare. she has had a barrage of blood tests which some had to be kept hot on the way to the lab for testing. She is on high antihistamines. tap,rainwater,bottled water, pool water,sea and river water all bring out a reaction. one eye swells if she cries so she looks like she has been hit, and when her eye watrs her skin under her eye feels like its burning. when she gets wet she has a rash and welts over her body which over the last 2 years has spread from her head downwards, its now further down one leg than the other. we have been told not to go swimming.
looking for more info it seems many people have the condition come on with puberty...... does anyone know if it bogs of with another hormonal change or is this going to continue till it covers everywhere? it seems also that some people progress to having problems with sweat after suffering for awhile with the effects after water. She cant use alot of the skin cleansers and reacts to tea tree now quite badly, her skin burns and becomes sore after using them. generally her skin is very good, not dry, dr said she expected dry areas etc but skin was good. the welts are large though when they pop out and the rash is very itchy and sore.
to all of you that have had it for sometime and not seen a doctor please see one. maybe if they become more aware of how many people are affected they will be able to do more research. we've been told theres only around 30 people with the condition worldwide
suzywoo
Hi there    i'm 34 and also have this condition and another form of urticaria that means i'm alergic (allergic) to just about everything that touches my skin, I was only diagnosed earlier this year (2008) though i have suffered in silence for many years! My biggest objective was being able to continue a normal life which for me includes working out at a gym several times a week and teaching kickboxing, needless to say this means having to shower sometimes 3 or 4 times daily! Prior to the onset of Aquagenic Urticaria i could never have imagined the pain and soreness never mind the look that having this condition could cause although i consider myself lucky as when the itching and pain dies down so does the rash and hives and i have never (yet) been left with these over a prolonged time although i am of course aware this could happen eventually! My coping stratagies include regular antihistimines namely ceterizine once daily and chlorphenamine four times daily at present although this will always be subject to change if resistance occurs and i have to be totally honest in saying these tablets have been an absolute god send for me even though i'm aware lot's of specialists dissagree of there usefulness they'd have a hell of a job denying how they have improved my life and i have an absolute cast iron diagnosis that it is definatly water and not some third party irritant that causes my worst reactions as my other alergies (allergies) present in a totally different reaction and my testing was done by medics who soley specialise in skin alergies (allergies) at a leading clinic (due to my being suseptable to anaphalactic shock)

I actually suppose the worst thing about this condition is people's lack of understanding and there smart comments, like, for example " how is it possible to be alergic (allergic) to water on the skin when our bodies are made up predominatly of water? "  Well it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that the make up of our internal structure is completly different to the make up of our external skin and our external skin is exposed to far more irritants and general climate than our internal structure therefore making it more suseptable to alergies (allergies) forming!!     And i didn't learn that from some "consultant" as usual plain good old common sense prevailed!!!!! Rant over!!!!!!!!!!!

I have aquagenic urticaria but it's almost completely controlled by a daily antihistamine tablet.  I have had it for around 23 years, since I was 10 or 11, and I think it's fairly mild, although if I don't take an antihistamine for a day or two I know all about it!  Even with the daily antihistamine I still get itchy after a shower but other than that it doesn't bother me at all.  

I have generally changed antihistamine every 4 or 5 years as they become less effective as your body gets used to it; also new and more effective drugs are brought out every so often.  I currently take Misolastine (or Mizollen) once a day.  I'm not sure if makes me drowsy as I take it before I go to bed.  I have also found Clarityn (Loratidine) and Zirtek (Cetrizine) work quite well.  It's important to take the antihistamine daily as it needs to build up in your system in order to get (relatively) continual 'protection'.  
I am wondering how many people are allergic to water versus allergic to water drying on the skin.
Do the rest of you in this forum really itch when you get wet, or is it really only when you start to dry off?

My theory is that our skin is really a little like a dry river bed that cracks when the water drys up. And that the micro-mechanical cracking as our skin drys is what causes our mast cells to degranulate causing the itch.

Just wondering if this rings true with the rest of you.
This is the first time I have found out what my skin problem is called.I think Aquagenic Urticaria is more common than the experts think. I have suffered with this for 34 years and after beening told by numerous doctors you cant be allergic to water just got on with it.I think as with any condition there are different degress of severity. I have difficulty when my skin touches any water even my own sweat. However the older I am getting the better I am getting. I can now have a shower for upto 5 mins without any reaction. Swimming is still the main problem because of the lenght of time I am in contact with the water. Thought mine was hormonal but have heard it can be brought on by a traumatic event
My name is Jay and I've had Aquagenic Urticaria for about 13 years. I'm a 21 year old male living in Ontario Canada. My dermatoligist has attempted to give me several different medications including steriod creams and Apo-Hydroxazine which haven't done anything for me. In my case it's when I touch water whether it be lake water, tap water, or even my own sweat. My brother and I share Aquagenic Urticaria and up until two days ago I didn't know that other people had it (Although I had suspicions). Most of my symptoms are the same:Hives, redness, itchyness but I also get severe pain all around my body when I touch water. Not sure who else gets the pain but I know my brother and I do. It's quite the annoying disease... trying to swim/shower/exercise and after you're done you're in the most intense pain you've ever felt... burning, itchyness and you want to tear your skin off. The only thing I've seen that works is if I turn the heat up really high in the shower... the symptoms still show but I guess the pain from the hot water over-rides the pain from the water itself.
Bet it was eczema.
I have atopic eczema, and it itches, but noting too bad. ( I have a mild case. )
I also get red rashes all over my torso when I take a shower, I wonder what that is....
It can't be Aquagenic b/c the rashes don't really itch.

:/
I don't have this condition, thankfully.  I have a condition that is just as controversial as Gulf War Syndrome, so I can certainly appreciate where yankeybeans is coming from.  

I wonder how much of this water allergy is related to the same issues that people with chemical sensitivities face because of the modern age we're living in?  I'm certain there are other factors in the environment besides what is in tap water that is contributing to this problem.  Especially, since it seems to be such a modern day allergy problem.  There are so many chemicals in tap water that it seems unreal.  But, that's not the only source of exposure to so many man made chemicals in our environment.  I'm not arguing about the reasons behind this or the intentions, because I get that, so I don't need any comments about how all the chemicals in tap water are made to be safe drinking water, etcetera.  I know about that.  But, I'm sure there is more to this water allergy than what meets the eye.

Not diagnosed, but I'm pretty sure I'm allergic to water, as well. My face gets so red/blotchy after showers, I get hives down my arms, itchy on my neck and chest. One time after a shower, my legs and feet were itching so bad from the knees down that I wanted to cry. Although I know it always happens when I get out of the shower, I've never thought I was allergic to water, lol. My manager at work actually mentioned it to me when I was talking about my neck being so red one day. She said she had a friend who was allergic to water. So 10 ten minutes ago when I got out of the shower, all red and itchy, I decided to look it up, and sure enough, there are others suffering the same thing!

I've also had pityriasis rosea twice in the past several years, and started wondering if there could be any connection. When I mentioned the water allergy to my dad, he said it could be from the Agent Orange that was sprayed when he was in Vietnam. When I had the pityriasis, I looked up information online to see if there was any link between the two, and I found one such case of a man explaining it to the VA.

Guess I'll just have to mention this to my doctor when I see him again!
I just read your comment with the question of, could it be that you only start itching when you dry off? I actually start breaking out into hives IN the shower, mostly noticeable on my forearms.

And in addition to the post I just made a few minutes ago, I just got off the phone with my mom, and she said she is the same way. She said it was more noticeable when she was my age (I am 28), but in time, it has subsided a bit. She said that maybe it's just the chlorine, etc that is added to the water when I take a shower, but I had to explain to her that I get the same way when I sweat from working out, or drying my hair (not so bad when I dry my hair now.. just chopped 12 inches in length from my hair, so it doesn't take as long to dry now, which means I'm not getting as overheated from all the time spent drying it! Yay!)
I have just read all your comments and I sympathize with all of you.I suffer much the same as you and have been for over 50 years ( I am now over 70 ) I started with an allergy, symptoms of which were swollen eyes,tongue, lips and face and anaphalaxis as well as hives.I saw many doctors and specialists and had scratch tests on my arm (12) but was allergic to all so they did a bigger test of 80 on my back. I was allergic to 60. So I went off all dairy products, red wine etc and quite by chance after 12 years found I was allergic to aspirin. After I stopped all aspirin I improved dramatically except I found I could no longer go swimming, salt water or fresh as I broke out in giant hives and you are right these rashes and hives do itch and make life miserable. I am OK if I bathe in tepid water.Cold water will make me swell up.I find that things I could not eat before I can now,( dairy etc )  but I become allergic to different foods and drugs.My research shows that one drug and one food together or two foods together can cause a reaction, so its not an easy road .I need to keep my skin cool and dry, I dont do any heavy exercise,I dont get stressed, I only eat fresh food ( no packets ) I dont eat nuts, I dont eat junk food and I limit alcohol to half a glass. As i'm allergic to aspirin I also stay away from Anti inflammatory drugs and RUBS and I dont go anywhere without my Epipen.I dont think any two cases are the same so see an Allergist but dont expect a 5 minute fix its very complicated    
I am from Texas and i'm 19 years old and have been diagnosed with Aquagenic Urticaria since i was 10. I have taken many medicines and some work, but moslty they wear off after a while. I do have one question for everyone, is this disease hereditary? My mom and i have asked the doctor many times if this will be passed to my child, but noone is certain. Does anyone have any experience with this? Please help.
Wow! I think i may have finally found out what is going on with my skin and at the same time, realised i am not going mad!!!
I have always had uber sensitive skin and have had eczema since i was a toddler. For a number of years now i have suffered in silence with the unbearable itching after taking a shower, bathing, getting caught out in the rain etc! Id always thought it was related so never took the matter further.
Like most, ive tried changing what i wash with to not using anything at all; i already use copious amounts of emollients for my dry skin and have also tried applying the emollient before i bathe to 'coat' the skin, but, to no avail!
Ive yet to try antihistamines, which may seem stupid of me, but i was concerned that i would become reliant on them and wasnt sure i could take them on a daily basis. I have now researched and will be visiting the chemist in the morning!
The only thing i havent seen anyone else mention, is that i only get the unbearable itching on my legs.....slight tingle everwhere else, but far from the discomfort i get on my legs?!?!?
This may not be what im suffering from at all, but i dont care whatever it is and what its called as long as i find something that will help. So, its a start!
Ill keep you posted xx
I have had this since about 10 years of age and am now a 36 year old female.My hives are prevalent on torso.  I thought I had finally diagnosed my water allergy with aquagenic pruritus, but then I realized a rash or hives are not a symptom for them.  However, the persistent itching after water exposure is so I think that many of their ideas may be of help.  Yahoo has an extensive Group with that name.   Short, medical UVB treatment is high on their treatment recs, which with my pale skin the one time that my rash seemed to go away was when I lived in Bali for 5 weeks and I let my skin get tan.  I'm not quite willing to try it with the cancer risk.  All the information that is out there now has motivated me to at least explore trying to get rid or reduce this condition.  Another high rated, simple treatment they had was making the last minute of your shower very hot, although my water does not get too hot so I've not had success testing that one yet.  One thread I saw also suggested a link to food allergies, it seems so unlikely, but since I seem to have other food sensitivities I am scheduled to see an allergist next week.  I will be sure to post if I have any success.  I highly recommend searching the slightly more common aquagenic pruritus.

I am the health editor of a magazine called Tell! I am looking for a case study of someone who suffers from a water allergy for a real-life feature. If you are interested in being this case study then please email me your story at ***@**** and cc in ***@****

Joanne
My daughter (she'll be 9 in July) must have Aquagenic urticaria. I first noticed this when she was about 2. She would break out in red splotches all over her chest and back after she took a bath. Then, a few years ago, I noticed it was getting worse, however, unlike most of you mention, it is not only on her chest/back. It is also on her neck, shoulders, stomach, and VERY prevelant on her thighs. The spots on her thighs are a lot worse, though. They a very red, raised-up circles...looks almost like really bad ringworm. (if that makes sense) She possibly has cold urticaria also, because she is much much worse after being exposed to cold water. I have even tried letting her bathe at different places thinking that it was our water. (we have well water, my mom has city water, and aunt has county water) Didn't know if it would make a difference...obviously not.
I have it too! I live in the USA and in the state of Illinois. everyone thinks im lying lol
I also get red, itchy splotches on my skin area after showering and swimming.  I'm 29 years old, and would estimate this has been going since I was approximately 12 or 13 years old.  The rashes are almost exclusively on my midriff/stomach area and sometimes will appear on my neck.  I DO NOT scratch, although it takes a lot of will power.  If I do not scratch, they disappear in 15-30 minutes.  I always thought I was allergic to chlorine because in a pool the rashes are more severe.  I have fair skin and it is generally sensitive to harsh soaps and detergents.  

I do not use any topical creams or oral medications.  I do use a WATER FILTER and it greatly helps, although it is not perfect.  However, when I go to the swimming pool I do use a topical cream, like Cortisone.  

I've never been to the doctor, and unless I get health care, I never will.  I feel like I have a good grasp on the condition/problem and my best bit of advice for everyone is to get a water filter.  I'm not sure if it would work for everyone, but it couldn't hurt.  Besides, it's probably better to keep all those chemicals off your skin, with or without Aquagenic urticaria.

Good luck to everyone.
I'm a 36 year old male from the UK, and I've had Aquagenic Urticaria since I was 13 years old.

My mother had the same condition, which came on at puberty, but luckily for my mother, stopped when she reached the menopause. When I was growing up, my mother always had to take anti-histamines before going swimming to try and stop the hives. She didn't bother for baths.

Sometime when I was 13, I suddenly developed the same condition as my mother, but neither of us knew what it was called. I've never been to a doctor with the condition, as it doesn't really cause any problems, other than annoying hives all over my torso, which are incredibly itchy, and can last anywhere between 15 mins to an hour.

It doesn't matter what temperature the water is, or how long I am exposed to it for, for the hives to occur. The thing I find strange is that it only affects my torso, and never my legs, face, or lower arms.

I was only 2 or 3 years ago when i researched "water allergy" on the internet that I came to know what the condition was called.

Everything I read about Aquagenic Urticaria that described the symptons, exactly matched what I have experienced for the last 23 years...

I know there is no cure, but I live in hope, as my mother no longer suffers from this condition, and she put up with it for about 40 years.
This is amazing!  I have lived with this problem my WHOLE life!  I thought I was weird, and was treated that way, for being allergic to water, of all things.  I break out on my face, neck, back and chest the minute I start to sweat, or swim, take a shower or even if it rains!  There is nothing worse than going out into public with big bug bite looking things on your face.  I always tried to ignore the itching but that is so hard, I found stabbing them with my nail took the itch away lol.  I have had this for as long as I remember, probably 20 plus years and never thought twice about it.  Today I was bored and just googled hives from water and came across this Aquagenic Urticaria.  It feels so good to know others out there that have this problem and I am not a freak!  Unfortunately I have never found anything to fix it... temp cures sure, by putting cold compress on the hives but that is all.  Anyway, I just wanted to thank everyone out there for sharing your stories, it has made me feel so much better... even though I feel itchy all over now :op
I am 44 years old and suffered from this on and off over the years, some times it's really bad other times nothing. One thing I have noticed is water temp' - if luke warm or cooler it makes the itching worse. If I go out of Birmingham (UK) -usually Somerset, I get minimal or no symptoms here or elsewhere, there must be something in the water - I know there's Fluoride in the Birmingham water along with Chlorine so maybe this is factor. I also surf regularly and sea water has minimal effect. Swimming at the the local baths can make me itch but far less than home showering, so maybe the fact that excercise can calm it - by the way, I only itch after I have dried myself - usually about 5-10 min's after doing so when ever or where ever affected. Antihistamine can help an hour BEFORE showering or massaging the area rather than scratching - I get it all over my body. Try tricking your itching by getting in and out of the shower for different periods and / or different temperatures. May be there's a food link depending on what's been eaten before showering, or state of mind /stress, who knows, so may variables??? Good luck to you all!
Hi, I have recently found out that I too suffer from  Water urticaria, or aquagenic urticaria,I have this for about 2 years and always said I felt I was allergic to water and like other peoples stories they all used to laugh. From other stories ive read, it seems a rare condition or just a condition that hasnt been exposed!! I currently take antihistmines which do the trick You have to make sure they have the ingredient 'LORATADINE' in them......from years of suffering and never knowing im so glad to have found out what it is I suffer with. I also have a food intolerance so not sure if this is related. Does anyone else have allergies to food and also suffer from aquagenic urticaria???
I am 35 years old, I also have Aquagenic urticaria.  I have had them since I was little, I am 35 now, they look like mosquitos attacked me while I was getting wet.  I have learned to ignore the itch and within an hour or so they go away.  I swim and every thing I just am very itchy, i get them on my arms, neck, back and shoulders. i have never tried this but I found this on a website:Water urticaria is treated with a cream called capsaicin (Zostrix) that is applied to the irritated skin. This is the same treatment used for shingles. Antihistamines are of questionable benefit since histamine is not the causative factor in water urticaria.
I'm 34 and I've had Aguagenic pruritus since I was a child and was most recently diagnosed with aguagenic Urtcaria too. Most of the doctors I saw during my childhood thought my "allergy" was all in my head because there were no visible symptoms other then the welts from my scratching. They thought I was making myself sick because I believed in my "supposed allergy" so much. After years of suffering alone and in silence, a doctor finally gave my allergy a name when I was 16, aguagenic pruritus and recommend treatments including applying baby-oil after shower. Along the way, they've recommnended various lotions and treatments but those lose their effect couple months into it and some just don't work at all. So through trial and error, I learnt to deal with the AgP(Aguagenic Pruritus) my way. 5 years ago, I was diagnosed with Aguagenic Urticaria when after sweat and water exposure I not only feel the pain and itchiness as usual but i also get hives all over my torso, face, limps, and scalp,  and the inside of my nose starts iching and my eyelids swell up. I've learnt not to expose my skin to cold temperature right after workout, hot shower/bath and after I swim. I still break out from my sweat and water but cold temperature aggrevates and makes the hives and itch worse. If I'm already sweating I avoid cold areas. I take lukewarm showers after a workout or swims and adjust the water temp slowly toward cool. I try to avoid the rain when possible but since I live on kauai, the rainiest island in Hawaii, it is unavoidable. the beach is a weekend ritual for me and my kids but i break out after a swim so I have gallons of distilled water in my car at all times. It is the only water my body will not have a violent hive reaction to eventhough the burning and itching still presist. If I take hot showers, I make sure to avoid stepping out of the bathroom till my skin is completely dry and my hair is either completely wrapped in a towel or dried. I also apply baby oil right after a shower. My clothes are washed using Draft and I avoid fabric softner and dryer sheets. Soap is still a battle of the will, I find a soap I like and will myself to deal with the consiquences. lol, not practical but i've never been very practical. So there, my life with both Aquagenic Pruritus and Urticaria. Fun stuff!!

And if all that wasn't fun, Kauai's weather is humid all year round.
I've had this since my mid-teens but compared to some people on here, it would appear that I have a mild form of this like Sinomen59 and am able to ignore the 'sploges' until they go away. I've never been to the doctor about  this because I figured it was a 'water allergy' and I take anti-histimine before going swimming but it ever worked- now I know why! They also come up when I sweat but it's only mildly uncomfortable.  I'm wondering about going to the doctors just to 'let them know' or maybe try and remeber to mention it next time I go as it seems it's not nearly as rare as they think! I only searched tonight because they mentioned the name aquagenic urticaria on TV and said how rare it is!

Anyway just wanted to let people know thy're not alone and it may go away as i used to get another form of urticaria which was big raised white lumps with red surround which i only came up in when I was ill and too hot- I had it for about 5 years and used it as an indicator of when i was getting sick as it was often the first symptom!
p.s. I get laughed at when i tell people but I'm a very confident person and like being the centre of attention so shake it off but what I wanted to say is that when I explain it to people and they say, "even rain water?" and I say yes if it soaks through my clothes to my skin and my sweat triggers it too, I often say that I'm not 100% sure whether it's the water or the residue of chemicals on my skin from washing detergent that causes the reaction. It comes on almost as soon as my skin gets damp but the itching is similar to a flea bite so I can ignore it. What does everyone else think about the residual chemical theory?
Iam 31 years old and have been breaking out in hives from water since I was 12 years old. Doctors could not beleive me when I told them. One doctor even said "I dont want to tortue you by sprinking water on you!" and laughed like it was a joke. I did come across one nice doctor that wrote me a prescription on Calirton and told me to take it once daily before bed and that seemed to help. I just did not want to be dependant on a drug for the rest of my life to relive the embarrassing red marks and itching. I break out anytime water comes in contact with me, including baths, showers, rain, and sweat. The hives appear on my face, neck, back, chest and stomache. For years I wandered what this was or if there was a cure. I found a little relief today knowing what this is actually is and feeling a better knowing that I am not the only one. But feel sorry for the rest of you that have to deal with this like me on a daily basis. One doctor told me that I might just grow out of it. Wishfull thinking, 19 years later and I still have it. Good luck to you all in finding some relief. I use Benedryl when I go to the pool and lots of concealer and cover up after showers!
Hello!
I am 19 years old, a college student in VA, and i have aquagenic uticaria too :) When i went to the doctor when i was about 13 or so, they could no figure out what was wrong with me and basically told me i had to deal with it. They gave my creams and such for my outbreaks but i also have chicken skin so the creams just caused more pain. I tried Claritin as well, but as it turns out im allergic to that too (ironic huh?) So, ive taken the doctors advice and just unfortunatly delt with it. Peoples reactions when they find out are quite unsetteling because they think its wierd or they just dont believe you. But, needless to say its nice to see im not alone with this. Im not sure what your #1 question is when they find out, but mine is allllllways "how do you shower?"...i tend to joke with them and say i bathe in dirt like a chinchilla before telling them i do it the exact same way they do; i just break out in hives when i do. The hives itch like hell (neck, face, back, chest, shoulders) but usually go away in about a 1/2 hour to 45 mins.
Keep staying strong you guys and thank you for sharing your stories!! :D
Hey all...
I've been suffering with aquagenic uticaria since I can remember.. Probably since I was 12 or 13. (i'm 24 now) Only in the past year has it gotten worse. I was diagnosed with Cronic (chronic) Ideopathic Uticaria which started out of the blue last year, and after taking antihistamines, even thought it keeps the chronic hive breakouts to a minimum, the aquagenic bit  seems to gradually be getting worse?? Its started to spread to my for arms and scalp now.. And started to happen when I work out :/ Im on loratadine, neo clarytine, ranitadine and doxepin..
My doctor doesn't seem to acknowledge it though .. And most of my friends think Im bat sh*t crazy..
So yeah.. suppose its nice to know I'm not alone, although I wouldn't wish it on anyone.  don't think its as rare as we think either, judging by the number of posts?? Perhaps most people put it down to sensitive skin like I did for about 10 years!

P.
uk x
I have aquagenic uticaria too.  It started when I was about 14 and I am 22 now.  My Mom also had aquagenic uticaria, but claimed that it just went away when she was in her late 20's or early 30's.  I was just reading a post on oddee.com about 10 people with Unbelievable Medical Conditions and one of them was about a girl from Melborne that could not take a shower without breaking out in rash.  I found it somewhat funny because as far a I can tell, this really is not that rare... just not that well documented.  I have never tried to take anything for it, I more just tolerate it.
I'm beginning to wonder if my 4 year old son has this. I've been struggling to find out why he has been breaking out in hives for the past 6 weeks -- it usually happens nearly every evening at bathtime, when he gets into the tub, and lasts for a while afteward. I have been giving him Zyrtec that's made especially for hives. The hives disappear overnight while he sleeps. He doesn't get them during the day while at preschool. At first I thought maybe he had a virus and that's what was causing the hives, but it has been 6 weeks or more now, and they still continue to pop up nearly every night. The hives are on his torso and thighs, and sometimes on his arms -- never on his face. The hives on his thighs are often very large (almost looks like ringworm) and he even gets huge ones on his buttocks. He says they itch a little bit, but he doesn't complain much. I have not changed laundry detergent, soap, or anything of that nature (he has always had "sensitive" skin anyway and has had respiratory issues in the past) and he isn't allergic to any foods (I've been paying close attention to what he eats). He actually underwent allergy testing when he was almost 3 because of his respiratory issues and because he used to itch his face and eyes all the time and get hives/welts, and I was told he has no allergies (which I don't believe). Also, we were at the beach in August and, when he got into the salt water, he got little red spots on him. He complained that the water "stung." However, he swam in the chlorinated pool without any problem. So I'm not sure what to make of this. Any ideas/comments? I don't know whether to call the pediatrician or not. What's the point, if not much can be done other than what I'm already doing (giving him Zyrtec).
I am a 48 yrs old woman and I started experience this only since last summer. First I thought it was because of a wild plant sap as I started to clean a wild area. So I used Cortisone cream or an antihistamine to resolve it and it worked well. Then today i went outside and it's been getting cold only few days in this area, I suddenly started getting hives on my knees which reminded me last summer one day when i went to the pool i got similar kind of rash and I thought it was b'se of a caterpillar and I took an antihistamine and a cortisone and it went away quickly. So when I got this again I wanted check on the internet and I found this forum. Looks like it is very common than I thought. I never had this before and my mother said that she had i when she was young too.
Hello all

I am a magazine writer in the UK researching Aquagenic Urticaria for a health article. I am interested in speaking with people who live with this condition and finding out how it affects their lives and what strategies they have to deal with it.

If you are interested in perhaps sharing your experiences for a health article then please message me back. I will be happy to provide you with my credentials and examples of my published work and answer any questions you might have. My personal email address is adam.c.***@****. The magazines i work for will also pay well for your stories and pictures.

I hope to hear from you.

Kindest Regards

Adam Shaw
Feature Writer
NUJ Press Number: 942778
hi, im a 22 year old queensland girl. i too have suffered from this condition as long as i can remember. i used to get my mum to write notes so i didnt have to go to school swimming lessons when i was at school. i find it is worse from sea water and pool water than rain or shower water. its not so much painful, just extremely itchy, discomforting and drives me crazy.

for years doctors told me they didnt know what it was and i would just have to deal with it. today i saw the doc and was told it was cholinergic urticaria and i should take antihistamines. after doing some research i have now realised it is aquagenic urticaria and have read that antihistamines dont help.

i too however have suspicions about whether it is caused by being submerged in water or from air drying afterwards. i do get the rash while in the shower (not being submerged in water when showering) but when i swim at the beach or in a pool it seems to only affect my neck, chest and upper back while in the water (which is exposed to air while wet) , then spreads to my stomach and rest of my back when i get out (which was submerged the entire time). i have also found the qicker i shower and dry myself, the lesser the reaction. am wondering if you have experimented much with the factors too and what you may have found?
How many of you have taken antibiotics for something, especially in the last couple years? Any treatment of Antibiotics prior to this problem? Anyone noted AB's making it worse? Or any other things prescribed? Anyone considered a Systemic Fungal infection? I noted one individual that had no trouble in chlorinated water, perhaps the high chlorine was a factor in that case.

I don't have your condition, but found out something a little weird about systemic fungal infections, that they are getting diagnosed and treated as Bacterial Infections, Allergies, etc., and the treatment is making it worse, because in a lot of cases, the treatment is part of the cause.  

(I do have a cousin who had some kind of problem similar to all of yours, and it was caused by fungal problems aggravated by Antibiotic use)

From what I have read, overuse of ABiotics are causing what's called "overgrowth" of fungus in our systems. Diagnosis is difficult, because we all normally have them. I could just be way out there, your problems could be caused by something else, but it sounds like it would be worth considering my alternative, your condition does not sound fun at all.

Try a search on Fungal Infections and natural remedies????
i am 14 years old and i live in Australia, i have both aquagenic urticaria and cholinergic urticaria. i hate it and i am embarrassed to exercise in public or go swimming in public! does anyone else have both problems????

- jess
wow, what an education i've gotten tonight:

1. i found out that the recent itchy red splotches on my chest, stomach and back that flare up after a shower is called aquagenic urticaria.  

2. i read a comment on an article in the LA times from a sufferer of thyroid dysfunction who blames the condition on artificial fluoridation of city water.  i found out that los angeles (where i live) has been adding large amounts of industrial-waste silicofluoride chemicals (not FDA approved for human consumption) to the water supply for 2 years.

3. i read medical research dating as far back as the 80's on the adverse effects of fluoride in a (relatively) small percentage of the population.  included in the many side effects?  urticaria.

i read somewhere that the body absorbs fluoride when it's low on magnesium.  so i will do a test.  my plan is to buy magnesium supplements, non-fluoride toothpaste and perhaps some kind of decent water filtration system that addresses fluoride, if such a thing exists.

i'm not advocating this as an answer, just sharing what seems to be relevant info on the topic.    

good luck, everyone!
I am 43 years old. When I was in my early 20's I went to the doctors to get a diagnosis of why I break out in hives from ANY form of moisture (lotions, oils, sweat, and any type of water... even if it is totally free of any minerals or additives).
The doctor I saw seemed to have never witnessed such a thing before - he theorized that I had "alot of extra histamine in my body and I release it through my pores whenever moisture touches my skin." His prescription was to take an anti-histamine and four showers a day.. by the end of the day I should have "spent" all my reserved histamine.
I never tested it.. I can't imagine anyone having time for 4 showers a day... so I have just suffered it.
I think it started with puberty. One of my sons (I have two) also developed the same condition at around 12-14 years old.
I will be going through menopause (surgically) soon, so I will be interested to see if "the change" fixes the condition, since it seems related to hormones - I'll let you know.
i have this aswel or so i think
although maybe not as bad as others
it started when i was 13 and now 3 years on i occasionally get it.
what i dont understand is why i get it because seem to blame it on impurities of some kind in the water but my reaction is worst in the sea. i do get these spots in my shower at home but it tends to vary from shower to to shower and pool to pool as sometimes in hotels i dont get it at all or sometimes i do. If anyone has anything they could reccomend that would be great? or even any information?

Ps. I believe this is much more common than publicised
Hi, I have AU for almost a year now, pretty much shorter than the others here, and I'm scared that it might stay way longer. I haven't had an appointment with a doctor yet but I'm positive about it because of all the information that I have read elsewhere, most especially here. I have break outs when I take a shower, and haven't tried it on a pool or any bodies of water -- I wanted to be cautious. I also have it when I get in contact with rain, or even when I eat cold food -- I mostly even vomit when I drink water or anything that's too cold. I wanted to ask, what would be the best med to control it? What I'm taking, Celestamine, does help but I don't take it everyday because it's making me gain weight and interferes my activities by making me drowsy. I just hope this goes away.. Thank you.
Ive had this condition for almost 8 years now..mine doesnt seem to be as severe as some pictures ive seen.  Any prolonged period of time in water (hot or cold) makes me blotchy and itchy but goes away within 45 mins or so.  There are parts of the past 8 years where it hasn't been as active...and it seems those times were when i was mostly clean from acne creams/opiates/marijuana.  It seemed like in high school after i started taking vicodin that this came about.  I could be wrong.  I havn't tried anything, but I'm about to because Im so sick of it.  Anyone else that used any sort of acne cream (tazorac) or any opiates/weed that brought about their aquaBULLSHIT?

**i also did not have the reaction when i showered/swam in florida, but anywhere in wisconsin it shows up and now when i sweat!!!!!!
   I am amazed and pleased with how many people are talking about water-related urticaria since only two years ago!  By searching and speaking out, you are creating the fist steps to  the first
   I researched the topic about 2.5 years ago when our then 17 year old daughter first had a reaction that resulted in anaphylactic shock.  She's been in the water on the same beach in Maryland,USA her entire life. She had been sitting in the sun (became heated) and walked into the water (possibly much cooler) and came out 5 minutes later with with arms, torso,and legs covered with obvious hives and rash.  We walked her to the condo and she began to have trouble breathing, became weak and fainted before we could lay her all the way down on the floor.  She recovered within an hour but her hives lasted 3-5 days.  We thought there were a few different possibile causes, but could not be sure.  Ever since that time, if she walks into the water and walks right back out, she comes out with hives and rash, instantly.   Fortunately her only reaction is ocean water.
     I was searching for newer information tonight in preparation for an appointment with an allergist.  I was so pleased to find this forum as there were only about 4 finds during my search 2.5 years ago.  There are several references to saltwater in this forum as being a worse reaction than other water sources. So, my daughter's reaction may be the start of things to come or an intensified form?.   I'd love to hear from others with this manifestation.
I too have this condition, and it is kind of irritating, so do sympathise with you all. The most annoying thing is that i am unable to go out in the rain as that irritates it aswell. I have heard that you can get a special rain coat so if you need to go out and its raining you can. Can anyone give me anymore help or feedback on this, as i do like the rain and miss out on stuff when it does. Many thanks.
My wife is going thru this too at the moment.. i wondered if anyone else has seen the reaction worsen or be brought on by the chemical PPG. It is an isocannic added to everything, soap toothpaste, feminine products, paints makeup, the list is (insanely huge). The reason i ask is prior to my wifes reaction she had a horrible reaction to hair dye, (putting her in the hospital) the reaction had begun quite mildly and grown each time since her early 20's. This last reaction damned near killed her. then 3 to 4 months ago she began getting a red itchy blotch on her arm ..it grew and grew untill recently the minute water hits her she breaks out into a full red itchy blotch.  We began by removing all drugs, removed all of her makeup, soap and the such and found PPG 1 thru 7000 was in every bloody product we looked at. Replaced the products still has the reaction.....
doctor and dermatologist say enhhh reaction is just nerves and touchy skin. so in the past week we tried a nice bath in Tea water (tannic acid) tempid temp.. and it dissappeared for 4 days, she took a shower today and its back with a vengance. Anyone else have an exposure to ppg? anyone get this reaction late in life? Thanks for the help !
Hi..i live in Turkey..I am 35 years old, I also have Aquagenic urticaria and my sister too,I take anti-histamine "Semprex ".its really good and has no side effects..
Hello, my name is Anna and I am 22yrs old. I live in Montana, U.S.A.
I was diagnosed with Aquagenetic Urticaria about two months ago. I never thought anyone could be allergic to water. People ask me all the time, "how can you be allergic to something that makes up 75% of your body?"
I have come up with some clever come backs for the outside world that doesnt believe an individual could be allergic to water. I will pass them on to those who need a clever come back.
1) I mix my own hydrogen and oxygen
2) I am H20 intollerant- I took that from Nemo, the movie.
3) I drink powdered water
4) I can consume dehyrodrated water
5) I'm not sun burnt, I'm just allergic to water!

Although I have turned this into a big joke with all my friends, I recently realized I won't be able to snowboard which is the best thing to do in the winter when you live in Montana. I can't move to California or Florida because of the heat and humitity. Seattle....went there to visit for a weekend with no rain coat! Delivering Pizzas in the rain and being allergic to water *****!

I have been medicated, with a generic version of Zrytec and when I have a reaction I take another pill called Hyroxyzine. I didnt see that mentioned in the other posts but I did see a doctor rescently and he had another name for it. I went to this doctor because I felt a tighting of my throat while visiting Seattle, Washington. The doctor believed it had nothing to do with my allergy, which was a relief. Although my condition is external as of now, if I had not gone and gotten a second opinion when I initially went to find out what was making me break out, the condition could have lead to my throat swelling up. I do carry an Epi pen with me at all times. This adrenalin rush injection is supposed to save my life if the reaction becomes life threatening. the only problem I am deathly afraid of needles, and now I carry one wherever I go.

I first noticed my reation this last summer floating the Clark Fork river. I became red and shakey (shaky). Now that I think back on it I used to get a reaction when I got out of the shower in Middle school and High school. This reaction was occasional and usually only consumed my legs. This first apperance, although noticable, never lasted more than 10 minutes after a shower so I assumed it was the heat or water pressure. Only now, 6 years later, has the reaction is full blown. Every time I sweat, cry, brush my teeth, or get wet in any form, I have a reaction. The dermatologist that diagnosed me believes the symtoms (symptoms) will disapear within six months to a year. After reading the above comments I am not to sure. Most of you said you've had this allergy for 4-40 years! I am blown out of the water!
WE NEED TO START A CONVENTION!!!!!
I want to talk and meet people with this disorder. I am so glad I located this site to get started!!!!!
Everyone! Please keep this going, the more information we can bring together the better!
hi my name is stephanie i live in the uk and im 18 ive had aquagenic urticaria now for 5 years, i have to take anti histamine tablets everyday but i was only given these tablets last year. i  know how you feel i used to get it from showering or being in the rain or even sweating and people pointing this out only made me feel worse. if you have any questions you can email me steph-***@**** :)
Hi I'm 26, my name is Brandon and I live in Sydney Australia. I have had Aquagenic Urticaria for 15 years. I only really get it in Summer, not so much in Winter. I've been to plenty of doctors but they all just tell me to use different soap. I've used every soap under the sun, none of it helped. I little trick that I have noticed when going for a swim is to put a waterproof sunblock on. I Never get itchy when its on. It seems to created a barrier between my skin and the water. It has to be waterproof, or obviously it will just wash off. Of course this doesn't help when taking a shower, but at lest I can go to the beach and not have to worry.
Hope this helps. Its nice to know I'm not the only one.
Thanks everyone for responding to my post! It's two years later and I still have the disease and its worse than before. Now hives come i get nervous and my body temp raises. Winter was horrible because its so bad now when I have to wear my winter coat. Along with this my skin is soooo dry. It will wake me up at night because it itches and hurts so bad. Anytime water/sweat comes into contact my skin makes the hives which also sheds any and all the moisture on my skin. I also have to explain to people why I have hives everywhere and am constantly scratching. Makes me look like a crazy and on top of it I have to say im allergic to water.
But anyway in 2 years I've developed tricks that help me.
Right after I get out of the shower before I dry off with a towel I put on baby oil. It itches so bad at first but I found that it moisturizes my body more than any lotion does and keeps the itching to a minimum sometimes.
Not itching the hives does make it go away faster...but sometimes I just cant take it and freak out and have to itch lol
I've learned to just avoid all together swimming and hot tubs..etc. It ***** and because I'm only 22 and want to do this kind of stuff while Im young but now I just deal with it because it's NOT worth it.
**Research shows that the preservative sodium bonzaote (sp) makes this condition worse and in my findings it does. 7up is the only soda I can find that doesnt have this. When I drink something else that does have this preservative I will break out in hives just sitting and doing nothing. It is in a lot of other foods..more than you would think. So i try to look at labels and stay away the best i can.
Stress def makes my hives worse when I get them, so when im in the shower i try not to think about stressful things.
I've found that hair conditioner is the absolute worst thing for my hives in the shower. I try to eliminate that but if i have to do it i save it for the very last because where ever the conditioner touches like my back or when i rinse off..is instant horrible long lasting itchy hives that are worse than the others.
**Sadly its to the point where just standing in the sun gives them to me,
I think that with all this itching my skin is more prone to acne because ANYWHERE i scratch i break out or it turns into a blister.

Going on meds for this gives me horrible side effects even over the counter ones.
To me its not worth it because it never takes away the symptons so its like more suffering.
I just deal with it and try to find more tricks which seems there are very few.

I seriously hate this disease and just in the years I've had it its become unbearable that I cannot imagine what it will be like in years to come.
Hi all,
i read this page last year upon being diagnosed with aquagenic urticaria, and was so awestruck that i actually forgot to comment. Recently I was assigned a personal essay in English class and in writing it I was lead back to this page.
My doctor told me there were about 37 documented cases in the world, and if thats true, it was really incredible to see such a large proportion of us here. Anyone who has this will have noticed im sure that they have plently of friends who are sympathetic, but none who are empathetic, no one (however supportive they might be) who can really "get" what its like. Having never met any of my fellows in person im glad at this opportunity to share with people who can understand. If anyone wants a copy of the essay i wrote (wordy and done up a bit for literary puposes, I'll admit) you can email me at ***@****, my name is tim. You'll find alot of my thoughts here are taken olmost directly from the essay, which was a really freeing experience for the record, a chance to talk about something im usually reserved about.
Hi! I'm Rey from Iran. I've had water urticaria since 4 years ago. I get red itchy hives usually on my back and legs whenever I swim in the sea or the pool. Then these red hives turn into dark brown spots if I scratch them or if they suffer some sort of pressure like pressure of swimsuit bands. Even taking antihistamin pills an hour before swimming doesnot help. No doctor has ever given me any effective treatment. They just advise me to keep away from water and not swim! This makes me crazy since swimming is my best hobby. I'm really upset about this. I hope skin specialists read these comments too!
THE DOCTORS ARE WRONG there are alot more then 37 people with this I found a group of 64 on facebook and a group with well over 300 on yahoo!!!
im 15 years old and i have been diagnosed for two years now with aquagentic urticaria  i know its horrible to deal with, but ul get threw it, i have recently come across some remedy's that are just incredible,,before you come in contact with water of any kind  weather its bath water swimming in a pool or lake or even rain water put baby oil on your skin and then go in the water its amazing how well it works and then also put some on after your in water it works wonders on me and itl make ur skin really soft to lol also benedril helps allot to for me, well hop i could help :)
I've had Aquagenic Urticaria for  8 years.  I developed it shortly after taking the acne medicine Accutane when I was 20. (I always wonder if there is a connection)  At first I had no idea what I was reacting to.  I would cut out certain shampoos and soaps.  We called to see if they added anything new to the city water.  That summer at the beach I had the same reaction.  (The look on my friends’ faces when they saw all of the hives was priceless.)  I knew then it had to be something that is in all water.  Now any type of liquid causes me to have an reaction.  Whether it’s tab, pool, or salt water, tears or sweat.  I have a very painful reaction within 5 mins and it last for about an hour.     I’ve tried every type of antihistamine, but found that Zyrtec works the best.

The DRs I’ve been to have not been any help. (I would have thought they would jump at a chance to treat this since its suppose to be so rare.)  For the first few years, every DR I went to said I did not have Aquagenic Urticaria.  They said my problem was that I had a lot of others allergies which made my skin very sensitive.  He first tested me for a rare cancer.  That scared me to death, but lucky it came back negative.  Then  my DR suggested I remove everything my skin ***** test showed I was allergic to.  I did this for 6 months while using special shampoo, eliminating foods that contained certain food dyes, not dying my hair, and not wearing any perfume.  My condition did not get any better.  I even developed more nasal allergies (which have never improved).  At this point my DR finally agreed that I had Aquagenic Urticaria and told me to stay on an antihistamine.  I hate taking a pill every day, but it’s the only way I can function.  Especially during the hot humid months in South GA.

It’s been years since I looked this up on the internet, because I just excepted having it and that there was no cure.  It is so nice to find others who understand how I feel.  When I tell people what I have I get strange looks and they have no idea how painful it is.  It took a long time for my Husband to understand why I would never going swimming or for a walk at night, because by that time my meds were wearing off and I didn’t feel like dealing with it.  (I now take Zyrtec in the AM, so I can work out in the afternoon)  
I breakout with what looks like misquito bites everytime I get out of water. I was just recently at the beach, and it was so embarrassing! Its not painful at all, just itches like crazy. Even when I workout, these red itches blotches develop mainly on my chest, neck, back, and stomach.

Unfortunately for me, I believe I can top most of your stories. You see I have had Aquagenic Pruritus for about 4 yrs now. I have had to quite cross country running and all sports. I am always tired and in pain. AP is just the water caused itching and pain. But I have only been getting worse through the yrs. I have taken about 20 something different meds now and also went through light therapy. Nothing has worked. Although xyzal 5mg everyday seems to help take the edge of the itching.
This past week I went to Duke med for an annual 2 month appointment and thats when everything started spinning for me. I am now one of the rarest of the rare. Usually a person has either AP or AU. I have been diagnosed with both. Something that is really never seen.
I am a 17 year old, a senior in High School, I have dreams of going to Winthrop and teaching art to high schoolers. But all of this is uncertain now. I am so sick I can barley get through my day now. My immune system is almost non existent at this point so I currently have mono, swollen tonsils, an enlarged spleen, severe bone pain,and much more going on, all on top of having Ap and AU.
I am on daily steroids to help get ride of all the infections in my body and then we are going to work on my immune system and then hopefully the AP and AU.
I was told that the doctors only concern is my quality of life. This quit honestly scares me alot. I cry still thinking about what my life may be in 2, 3, 5 years.
So now that you know a little of me story I hope that some of you may feel better about your situations.

~Heather
I have been breaking out in hives for about 12yrs now if frist started when i was about 8 or 9 yrs old i break starting from my sclap all the way down to me feet every part of my body breaks out with hives i usually break out after taking a hot shower,going swimming,and if im outside in the snow and come back inside to a warm area ill break out also during excirse mostly when im overheated i've have been to the doctor once when i was younger and they got as far as to tell they thought it had something to do with what controls how hot and cold my body gets they also told me to take 2 benadryl when i have breaksouts however  benadryl puts me to sleep within 20 minutes after taking them so usually i just try to wrok through the break out any suggestions.
Dear friend,

I also have the same symptom for about 5 years already.
I have made several visits to different skin/allergy specialists but the itch still persists even after medication.
My cure :
Try wearing thin & soft polyester or dry fit T-shirt and long pants - it will reduce the itch.
Have tried and tested.

Let me know if it works for you.

Regards,
DT.
My 12 year old son and I also have aquagenic urticaria.  I developed it when I was about 9 or 10.  My son developed it at about 4 yrs old.  He has a more severe case than mine, but both of us break out in extremely itchy hives all over our bodies after coming in contact with any kind of water...beach, lake, pool, shower, sweat.   The heat seems to make it worse.  I wish someone would study to see if it is hereditary as well.  The only thing that seems to work is Benadryl or drying off as quickly as possible.

Let me know about the hereditary thing.  If it is so rare, how can 2 people in one family have it if it is not hereditary?
Yeah, I have it too. Mine is minor case, it just gets annoying. It's really annoying. :\ but yeah, I understand what you feel! It *****!
I developed aquagenic urticaria while pregnant with my son. I only reacted when water touched me. No issues with sweat. At first I thought I was nuts. After about 4 years, I finally told my doctors. The first one was like try this, an OTC allergy medication. It didn't help. They they put me on Attarax (s/l). It helped. Then I got pregnant again. Now it's much worse. They had to triple my dose. On top of that, I had one doctor tell me I couldn't be allergic to it and it was likely a chemical, despite being exposed to all sorts of waters. Now I react to sweat and any water at all. My kids hate trying to explain why I can't go to the swim park with them like other parents. I find keeping cool even in winter, carrying an umbrella, as well as teaching those around me helps greatly. The medicine really does help most of the time. I hope this helps.

Erin
So sad to see people suffer like this...  Anybody tried Chinese herb or doctor?  I've been a seminar and there were amazing stories about rare diseases.  Lots of the ways to heal is related to diet.  I have a friend, her son had Leukemia and was about to have chemo.  She went to China and met an old Chinese doctor who instructed a very simple diet for her son.  He was cured in 6 months with no chemo.  She is studying Chinese med now.
Basically I believe it is all related to your health condition.  When you had good diet, enough sleep, adequete exercise, your body condition(immune system improves.)  When I don't have enough sleep, spring is like a nightmare to me.  When I have enough sleep, good mood, I don't even have any allergic symptom.  My son got hive recently each time he went to swim.  He never had this before but he has been sick and weak(had flu and cold) for a few months.  He just turned 11 and just got vaccines -Tdap and MMR.  He works out a lot in basketball team and waterpolo.  Personally I think it's too much for a kid.  But his dad thought exercise is good for him.  Somehow I think the human body is giving out warning sign telling its master that it can not take it anymore.  My plan is to stop all his strenuous exercise and wait for a few months to see if he will be better.  I will let you all know.
Explorer2011
the better sistem for ending acuagenic urticaria is steam bath every day so when you are very very skin hot take a shower cold and that's it ...
Hi. I am Linah from South Africa and i also have aquagenic urticaria. I am black so i don't get red rash what happens is i get mosquito bite like sores and they are very painful to a point that it gets difficult for me to breath as any movement hurts and when i scratch they become even worse. Whether its cold or hot water, sweat, chlorine water, sometimes even a fizzy drink can start it. Has anyone ever had they to the point that they even straggle to breath like me?
Hello
My daughter aged 15 has this and its been an ongoing concern of mine that no doctor has really ever taken any notice of it other then we dont really know what it is
I also have the problem with her if we give her water to drink like is recommended for children in hot weather her face swells and she is just so so sore she gets a measles like rash in big patches that is very itchy all over her body
I have combated the hydration problem for now with giving her sports drinks that are high in salts so that she doesnt have to drink to much but can stay Hydrated (im not sure what this is doing to her kidneys but)
as we live in Australia and we sometimes have day after day of hotter heats I had to do something for her or we where in the hospital having her rehydrated with yes WATER as noone would listen to me so it was hospital to fix one thing then home to fix another and it wasnt doing her schooling any good i can tell u
I find this interesting that not many so called doctors or skin specs know anything about this when its so excessable on the internet and seems to be a very common thing after reading many many pages on it
So come on you so called professionals maybe its time for you all to step up the plate and start helping these people its not just a case of I dont know or maybes its very uncomfortable and draining on all concerned I know i have spent years trying to find out what I can do and what it was
Does anyone else have the prob of there face swelling with this ? the swelling is like she has been stung by a bee (the only way i can explain it)
nothing seems to work to help her with her rash at all

Hello

Being diagnosed with aquagenic urticaria, and discovering that is was really rare, had me thinking about all these posts. apparently i am one of the 30 officially recognized with this condition, but it seems weird that heaps of people think they have it. the best way to discover it you actually have it or not is a few ways. 1. have a cool shower with no soap......... see what happens, stand in the rain........... see what happens, if you keep becoming itchy then there is a chance you may have it. go to a dermatologist and demand an ice block test (as many will diagnose people purely on what they tell you).

hope you all get better :)
Hey, I'm not sure if anyone's going to read this, but I was diagnosed with aquagenic urticaria and aquagenic pruritus about a year ago.
The rash and hives that form after contact with any kind of water like rain, sweat, pool or shower have slowly started to occur not just on my chest, but along my arms, all over my back and i'm noticing them on my legs now too.
I was prescribed some antihistamines which do reduce the symptoms, but only minimally and only for as long as I take them. They also have some annoying side effects, like the ones I have at the moment make me so drowsy its hard to do anything after taking them!
something were gonna have to live with i guess!
hi my husband has the same condition for 30years hes tried everything. a couple of weeks ago he  landed in hospital he wasthat bad. they pumped piriton which for a short time worked.i then went to my local holland and barratt store and they gave me  abottle of tablets called weleda urtica urens and quercetin. which at the moment is helping. i hope this information heltps. if you cant get hold of these items please let me know .there is no cure i am afraid but keep trying homapathic remidies.
Hi!I'm from Ukraine,and I have it also((The worst thing we have-that our doctors even don't know what is it!I'm really scared for my life,and I think I know when it started.When I was 16,I was in the hospital.Antibiotic medicines made me like this!Because I started to feel this dissgusting redness just after I was liying there(This incresased hystamine level made by antibiotics is the reason we have this(But no medicine will help us(we have to learn to live with Aquagenic Urticaria,we have no choise.
It appears that I'm not alone and after reading many comments online about aquagenic urticaria, it also appears that it's not as rare as most doctors think it is. I too have had the same skin reactions since I was a kid  and I'm now 33 yrs old. I live in San Rafael, California (San Fransisco Bay area)... I have the same alergic (allergic) reactions while showering and taking a bath. I also have those problems while swimming at the beach, lake, and even sweating. I too also have red swollen eyes after having tears, but I just assumed that was normal. I have never told my doctor about these symptoms just because I never wanted anyone to think I was a weirdo, but after reading how common it really is and knowing I'm not alone makes me feel more at ease with letting my doctor know. After showing my skin feels really itchy and I get white patches that make me want to itch them all over my neck, arms, back, and down to my stomch. I even spit up water if I drink it doesn't matter if it's distilled or not. All water beverges makes my stomache upset. The itchy rash from sweating and after being exposed to water looks and feels similiar to flea biites from a cat or dog. Anyhow, it's interesting reading everyones comments on this "rare" disorder. Thanks, Angelina.
I have Urticaria and I didn't realize but when I played soccer when I was younger, the back of my hands/wrists would get real itchy and hives would form didn't think much of it. One day when I was about 15, we just opened the pool about mayish and I went in and ended up breaking out all over in hives. Had somewhat warm shower and was fine. Thought it could be the chlorine or chemicals and stuff. Happened a few months later at a lake this time (fresh water.)
The next time I was at the doctors I mentioned it. He said its rare but not uncommon. Basically told me to do more research if I wanted to. Since mine wasn't sever, he told me to just take an allergy pill before going into water temps that differ from body temp. Also to gradually get used to the water, so if a pool real cold to slowly get in and not to jump in. And to make sure people are around when swimming.
Since hives are caused by the blood going to your skin, if it's drastic temperature change to your body the blood will rush to your skin, and could faint and drown.( if it was real sever) But just to take a reactine before/ and gradually get used to the water.  
katie
in 13 years old and ive just been diagnosed with aquagenic urticaria but ive lived withit for as long as i can remember. and i know how much it hurts because i really like to go swimming with my friends durring the summer and after 1-2 hours it hits me like a bomb of torture and im so embarassed and it irritates me so bad that i have to leave my friend and the only thing that help is like 2-3 pills or tablets of benadril and i just zonk and the worst thing is i can get it any time even when im trimming my lilac bushes and the hive hit me any where even  my scalp and the bottom of my feet. i can feel your pain and it ***** but really god is putting up to the test to see if we are strong and determaned to help this condition get better and hope the doctors finda cure or a better treatment to help us.
My 14 yr old son started having the same symptoms over a year ago.  He gets hives any time he is exposed to moisture (water, sweat, humidity).  It happens daily, often multiple times, and it lasts for on average 90 minutes.  It's been a really rough year!  We've been to specialists.  Prednisone only helped temporarily, at fairly high dosages.  Antihistamines didn't help.  Finally, his doctor found a medicine that is working!  PREPRANOLOL.  We are thrilled!!!!  This medication is a "beta blocker".  It is safe to use long term.  It has no serious side effects.  (And the added plus... costs under $3 per month!).  He started taking 10 mg per day, a week ago.  Within a few days, it started helping!  We've increased his prescription to 20 mg.  We have a fingers crossed that this is the answer... so far so good!  I hope this helps all of you as well!  
Angela
Granuloma annulare is ROUND like ring worm and is very red in the raised fleshy part. Aquagenic Urticaria is red in streaks with a raised area that can be red or white. These two don't even look alike in mild cases. I woudl get a second opinon
Hi Tania, I am from a leading weekly women's magazine in Australia and we would love to speak with you about your condition and how you are coping in the hope of helping other people with the condition. If you could please contact me or provide me with your contact details, I would love to chat to you further over the phone. My email address is stacey.***@****
I am amazed at how many people suffer from this condition and doctors still know nothing about it. I have had aquagenic urticaria since I was born. Mom told me she freaked out the first time she bathed me. I am like most of you allergic to any form of water touching my skin (shower, swimming, rain, sweat). It's not when water drys on my skin, but when it's there to long. It only happens on my chest, torso, back, and neck. Through the years it's never gotten any worse and if I leave them alone the go away in about 30 mins. From all the responses there seems to be quite a variety of this disease. I agree that AHs help and aloe lotions take away some of the awful itching, but i've honestly learned to just endure it knowing if left alone the blotches will go away on their own. The worst of it is the embarrassment of going swimming and friends noticing and having to explain. People never believe you can actually be allergic to water. It sadly makes me feel better that there are others out there who understand. I hope maybe this will make doctors look at this disease with clear minds and pray they find a cure.
We utilized a combination of Zyrtec and Singulair with good results, for the treatment of aquagenic urticaria and cold urticaria.
Are there any other forms of water allergies, or do I definitely have aquagenic urticaria? It seems relatively rare (or at least not diagnosed), but I've always had it, so I thought it was normal if not a given for sensitive skin.

I didn't think it was weird until I showed it to my mom and she was like "THAT'S SO WEIRD". Every time I shower my chest breaks out into hives, and within the past few months it's become almost unbearably painful--washing my hair or scrubbing my skin with soap makes it burn even worse, but I want to maintain decent hygiene.

Is this specifically related to the epidermis, and can it be localized? I don't get it on my legs (although my skin gets really flaky) and it's fine when I drink water. I absolutely hate exercising and having salty water pour out of my eyes (crying), because both irritate the crap out of my skin.

Also.. Could it just be my eczema? I never had eczema on my chest and don't have have any active breakouts though. Do people with aquagenic urticaria also have eczema or other sensitive skin issues? If anyone has answers, please email me at paintyourxtarget (at) gmail (dot) com. Thanks!
Hi All
I had Aquagenic Pruritus for several years, and found that high doses of antihistamines worked very well before a shower.
However the thing that CURED it was going to the local hospital and receiving special UVB light treatment from the TLO1 spectrum. After many sessions the problem has completely gone.
Ask for a referral to a Dermatologist and ask for TLO1
I've been doing a little research on this and for the cases where there's no actual relation with chemicals in the water (chlorine, iodine etc) this "allergy" actually seems to have psychological (psychosomatic) origins.

Your body is mostly water. If you're "allergic" to water (pure H2O) you are basically allergic to "being human". Think about it! Also, for the people reporting that anti-histaminics have actually worked, have you ever stopped to  think that you may be benefiting from a placebo effect? There's very little credible scientific evidence that "Aquagenic Urticaria" triggers histaminic reactions.

Don't take me wrong. I am not saying that the suffering of some of the people here is not real. It actually is real, but the source of this suffering may be different from what you think.
I have been diagnosed with aquagenic urtica and have been under a skin Consultant with the NHS in England.  It took 3 months to diagnose the problem.  My skin burns in contact with anything warmer than warm water,  Occasionally, my legs react with small skin bleeds and itch like mad.  Around my waist i get raised lumps that are similar to what you get when stung by a stinging nettle.  I have been advised not to go into power showers, or use jacuzzis, or swim against water jets in swimming pools.  I haven't done so.

I was treated with UV light, Ranitidine ( a beta blocker that has a side effect that blocks messages going from the stomach to the skin) and Xyzal ( a strong antihistamine) that deals with the messages (what feels like bee stings) if they get to the skin.

In the early stages I also washed with Oilatum gel to keep the skin moist.

Since this treatment I have managed to keep my skin under control but now and again it itches or in a shower occasionally feels literally as if razor blades are being cut into my skin.

I hope this experience might help some out there especially the use of the |UV light and the medication.

Good luck
hello i am stevie speer i am a singer with aquagenetic urticaria i live in washington not alot of people believe me when i tell them im allergic to water because the thought of being allergic to the most common product on earth is bizare but i have some things that might help i have heard that rubbiong vassaline on the rashes and hives will soothe the itching a little and im not exactly sure but there was a time when i fell asleep and water was dri[pping from my friends shelf on to me and i woke up very itchy covered in hives and im not exactly sure because i was in to much pain to focus but i believe i put antibacterial soap on them it hurt for a little at first but i soothed it for a little while so maybe try that
Yeaah me too! but i live in suffolk..mine isnt as bad as others but people think im joking when i tell them because they've never heard of it or just dont believe me
My friend had this and was treated with UVB lighting 3 times a week for 9 months at a skin and cancer clinic and that worked for her.  Good luck
Hello fellow suffers,
My name is Celia Burton and I have aquagenic urticaria.  I've had it for 10 years and I'm still suffering. I get the little stingy, itch bumps around my waist, sides, chest, thighs and back.  Sometimes it''s in one or two places and not the other and sometimes I get a free pass and don't get them after showers, why I don't know but I'm so grateful when that happens and I thank God in tears. I was staring to get them in the morning which happened for about a week, but they stopped.  Who knows why they came or why they stopped but I did start a new med. which I stopped taking.   I found that while my skin is still wet I start rubbing alot of Aloe gel which cools helps the itching alot. I'm reading alot about drinking Aloe so I will probably try that soon.  I hate taking showers but I like everyone must. I do limit my showers to 2 to 3 times a week and avoid doing anything that will make me sweat which irritates my condition.. I understand that natural herbs take at least 2 weeks to take affect.  The anti-histamine use to work benadrly ,ranidine, zyertex combinations don't work anymore. My immune system is so overactive that they aren't  effective anymore. Three days ago I started taking Bio-tumeric. Tumeric is a spice used in cooking mostly by eastern cultures, but studies have shown it has anti-inflammation properties and balances the immune system. What we have is an overactive immune system and our mast cells send out too many anti-histamines, over reacting to any irritant which means that our condition is an autoimmune disease it's akin to lupus and shingles. I'm grateful it's not one of those, because these hives are hell enough. Also funnel and camomile are other herbs said to help.
I find my life so restricted by this problem. No swimming or jacuzzi,limited exersize no fun.
Hello all. My name is Delonie. I have finally found out that I have this. I have had this for about 9 years now. & it's a constant battle. I was told I could be allergic to chlorine, but even when swimming in a lake or simply sweating I get extremely itchy so the chlorine allergy just never made sense to me. It seemed chlorine did some how make it worse, though. I finally after all these years have broke down & researched my symptoms & figured out this was what I most likely had! & today my doctor told me she was 99.9% positive that I was right. I am being give a cream to try before taking showers & bathing & hopefuly it will help. I NEVER in my wildest dreams would have believed someone could be allergic to WATER or yet their own sweat! :/ I do have a few medical problems so this being added is not what I wanted! This all started around the time I had my 4th or 5th brain surgery & it seems over the years it has just gotten progressively worse. I break out into light red (slightly purple/blue tinted) rashes. I love taking showers & baths, but this condition has ruined it for me. :( I like work out & exercise, but yet I know what I'm done I'm extremely itchy from the sweat on my body. Rain makes me itchy as well! I can't enjoy any water!
I have it too- since I was in jr. high 20 years ago.
Mine has gone through stages of not being so terrible and other times when it flares quite a bit.  I recently started a food challenge diet to try to identitfy food allergies and now my skin is acting up almost around the clock instead of only when I'm showering or swimming.  I am scared it is from me drinking the water!  I keep getting a coughing/choking feeling!  My husband just drove to the store to pick up some distilled water to see if that helps.
Does anyone's condition improve with a low-stress lifestyle?  It almost seems like it must be hormone-related because so many of us started experiencing it in puberty.  I also am allergic to dust mites and various molds.  Is that a common trait with this condition?
I thought this allergic was rare, but so many people have it. I just read here.
hey i've been living with the same thing for three years now, after i had my first child. my doctor told me i was his first case he's ever seen. but i think there are more people out there like this than our doctors think. there is no treatment and no cure but there arent for alot of things. and it hurts me that i won't be able to do alot of things with my children that most parents can do. but i keep doing my reseach and keep urgeing my doctor for help and maybe one day someone will come up with something. and now that i know i'm not alone in this battle helps me along the way!
Aquagenic Urticaria. is a paralysis in the skin nerves. The wind energy can not move inside as it lacks mineral the Calcium. This calcium can be sent through the skin by lighting holy lamp with ghee and few combination of herbals. If you need more information please mail me.This disease forms in the womb itself or the calcium in the skin nerve is absorbed by the sudden development of Phosphorus and iron in blood that passes through the skin nerve. I wish to offer few suggestions. Please contact me.
iyerindianr(at)gmail(dot)com
I also have aquagenic uticaria. I was diagonoced several years ago. Have any of your doctors mentioned xolair shots. It has really helped with the hives. Before taking the shots I had tried all the antihistamines which would show only small improvments for short periods of time. If anyone has questions feel free to email me at ***@****. I am more then willing to talk to anyone that has concerns with having this. I know it can be more then frusterating.
I do not have this, but I have other allergies (including hives, but they never last more than an hour and I have no idea what brings them on as they are rare).  However I have 2 ideas for y'all.

(1) (You can read about this in the OmegaRX Zone, by Dr. Baryy Sears, PhD Lipid science).  Inflammatory cytokines are made in the process of metabolizing non-omega-3 fats (maybe omega-6, not sure).  The enzymes used to metabolise these fats are the same ones that metabolise omega-3 fats.  If you take a high dose of omega-3 (7-9g/day) it uses up the enzymes so you cannot make inflammatory cytokines.  (So obviously this won't help you if they are already made, but will prevent more being made - so like other allergy drugs like Flonase, start it the day before you need it).  It uncrabs my head and I have the worst hayfever my allergist has ever seen.  Also, I have seen studies showing high dose omega-3 can actually cure (not just treat) psoriasis.  So I think this strategy might be particularly useful with skin allrgies.

(2) Someone said their problem arose after a trip to the dentist.  Dentists used to give laughing gas, which destroys vitamin B12.  I belonged to a forum of people with methylation problems, and they found that some of their allergies improved when they improved their methylation.  Well, I also improved my methylation and the only thing that improved was allergy to bug bites (a skin allergy).  So maybe it would help your skin allergy.  You improve methylation by taking active B vitamins and TMG (betaine).  As an example, an active B supplement is made by Thorne, I think Pure Encapsulations also makes one (not sure, I use Thorne).  These include methylcobalamine and adenosylcobalamine (active B12s), methylfolate (active folate), and P5P (active B6).  I purchase the TMG separately from Soloray in 1g dose.  Others on the forum found that increasing methylation increases the need for potassium, 500mg or more (we take as powder in a drink).  You cannot do this if you have any sort of kidney problem as then you cannot excrete potassium.  I am not a doctor.  But electrolyte problems are serious.  What happens is that many people have a malfunctioning methyl cycle (that's a biochemical cycle) due to either genetics or poor diet (junk food, overprocessed food).  The methyl cycle enzymes use B vitamins and betaine as cofactors.  Some people genetically have enzymes that cannot hang on to these cofactors, others are just not getting the vitamin cofactors in their diet.  The methyl cycle makes methyl groups (carried by SAMe, the universal methyl donor, throughout the body) and methyls are used to turn on/off chemical reactions.  So w/o enough methyls many reactions that should be ON are left OFF.  When you allow them to be turned ON, you open up additional biochemical pathways which also need different vitamin cofactors (that's why they are called VITAMINS, they are required for life!).  So you really should take a good multi vitamin.  But the most serious need will be for more potassium...at least that is what we have found.  But we take many, many other supplements as well as once your biochemical pathways are working ALL vitamins are needed!  You are on your own if you try this.  I suggest researching the methyl biochemical cycle.  Here are a few sites that might help to get you started: http://www.enzymestuff.com/methylation.htm
http://www.heartfixer.com/AMRI-Nutrigenomics.htm
I forgot to mention that with solution (1) (which is the safest solution because you don't have to know anything much to try it), you need a very pure omega-3.  Pharmaceutical grade.  Because otherwise there will be algae fats in the omega-3 and they will irritate your stomach at that high dose.  This is all spelled out in the book by Barry Sears (who also is the author of the Zone Diet books, also based on biochemistry).
Good morning everyone. I am a student currently enrolled in a rare diseases course and wondered if anyone here would be willing to talk to me about your personal experience with Aquagenic Urticaria: how you were diagnosed, your symptoms, and how you felt after receiving the diagnosis. I recently gave a presentation on this disease, but I was curious to hear from those who have it since I know AU can vary from person to person. Thanks ahead of time and have a great day.
I take fexofenadine hydrochloride (180mg) and it reduces the big hives to small dots that are much less noticeable (good for when out in public to spare embarrassment).

I have had this condition for 4 years, and I believe it was triggered by the contraceptive pill (which I continue to take; I'd rather have hives than a baby).

It doesn't have to ruin your life if you don't let it, I live normally and just take it as it comes (although I unseratand many endure much harsher symptoms than I). Keep your head up.

To the student who posted above me, I would be happy to answer any questions you may have, let me know how I can contact you.

And to anyone recently diagnosed, welcome to the family.
AT LAST!!! I developed 'eczema' and asthma when I was around 11 years old with the onset of puberty. I have always thought there was more to my so called eczema than what the doctors said. I have gone through years of varying symptoms and have just learnt to live with it. As above, showers, swimming and worst of all exercise brings on symptoms. I also believe I am allergic to dust and mould. While pregnant with my second child the above all went into overdrive and I did not sleep for many months as just lying in bed formed so much heat that the itch would keep me awake and tossing and turning all night. Although there is no cure it is so nice to possibly know that I have a disease with an actual name and not just thrown into the category of eczema.
I'm a 20-year-old female from Belgium and I've had aquagenic urticaria since I was 12. It just appeared out of the blue one day. It started on my back (the upper part), then slowly spread (day by day) to other parts as well. Now everything is "affected" after contact with water, except for my feet, legs and hands. I used to shower daily at that time - for the last two years I've been trying to shower only 3 to 4 times a week, only for a few minutes (except when I have to wash my hair).
I get these itchy(!) hives when I take a bath, when I shower, when I go swimming in a swimming pool or in the ocean, when I shower, etc. Even my own sweat triggers a reaction. Whether the water is cold or hot makes no difference. They usually appear after about 5 to 10 minutes, and it takes about one or two hours for them to disappear again.

I went to the dermatologist and she gave me an ointment with cortisone which I had to use on the hives when they would appear. The ointment made the hives disappear faster, but it did not prevent them. The dermatologist then submitted me to some allergy tests but nothing came out (except for an allergy to cobalt and nickel). So she concluded that it must be aquagenic urticaria, and told me that nothing could be done about it. She mentioned that it was possible to take other, more advanced, tests, but that these were very expensive and that they rarely produced results.
She gave me a prescription for antihistaminica (Zyrtec / Ceterizine), which prevents the hives when taken daily. This works for me, but I only use it when I go swimming in public or something like that - I don't like taking too much pills, and certainly not if I feel tired after taking them.

As for my skin in general: it's always rather dry and sensitive. Some moisturizing creams even give me allergic reactions (other than the aquagenic urticaria). But whether my skin is hydrated by a moisturizing cream or not, doesn't matter: the hives always appear.

I also seem to have some kind of allergic rhinitis, which causes symptoms related to those of having a cold. I recently went to an allergy specialist, had some ***** tests on my arms, but I wasn't allergic to any of the allergenes I was tested for. Still, the symptoms of allergic rhinitis remain...

Recently, I had to take a cure of 10 capsules of Diflucan, one capsule a week, because of recurrent vaginal yeast infections. (The active ingredient of Diflucan is "fluconazole".) This had an impact on my aquagenic urticaria. After one capsule the number of hives severely diminished, and after the second capsule, they were completely GONE. No hives, no itching, nothing. This lasted for about 10 weeks, but as soon as I stopped taking the Diflucan, the hives gradually came back. A few weeks later, the doctor prescribed me a second cure of Diflucan, and the same thing happened: after the second capsule, my symptoms of aquagenic urticaria completely disappeared. I went to see an allergy/immunology specialist, but he simply said that he didn't know where that reaction came from - and refused to think deeper about it.
(If there is anyone who has similar problems, or has a similar reaction to Diflucan, please let me know.)

Hope this was detailed enough :)

I have always had an allergic reaction to water, whether its from showering, swimming pools, lakes, ocean water, rain or sweat. I get red splotchy itches mostly on my stomach, chest, and neck. but it is not sever and usually goes away fairly quickly once i dry off. I am 31 years old and have been this way as long as I can remember. I have never really researched this or the cause. I just tell people I'm allergic to water. I guess that my situation is not as severe as others I have recently read about, but maybe its a milder form of the disease?
I just found this!  

I had it for a while, but now I just get mild hives/eczema to varying degrees.

I am fairly pale, so after a bath my red patches were very prominent.

I don't think it is the additives in the water because I went from good water in the UK to even better mountain water in Greece and still got them.  I tried hot, warm and cold water and still the same.  I even tried a 15 second bath at room temperature.  No difference.

I really don't think there is a magic pill out there, but I have really tried to identify what I am allergic to and avoid it.  I am getting better all the time.

The Doctors seem to hate this approach.  "Don't you want to go out with your mates for a pizza?" asked my doctor when I told him I wanted to avoid all possible allergens.

So there it is.  Avoid your allergens.  Mine was my cat.  I had to give him away.  I only eat non-preserved stuff.  Meat, fruit, veg, proper bread, milk etc.  In other words I avoid anything with man-made stuff in it.  The worst one for me is sulphur dioxide, and that seems to be in everything from frozen chips (French fries) to fresh prawns.  Give me some long-life pate and I can show you firework display on my skin.

I shouldn't go onto your Doctor about this too much though, especially if you live in the UK or US because they rather you eat what you like and they just want to try to treat the symptoms.  Plus, if everyone avoided sulfites that were allergic to them, it would really damage our economies.

Hope this helps.
How many of you that have Aquagena Uticaria are also allergic to Sulfa based drugs?
hi, just come back from norwich hospital i have been diagnosed with Aquagenic urticaria i thought i was going mad, but now i know whats wrong with me i can't cry, sweat, bath/shower, go out in the rain, swim, paddle in the sea, i also can not use any creams/lotions, deodorant, if i go in the rain i look like a red dalmatian dog, can any one give me any advise? had this for about a year now, i'm 11years old, from kitkat and mum  xx
hi i am from india
i have also aquagenic urticaria it pains very much please tell me is there any cure of this disease or something to get pain from this hives please tell me my email id is ***@****......
I was born with aquagenic urcticara and I am 15. Anything that has water in it makes me break out in hives for several hours. I recently found out that I am also allergic to olive oil. I really don't know what to do about any of it besides deal with it and take medicine around the clock. It lessens the pain but doesn't stop it completely. I love swimming af being in the rain but my swimming suits and clothes stitck to my skin and makes it worse. I just deal with it and try to act like nothing is wrong when someone asks about it. I would really like someone to talk to about this but there is no one around me that quite understands what is happening to me everyday.
~Crystal
hi,im liplop im sitting here had a very quick bath, look like a lobster, stinging like hell, my skin is soooooooo painful, i'm 11 and I also love swimming (will i ever be able to swim again?) cant use any creams on my skin,i'm dreading the summer in case i sweat, if you get caught out in the rain do you turn red and spotty? Only been diagnosed a couple of months ago, had it well over a year now, on friday i have been prescribed with fexfenadine and cetirizine together, hope to see some improvements, what tablets do you take? do they help and do you have any tips?
liplop and mum x  
I was diagnosed with Aquagenic Urticaria in 2009, although it has been an issue for as long as I can remember. I was diagnosed when I went to see a dermatologist for an unrelated case of pityriasis rosea. I asked him if the pityriasis rosea had anything to do with the hives I get when I take a shower or sweat he said no that is a completely different condition. He then asked me a few more questions and the informed me that I have aquagenic urticaria. This is something I have had since I was a child so I am very used to living with it. It is just a normal but very miserable part of who I am. I try to take quick showers and dry off as quickly as possible. I live on the gulf of mexico and I love the water. I also love to swim, so I have to take an allergy medicine daily if I want to swim without to much misery. I stay indoors most of the day and try to find shade when I do have to be outside. The itching and burning are so intense that I often feel like I will go insane if I can't scratch it. My family doesn't understand how frustrating it is just to take a shower. I have a sister who can somewhat relate because she has the same symptoms and even the hives when her skin is exposed to cold air.
I'm 20 and I've been braking out now for about 6 years. Doctors never really bothered to completely diagnose me for almost 5 years, I was just put on antihistamines and each time I would complain they had stopped working they would just up my dose. I have always know what it was and it wasn't until the start of this year that my doctor sent me to the hospital.
Although my experience to being diagnose was very nice as often doctors had never heard or it or just didn't understand and therefore some of them presumed I was over reacting and they where then ofter rude to me; in the end I had to take  pictures of what was happening and show them in order for something to be done.
My most recent doctor really helped, he explained all about the h1,h2 and h3 receptors and after he had gone through it I was able to google those terms and look it up a bit more in order for me to understand. I now take 360mg a day of fexofenadine hydrochloride for when my skin comes in to contact with water and also 300mg a day of Ranitidine as I was complaining of stomach problems and the doctor said this was to do with too much acid being built up in my stomach because of this allergy, and so far so good as both these dose's have been working for me for almost 8 months now; longer then any other medication every has :).
I know this is long but I hope this has helped, please don't be afraid to write back :)!

Katie :)
Hello

I too suffer from Aquagenic Urticaria.  I have never been fully diagnosed, but my systems are that of the same.  After any exposure to water whether it is from a shower, pool, lake or bath it is all the same (well actually the hotter the water the worse it is!), 10 mins after my legs and arms itch and prickly burn so bad I feel like I would rather rip off my skin for some relief and this feeling last just over an hour.  Some times there are very slight red bumps (hives) but most of the time there is no physical evidence.

The worst part about this is that I LOVE to swim!! I am currently pregnant and even before I was pg, I was over weight, so swimming was and still is my favourite way of working out because it reduces the strain on my joints.  

Now because of this reaction to water, I have been almost scared to even step foot in a pool (at least salt water is better than chlorinated).  A few weeks ago now I was up at our cottage, relaxing on the dock, and I totally forgot to put sunscreen on.  Oops, but here’s the thing! Yes I got a sun burn, not bad enough that I was blistering, one of those burns that last for about 2 days and turn to a tan…. The following day I decided to tough it out and cool off in the lake as I was cooking.  I jumped in quickly and climbed out again, bracing for the itch, it didn’t end up coming….. so I went back in and spent a little longer in….again no itch.  I was soooooooooooo excited to have discovered this!  I had a little bit of itching in locations that I didn’t have a sun burn, but it was nothing in compared to what it normally is like.  YEAH!!!

Now I warn you, the burn only lasts for a few days and for me the no itching only lasted for about 2-3 days after the burn faded away.  I’m not saying go get a sunburn, but it helped me…..

It is now the end of the summer and my burn is totally gone and I had an extreme episode this morning….. I would be heading to a tanning bed, but being 8 months pregnant I can’t do that.  I hope my discovery helps somebody have relief for a few days at least
I have it also it is so embarrasing i take allergy medicine with lortadine in it and it seemed to work for a little while but it no longer helps me. Whenever i sweat, go in any types of water, or sitting at the beach makes me have the reaction.. The dermatologist also told me that aquagenic urticaria is rare and that there is no cure yet because it is so rare:( i get itchy small bumps (they dont burn) just itch on my back neck and torso area but no where else. I really am getting sick of this because its becoming a huge problem in my life. This all happened when i was 13 after i had an allergic reaction to penacillin. Immediately after i began getting these symptoms. :(
I am 63 years old and have had aquagenic uticaria since I was 14.  I still have it today.   Everyone has my sympathy who has this condition. I use atarax just before showering or swimming (fortunately a mild dose of a 25 mg) is all I need to help with the itching.  I have used this since I was 19 years old and have had no side affects from it.  It may make you slightly sleepy.  (It does not stop the itching just helps reduce the time of it and the severity of it)I also find now that I am older that using as hot water as you can stand and then hitting with straight cold for a very very short time after down showering can reduce the itching.  I also use the new microfiber towels and only PAT do not rub dry and that helps reduce the itching.  this is a hereditary problem and as someone above said it is not a true allergery to water.   I was told over and over that it is a physical reaction that when water hits your body something comes to the surface of your skin and when water hits that that is what causes the hives.

My mom took me to 5 doctors who all told her the same thing in the early 1960's.  that i had aquagenic uticaria.  They told me to never swim alone because you never know how severe a reaction you may have at any time and the way you react could change.

I was told also that it is hereditary and both of our sons have some form of this condition (fortunately neither is as severe as I was when younger).

I found out an aunt has a form of it.

I have had problems with my own sweat and rain causing me to itch and have hives.  When hospitalized the sheets are thin and no padding to protect you from the vinyal cover on the mattress, so your sweat will break you out in hives.  therefore after this happening several times in the hospital they now tell me to bring my own bedding which includes a mattress pad.

As I face getting older and not seeing this condition going away just the severity of the reaction changing (I still itch all the time  just how severe is the change)  of course my mind thinks how in the world if I land in a nursing home is this condition going to be handled?  
I am 23, from Australia and sadly suffer and have been diagnosed by a specialist with aquagenic urticaria since the age of 14, i become rashy, short of breath, huge arse whelts (yah not hives), and sometimes go into anapylaxis.

I reccomend that anyone who thinks they are suffering from this condition to see a specialist about it. purely because it is a very very very rare condition. this is not to say that you dont have it but.......
a. people commonly mistake their reaction for either cholenergic urticaria (quite common condition reasonably easily treatable) or they have the shower too hot, or they are allergic to something in the water like cholrine or a mineral rather than a reaction just from the H the 2 and the O hitting the skin (mistakingly reported, but aquagenic urticaria is the reaction to pure water rather than specific components like chlorine).
b. if you people who think you have it but havent been diagnosed, actually have it, then go find out because the more people who have it the more likely a proper research will happen and we may find answers :) at the moment research papers (as in information published in medical journals and not on the internet) havent actually proven that this is a histamine thing, which is explains (kinda sorta) why sometimes antihistamines dont work on all people with this condition (like me sometimes).

i have a question though. i break out in welts, and my face cracks, and bleeds. im ok and i deal with that. but i am curious to know if this happens to other people with this condition and how they deal with the constant "OMG WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO YOU" response.

one thing for those who are down. i struggle (as im sure many of you guys do) with convincing people that you actually have this condition as a standard response is often "how can you be allergic to water, you need it to live." the best comeback is "what do people with asthma struggle with??"

p.s i know this is bad grammar, yes english is my first language and i went to a decent school but my brain isnt working today sorry :(
I live in the UK and have just returned from a hospital appointment with a dermatologist who my GP reffered me as soon as I explained my symptoms. She told me I have Aquagenic Urticaria and sent me for blood tests to see if there is another underlying problem as apparantly it can just be a symptom of something else. In my case she suspects it is related to my underactive thyroid  but did mention hodgekins lymphoma, did anyone else have this water reaction as a symptom of anything else? The dermatolgist prescribed me some anti histamines to take 20 mins before I have a bath/shower which she said should relieve most of the itching and hives but if not she also gave me some menthol in aqueous cream which apparantly cools and moisturises. Hopefully these will help as my symptoms have been progressivly getting worse for 8 years now!
Just recently I have discovered that I have Aquagenic Urticaria and have had it for 3 years. The doctors I've been to have been unable to tell me the problem until just two days ago when I had gone to an allergist. I, being only 14 and in highschool, have been in shock due to this rare allergy being unheard of to me. I have no clue what I can do, besides what I've been told to. They gave me Zyrtec, in which I have to take daily, as well as two inhalers and a set of EpiPens. I feel so alone :(
I have had uticaria for over 10 years now, I have verious prescribed antihistamines that I take daily. It keeps me up on a night, and effects my daily routine. I get the hives all over my body, sometimes I scratch until I bleed. All I can suggest is to see a dermo
Hi all. I´m 45 and I have had it now for 39 years.
Male, live in Gothenburg, Sweden
Something that does work for my skin;
Neem oil from India or Pakistan
Alright, Happy New Skin Year to all.
I also live in Missouri and have the same problem. It started when I was about 10-12 years old I am now 26 and it still happens. Rain water lake water pool sweat anything that gets on my skin. Mine is only on my upper arms my torso that's as far as it goes, but it terrible and I am not taking anything for it. I am sorry to everyone that has to deal with this!!!
Hello, i just read your post and saw that you have the most recent one. Though I don't have the disorder, I am doing a paper on it and I'm wondering if you would be willing to answer a few questions about it from your own experience?
Chronic urticaria is usually associated with some sort of manifestation of an autoimmune disease. I have a rare disease that has a vast array of symptoms and did not experience urticaria until 2008. My urticaria is caused by various things - water, temperature change (hot to cold, cold to hot), clothes touching skin, sun, etc. I lost tons of sleep because of this tortuous symptom. Then, thanks to my wonderful doctors, they put me on Doxepin. The dosage is 60 mg at night. I'm able to drift into a deep, restful sleep, and the urticaria is not active. I know this works because I've experimented by going without the Doxepin for a few days, and the urticaria comes back. Doxepin was used mainly as an anti-depressant for many years, but it was also discovered to suppress an overactive immune system especially regarding urticaria. If any of the other listed advice doesn't work, then please try Doxepin. It will bring you rest, relief, and peace of mind. Good luck!
I am 47, I have had this since 14. One of my sons has it as well (he is 24 and started about same age as for myself) - so it IS hereditary.
Update (4 years later) No changes.
I am in Australia and I have aquagenic urticaria. I itch after being in any type of salt water and my face burns. I also itch after showering. Would love to know if any types of shower filters have helped anyone?
I do have the same condition with water, sweat, sea and few more, and also I have fair skin...