Allergy Community
I smell exhaust fumes all the time

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Viewing 201 comments:
Had same problem. Exhaust smell. Eyes burn. Sinus congestion. Started after treating basment for bad mold problem and breathing a lot of Lysol. Had a heavy duty mask at the time but know that is when it started. Can be triggered by several things but computer fan exhaust seems to be the worst . Seen lots of specialist and each seems to have a different explanation   Have been taking lymactol for several yeas and also heavy pain mends since  botched back surgery. Closest thing that doctors  have suggested is multiplayer chemical sensivity.  
I have the same damn problem.  IT gets so bad that my eyes water, my nose burns and my lungs burn from it.  I have been to an ent and my sinuses are clear.  Every one I have seen is baffled by this.  The longest it has went on is a month and a half.  I have been dealing with it for a year and a half.  If you get an answer let me know.
I've lived in my house for 12 years now. The house was built in 1917 and has a history of abusive occupants. Ever since I moved in I would smell something like someone smoking a cigarette. You know how you walk up to a bunch smokers standing around and you get that second hand smoke smell? The weird thing was it was only in certain small areas in the house. I would walk between the dining room and the living room and just get a whiff of it, and then it was gone. The house was totally renovated before I moved in so I always just assumed it was old left over smell creeping in.

Lately for the past few Months I have smelled a different odor. It could be cigarettes but it smells more like exhaust fumes. It seems to be worse at night and it is all over the house. Recently I had my ducts cleaned and also have had work done it the attic and under the house in the crawl space. I think it started after that some time. I am very concerned that it may be unhealthy and I'm not sure what to do. I've read these comments and many of them make sense so I think I will call a professional.
I have had this gasoline or solvent odor around me for a few days.   I can't believe how many people have posted the same problem.  I though for sure solvent odor was entering my office through the door cracks.  I work where employees clean furniture products with solvent.  No one else in the office can smell it though.  I'm researching this because now I'm home and smell it while on the computer.  I have had some sinus issues.  Nothing serious, just real dry right now.  I have been tired and I'm probably not drinking enough water.  I get so busy!  I'm a little worried now!  I now know it's me, not my surroundings.  wow. i don't know what to do.
Long story short I endured a similar situation, mine was due to a non ventilated automotive shop, that I started employment during the end of the winter months, in weeks I developed symptoms as throat irritation, headaches, runny nose, which I mostly curved by consuming cough drops, then spring came the doors opened and things stayed as they were, not any better or worse, just eat a few cough drops here and there and I was able to manage, would just grunt through those symptoms....until fall came around, the doors got closed, low and behold those 3 or 4 symptoms began getting worse, due to every automotive chemical in the department at all times.....as time went on during fall into the winter months, symptoms piled up, on top of the ones I already was fighting, the numbness spread throughout my body, I lost all feeling of everything from head to toe, ringing of the ears, blurry vision, balance started out off a little and progressively in days moved to that of the most intoxicated person I've ever seen...."Ive never drank a day in my life", a brain fog so potent it became hard for me to tell you where I was at and what I was doing, by this point I was tasting and smelling these chemicals every where, no matter home, outside or in that damn place.....but I kept going back, the chemicals continued to build up, my lungs were throwing out this clear cottage cheese textured stuff, that went from clear, to orange, to red!!! My hair was falling out at an insane rate, my finger/toe nails quit growing, sleeping 15 hours a day and still could hardly get out of bed, I developed some odd tickling sensation throughout my cardiovascular system that would occur every time my heart would beat, that I could feel.....nothing more though, nervous system was gone, my throat/lungs/stomach smelled as if they was an exhaust stack on top of a nuclear reactor, chemical infested in other words.Consuming a bottle of pepto a day, with 15 or so tums/gaviscons, and prolly 10 cough drops, which was my only little relief to these chemicals. Then one night I was awoke to the craziest thing I'd ever endured to that point, my entire body felt like I was a piece of uranium 235,  fresh out of a reactor, I felt like I was practically glowing because of the amount of chemicals pouring out of every orfice on me, the stench of diesel/gasoline exhaust, just pure broken down engine oil, transmission fluid, brake cleaner, rtv's, mineral spirts, everything I was forced to inhale and ingest 10 hours a day for the past year and half was trying to get out, and get out NOW!!! The only way I can explain it is, my entire body was numb, yet I could feel it wanted to literally implode at the same time....once I was awake for 10 minutes or so it quit and I dozed back off, not knowing what actually happened at the time went back to work again, "like a dummy, I know", I thought it was a normal reaction to these chemicals, for what reason I don't know, the only thing I can come up with I was so doped up I wasn't in the right mind set, and continued to subject myself to this punishment day in an day out for few more weeks in which more symptoms came about, I started urinating a rainbow, defecating lead sinkers, mean while putting up still with all the other symptoms.....developed a full blown 6th sense, and its all I can call it...it felt like a cattle prod frying me from inside out, and what I found out instantly was it made all 25 other symptoms flare like crazy!!! The 6th sense would fry me from the smallest amounts of diesel, gas, oil, rtv's, anything with a hydrocarbon or harsh chemical background would bring me to my knees and actually render me unconscious for a second or 2, and once I came back all the other symptoms were worse.....the problem was it wasn't just at work anymore, I could no longer take a lawn mower, four wheeler, car, truck, tractor, or even a grill.....drain the oil out of your crankcase and put it in a bucket with me standing down wind and I was turned into the largest drug dopped fein you'd ever seen....long story short I couldn't walk, talk or tell you who I was period, which meant I couldn't work no more, so they fired me which left me unemployed but by this time it didn't matter.....just getting better, after a week or 2 out of there all the antacids/pepto and cough drops went to an absolute 0, I didn't need any of them, that quick, of being out of there is when I really went through what I now know was an automotive detox, that I had been going through for year straight and thought it was a normal reaction...I know you all must think I'm a complete idiot, but I had my reasons for staying, didn't really have a choice and honestly till the 6th sense settled in I wasn't positive what was making all this occur......anyway the detox's were horrible, I spent night after night dumping these chemicals, going through these uranium 235 nuclear reactor sessions for months, not being able to do anything but let them happen, while the smallest amount of anything would put me right back in the same spot I was months previously!!! All the headway I had made could be erased with one breath, I thought maybe if I just get all these chemicals out of me, I would maybe get better, as months turned into 3,4,5 and 6 months I was finally done detoxing but the sensitivity was not going down....
I was returning to a normal state as in getting my body back piece by piece, the more chemicals I got out the more of me I got back, it was totally insane, I remember having my first hunger pain in like 2 years, at first I didn't even know what it was, and I was like wow that's what that feels like, I got my stomach back, my lungs, my liver, spleen, face, hands, feet....it all was coming back in time, organ by organ, which I thought was good except every organ I got back, felt totally destroyed, 6 months went to 8 and I wished I was all doped up again because the pain was insane, at least doped up I couldn't feel the damage done, I wanted to die 100 times over going through what I had already been through, but I still wasn't out of the woods by a long shot.....I could eat again, walk, talk and tell you who I was by this time, balance and blurring vision was the only remaining symptoms all the time, but most everything else was returning!!! The catch was though that I couldn't encounter even a part per trillion of raw fossil fuel or chemical, because I could still go right back to where I was while being employed at this place, so you live like a hermit and just focus on getting better....every sense came back slowly, every muscle, every joint, every organ just felt demolished, even 8 and 9 months out of there....its now been 11 months and my balance in normal and vision is normal finally, the fog is gone, numbness comes and goes, say when I try to brush my teeth or shave, my hands go numb and cold all the time, feet are just that way all the time.....that"s without breathing any chemical that this stuff screws up, which tells me its gone forever, now my 6th sense is weaker but still there, if I hit a diesel cloud or oil cloud, even today, all those symptoms I endured for years, can come rushing back with 1 breath, tasting and smelling nothing but what was in that 1 breath for sometimes days, and keeping me sick with most of those symptoms for days on just one hit...so I live with a respirator if I even venture outside, and that's life now, I've seen doctor after doctor, diagnosis is "hydrocarbon based allergy", and in today's society you can't do anything without getting hit by those, hell I opened my sister christmas gift which was a ratcheting screw driver set, with a damn rubber grip on it, just yesterday, as soon as I lifted the lid, and didn't think about it, got slaughtered in just one part breath, the oil amount in the small rubber grip set off my 6th sense and left me impaired/high as a kite for 6 or 7 hours....headaches,numbness,blurry vision, couldn't stand, walk or talk right....its just plain annoying anymore but there is nothing that can be done, I get to live like this forever according to those the doctors....but my pride is strong and I'm pretty optimistic, the way I figure if I keep pumping iron, while eating right and staying away from all hydrocarbons, there's no reason what my body developed in 3.5 years of horrible conditions, that I can't do an entire 180 in 3.5 years of good, clean air......but that's the worst part about this joke, clean air is non existent!!! To just breath without worrying about an invisible enemy would be grand,  Seen about 10 of them damn doctors, throughout the entire timeline and same situation as most of you, "There's nothing wrong with you, your healthy as a horse, or we've never heard of something like this".....but they are all in a hurry to submit ya to a psychiatric..... so an even longer story short, at this point I wish I could just smell it and not feel it, maybe the smallest amounts wouldn't be like the most powerful drug on the planet to me!!! Just beware if your smelling it all the time, you might simply be getting to much for your body to handle, and yes I asked and begged for safety equipment throughout my employment, response was "looks bad for business", "suck it up, this is a automotive shop, not a popery shop", just comments like that make a person feel its their fault they develop things like this, like its a personal weakness of my own, the best part is there was roughly 6 or 7 of us wearing particulate masks a lot, which do nothing but was the only thing we was allowed to wear....off course there is more to the story but that is the gist, mostly posting so someone else doesn't make the same mistakes, no matter the obligations you think you might have, your health is never one to risk in that situation......just make changes, not matter what the cost, because the result could be this.....take nothing for granted, just being able to safely drive down the road, on my way to see my brother and wonder if I'll be normal when I get there, is something I have to worry about now.....Living with something like this makes you truly realize what we are doing on a planetary scale, we are killing everything and everyone on this planet, and most of us don't even have the slightest clue, all this oil in the atmosphere is good for no one, and nothing!!! When a person can get sick from a lawn that was mowed 2 days before, due to the oil settling down, has to tell someone we have to change something....emissions are good but not enough, you all developing this smell all the time and not being overexposed is proof of that!!
I'm so glad I looked this up, for about 3 weeks now I've been smelling exhaust fumes.  I live in a dead end so there is hardly any traffic.  I had my brother check the furnace, he changed the filter because I swore it was coming from there but that is not the case.  I used to get sinus infections all the time when I had a dog but I haven't had the dog or a sinus infection for over 6 years now, so I'm baffled.  And no one else can smell it when I do, I think I'm going crazy,
Had this same problem, Turned out to GERD Gastroesophageal reflux disease. Started taking Omeprazole and it was gone the next day. Smelled like a 2 cycle engine running in my room. Blocked off the vent and return. Thought it was my TV or laptop. Had an exhaust fan venting out my window in the middle of winter.  
i also smell the same a GASOLINE ENGINE and weird i am the only one smell it and i am also searching for an explanation and cure because its really upsetting and i don't like what I smell I am worried if it can cause a problem to my lungs

i'm just hoping somebody can help..
When we switched over to 2 Dell precision 690s the fumes from them are constantly in the air.  Mine sits under my desk and the exhaust and heat hits my face on a daily basis.  About a week ago, I began experiencing shortness of breath especially when I sat at my computer.  I've never smoked and have allergies to certain foods but never shortness of breath.   Also,  since we got these two big Dells, there's an electrical smell in the air that has permeated my office and our home. After research, I've decided to move the computer further away from me and keep a small fan running and the window open until I can get a new computer because I believe this is the problem.  No problems when away from the home.
chemtrails!!!!!
Did you ever get any answers for this? Mine just started up again when I started using my allergy spray. However I also have something very stressful going on right now. I am going to discontinue the spray and see if it goes away. I about went nuts last year! Great diet program, as I was so nauseous, I couldn't even eat!
Mine is back. 6th time in 5 years. Mine is always triggered by smelling actual exhaust from a vehicle, and then the smell stays with me for days, everywhere. But this time I did not trigger it with exhaust (as far as I know). But I was doing some painting and wonder if the chemicals present triggered it?  Also woke up pretty blocked in one nose. And I do have a broken nose (just found that out when I went to an ENT last year). He thinks it could be the issue, trapping smells somehow. Hope it goes away again. Annoying.
For about a month now I have been complaining about smelling car exhaust fumes.  After reading several of these posts I cane tell you that I wear full dentures, I live in an apartment that is about 50 feet from the parking lot.  My apartment is all electric.  There is not a smog problem where I live.  I thought I was going crazy because I kept asking other people when they were here if they could smell it and they said no.  I also read on one post that taking a seizure med would help.  We'll I take gabapebtin not foe seizures but I do take it.  All I know is it is driving me crazy.  I even try putting things like a perfumed lotion above my lip under my nose but that doesn't last very long.  As far as I know I don't have a sinus infection.  I just want it to stop.
i have this also it is definitely exhaust smell. We do not have gas appliances all electric, I am perplexed!!!! cjb
thank the gods its not only me... ive been smelling car exhuast fumes for about a week now.. in the car, in the house, at the shopping centre, in bed everywhere... hubby and the kids dont smell it..
im a non smoker, 52 take no meds.. reasonalble health but have had a cold lately....  i hate it... its driving me mad, at first i though my car was leaking fumes or something but had that checked...
im going to the dr tomorrow for a check. hopefully it will be an infection as stated above but im not counting on it, as it seems to go and come back on some people ive read... wish me luck
Wow, so many posters makes me think we can figure this out!

My situation:

Had a cold about 7 years ago that wiped out my sense of taste for about 18 months. It eventually returned but at what I would speculatively call 75% strength. And there it has remained ever since. My sense of smell throughout this period, as best I can remember, remained normal.

The exhaust smell began about 4 or 5 years ago and I don't know if it's related to the cold. My symptoms come and go and are not as noticeable when breathing fast.

I have lived in 3 places in the past 2 years and have not only smelled it in every apartment--more or less ruling out an apartment related leak--but I also smell it at work and in the car. I should mention that I'm a contract videographer and work in a different place nearly every day. So, clearly not location related.

I am 49 and take no meds for anything and apart from being a little overweight am in great health and have good cholesterol levels. Also, I did smoke for many years but haven't in about 7 years.

I'm now going to do some research on GERD, which I'm guessing many of you are, as well. I have never been diagnosed with a sinus infection, but that sure doesn't mean that I don't have one.

I'll repost when and if I learn more about my own situation.

Thanks to all the contributors!
Well, after a quick perusal of the approximately 10 or 12 symptoms of GERD, of which I have zero, I must conclude that GERD is not my problem.
I'm having the same problem. Do you all use inhalers??
This is just bizarre. I am smelling these exhaust fumes everywhere too! Initially I thought it was my central air. However, I smell it in the shower, when I am at work, in the grocery store, everywhere. So I have concluded the obvious, it's me. I do not take meds, no inhalers, no smoking, I'm not around smokers, and I don't have animals. What the heck is going on?! I called my Dr today to ask him what he thinks. I said an appt isn't necessary because how is he going to examining my sense of smell? I'm at work now, in a college, and I feel like I am sitting in a mechanics garage.
I also have been smelling an odd smell. It's hard to describe. I would say it is spicy like incense but chemical too. Burning wood also comes to mind. Let me start off my saying I do have a brain tumor. But I believe this smell is related to the AC and heater unit. I didn't smell this at the last place I lived. And her I only smell it when the AC or heater is on. Don't go diagnosing yourselves with anything. If you smell it everywhere, try using a nettie pot. If that doesn't work see a doctor. If you only smell it at home. Try airing the place out, use a nettie pot, and check if there are other explanations. If you live really close to other people all types of smells will go through the vents. I'm scared to use the a/c now and it's hot.
I'm not only smelling the exhaust fumes, but also tasting them too.  This is not the first time I've experienced this.  It seems to come and go and I'm not sure why it comes and why it goes away.  That would be helpful to know what the trigger is.  It's extremely annoying but I have to hope that it will go away on it's own like it has in the past.  If not, I have an appointment with an ENT in September just in case.  It's good to have other people to bounce ideas off of and know you're not crazy...thanks!
Sometimes when people smell something when the smell is out of place or time, such as toast in the middle of the night when the toaster is not in use, or fumes when none are present (other trusted people deny them), this phenomena can be the result of an 'uncinate fit.'  Basically, the brain is stressed for some reason and this is a response to it.  'Uncinate fits' typically occur when someone is under quite a bit of stress or has had some other metabolic stress such as a trip to the dentist or a change in medications.  Best to play it safe and speak to medical professional.  I had uncinate fits during stressful times in medical school.   Hope this helps.  PeterDPT
This is so bizarre, thought I was going crazy. I have also been smelling the exhaust and have light headedness off and on all day. I am going to bring it up next week at my physical. I have been doing some checking up on all that I have read on here to bring up to him. My prayers go out to all of you. I know what you are all feeling and am really curious on what is going on. Thank you for making me feel as if I am not the only one.
I smell exhaust fumes for a couple of days after going on an extended drive, especially if I drive on an interstate/highway, however I do not smell the exhaust while I'm in the car. I will only smell these fumes after I come home from a long drive (over an hour). My husband does not smell it at all, and neither has anyone else who has ridden with us. The smell completely fades away after 2-3 days.

It is so awful to have to smell something you simply can't control. In my case, I feel that perhaps my nasal passages somehow slowly absorb the smell of the exhaust fumes, either from my own car, or from other cars while in heavy traffic. I have never had any sinus issues and haven't broken my nose, but your ENT's theory is interesting. I now wonder if/how the smell is getting trapped in my nasal passages. I do have a very sensitive sense of smell and that could also be contributing to it.

One thing that helps is smelling fresh coffee grounds. Put the grounds in a bowl and  keep them right next to you, close enough to smell them. The smell of vinegar can also be helpful, but of course it's very strong. When the exhaust fumes smell is too much to take, I open a bottle of vinegar and slowly breathe in the smell and hold it in my nasal passages for a few seconds. This seems clear out the exhaust fumes smell faster, but then you might be stuck with a vinegar smell!
I smell exhaust fumes also. Its been going on for years with me.i too am usually in bed sleeping and awake. It's nauseating at times. I am curious to find out why also. I ask whoever I'm around if they smell it and they look at me like I'm crazy. Lol something has to cause this and I'd love to know what and why its happening.  Thank You, CB
For a moment, I thought it was all in my head. I also smell and almost kinda taste fumes. It's been happening for a few weeks. It comes and goes and happens in many different places. Glad to read of others having the same problem. It's comforting that I'm not alone in this. Will go discuss with Dr.
What did it turn out to be? I'm having the same issues
I have found that using Fluticasone Propionate nasal spray helped re-leave my symptoms greatly. I had went crazy enough to completely tear down my furnace to check the combustion chamber for leaks. Before i went on line and found this bunch of people that were going crazy with the same symptoms too (LOL). Please pass this along to the person above your posting. As it would take me for ever to post to everyone. I know they will appreciate it.
Holy crikey!  This forum is a gold mine and quite a relief.  I too have started having this phantom exhaust smell that is driving me insane.  I recently moved to Minneapolis from Salt Lake City, and I am staying in a hotel room that is near the parking lot.  At first, I attributed the smell to a car idling in the lot (it's quite cold here, and people start their cars by remote to let them warm up).  But after checking the lot for running cars multiple times over the weekend and now having the smell hit me at WORK (where there are no cars and no one else smells anything), I'm beginning to think there may be something to all this.  Fortunately, I do have insurance now and can go to see a doctor if this doesn't go away on its own; my sinuses are terrible, and I have to take a sudafed everyday to keep them clear (yes I know, my body is already "addicted" to the sudafed - been on it for 15 years now...), and my sinuses have been dry and bleeding for some time now.  I suppose it's off to the ENT for me - if I find resolution, I will post more.  Good luck everyone - thank you for making me feel sane again.
I have an observation that I think may be very IMPORTANT to many of us.  I also have had these phantom fumes and smells for over five months...and they have ranged from sickly sweet/ moldy to pungent chemical and diesel fuel/kerosene- like in odor.  Many times I have had these smells early upon waking , but the worst times have been middle of the night, where they would wake me up with a sickening start!  I had felt all along that we had mold issues in our HVAC, and over the months had an entirely new system installed, inside and out, with new ductwork, etc.  We even added the UV light, and had a major cleaning done...we are in an almost brand new home...   Guess what....the smell came back just as before.  About two weeks ago, doing research on these fumes and moldy sickening odors...I stumbled across several blogs and sites describing Phantosmia.  WOW!  A frightening realization slowly overcame me...that it has all been internal...and not external at all.  No one else ever smells the odors that I have complained about, of course.  So, the other night, to test my theory, I went to bed, and upon waking up early in the morning...checked to see if I could smell the "fumes"....  Slightly, but not overwhelming.  THEN, I made a slight depression in my pillow, and breathed into it four or five times without using my nose to breathe in...I then smelled the area slowly...and WOW!  Overpowering fumes there in the pillow...exactly of the same scent as the diesel and sickening sweet moldy smells I have had over many months.  

Here is my major take away from this  (and of course I did this little experiment about 20 times, to make sure the odor was coming OUT OF ME)........that we may not all be 'hallucinating odors' , or having some other worldly sensing type of wierd experience...but we may actually be smelling a very strange odor from our own breath!!!  Maybe coming from lungs...or abdominal/gastric areas, or sinuses.    I remember times my wife would occasionally have 'acetone' breath in the morning, and I would be amazed at how it smelled just like nail polish remover...exactly.  She could breathe at me, and it would be pure acetone. It only happened four or five times over the years. We looked it up and found this is common and is explained in medical literature as a known breath abberation.

So this leads me to this conclusion...we may ALSO be 'manufacturing' the odor that we frequently smell, and we may smell and percieve different versions of the odor, depending on our internal bodily conditions.  I do NOT know what may be producing the odor...but I do believe it is real...and we are highly sensitive to smelling it.  Try the pillow test next time you wake up to the nasty fumes.....breathe a bit of your own breath back in...and see if it is very strong and more intense.  I also had several moderate head bump situatiuons in the past year....sports related, which many claim can cause phantosmia....but I also have frequent sinus allergies  (not infection)...and this has also been implicated in the medical sites.   So, let's see if anyone else out there can determine whether their phantom smells and fumes are being 'imagined'/ hallucinated......OR rather being just plain produced by our bodies...and sensed very acutely when we breathe it in.  That is likely why it comes and goes randomly...depending on our day to day physical condition.  

I think that if people can develop 'acetone' breath, as my wife has in the past, and that itself is a very noxious smell....and is accepted as being caused by metabolic changes in an individual....then we may be producing a breath scent in a very similar manner.  We may just smell and taste our own noxious scent being produced for some unknown reason!!!!  The smell that I breathed into my pillow was the EXACT fume smell, times ten!!!  It comes from inside of ME!!!
I know what you are going through some times it's so overpowering that it stings my eyes and I start having trouble breathing.  I think that part's due to reflex and my nose is telling my brain "exhaust bad", which tells my lungs don't breath in bad air around us.
However I wonder if it isn't due to the rebuilding of of my septum; which was over 7 years ago mind you.  So this has been going on for a very long time and I notice it more with the warmer weather. I hope we can all find an answer.
Yesterday I started to smell exhaust fumes, which, for a while thought they were but ..... Not so sure now.
Off on the past two days Inhave been aware of the smell.
Bizarre and a little worrying .... An earlier post written b someone who has developed cancer - and links the condition with cancer tumours.
help
I have noticed the exhaust/ smoke fume smells recently. Its driving me
crazy, but I am curious about the Phantom Smell diagnosis I have been
reading about. I fell a couple of weeks ago and broke 3 ribs I am on
Oxycodone for pain. Phantom smells are supposed to be caused by the
brain function Im really leaning towards this. Dr. recommended  a netty
pot flush I haven't tried this yet.
3 days ago at home I smelt an intense petrol smell which left my inner nostrils stinging. This was followed by me feeling light headed & extreme nausea like never before.
Yesterday in the supermarket I experienced exactly the same smell with mild nausea.
Please advise should I just ignore this
JS
I was struggling with leg cramping at night during the first episode of smelling "exhaust".  I also have severe restless leg syndrome in which I take medication for.  My doctor prescribed a potassium supplement for the leg cramping and it has gone away as long as I keep taking the potassium.  I have has several other episodes since my first one back in 2012.  I have been diagnosed with a hiatal hernia.  One doctor said it was caused by GERD another said it was a sinus infection. I have been using St. George NANO Silver (natural antibiotic) as a nasal spray when I have a an episode and it only lasts a couple of days now. I still don't have a definitive answer as to the cause.
I have had this on and off for years and has something to do with an infection in the Olfactory gland.  This gland lives in the sinus at the top and just under the brain. A nerve runs from it to the brain so we can smell things. If an infection gets bad enough it can be dangerous.  Please make an apt and go see an Ear, Nose and throat doctor.  Hopefully they will do a culture and put you on an antibiotic or antibiotic cream to take care of it.  It also might become seasonal and you may be developing allergies even though you never had them in the past. Hope this info helps.
I am going through this right now. In fact it got bad it made me vomit!!!!
Have you found anything out ?
Let me know,
Razbarre
Thats exactly what I did…I had my husband go out and buy a filter for the furnace. Unfortunately, it didn't change anything. I don't have the heart to tell him…it didn't help!!!
GERD, Have your doctor check for gallbladder problems, or Acid reflux. They can check with an ultra sound and blood work.
Alright I have it again the smell of exhaust fumes, came and gone a year ago after a month and now it's back. I was just diagnosed with a slightly low vitamin d level, maybe this is a key. So I don't know for sure if it is that or a combination of low potassium, magnesium, or iron. Have a little tingly feeling in fingers and toes also. Drink plenty of water, never smoked never did drugs or alcohol. Age 39 Male.
Add another to the list of smelling exhaust..  Been this way for 3 days now had it last year it went away and now it's back... :'(
I also have this problem of smelling exhaust fumes, just started 4 days ago, i just saw my doctor i have thrush and now taking medicine but i also have problem with my sinus so if this does not clear up by my next visit on july 2 them he will give me something for my sinus, something has to work for this it's awful
  I started to smell car exhaust fumes a few days ago and couldn't understand why n one else can.  Then I found this forum.  Has anyone come up with an answer yet.  Am now getting very concerned in case it is something serious.
I read all the comments as I had the same issue recently. I have been having allergy issues and thought maybe it was more. So last night I took an antibiotic, night time cold and nasal spray. I slept all night and woke up with no smell. I really think this is a sinus issue. Just thought you would like to know.
I really like your response, because I don't think this is my imagination or coming from something internal inside of me.. I also have burning and stinging eyes with it...so that would tell me it is something external.. Ihave had it for many years. I had it at my old apt, too. Also, when I open the windows on a windy day and air out my apt, I feel a lot better....
Me too! What did your doc say? Now that I see that others have experienced it, I will run it by my doc... everyone was looking at me like I'm crazy :p...
Some people in the home started saying that they thought there were ghosts so it occurred to me (since it started when we moved into our new home) that perhaps I should google spirits and such... I came across and actual medical explanation... yay!
Let's hope my doc can get to the bottom of it.
I have smelled fumes like alcohol coming from my arm pits after a sexual assault that left paralyzed muscles in my vagina for 3 weeks and someone told me it was ether from some military psychopath sexually assaulting and drugging men, women and children after breaking into their homes and cars and using something that makes them forget like truth serum
Viewing 201 comments: