Allergy Community
I smell exhaust fumes all the time

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

I smell exhaust fumes all the time

I have been smelling exhaust fumes where none exist for about 2 weeks now. I can be in the shower or laying in bed and the smell won't go away, it smells like i'm in an enclosed garage with a gas powered vehicle running. Is this common?, I have never had any allergies.
Hopefully this will go away soon but if not you should see an ENT doctor (otolaryngologist).
That's odd. I've heard of people smelling burning toast or marshmallows when they have a brain tumour but not this so I doubt it is what's wrong with you but I don't know for sure just haven't heard of this. Is it always in your home you smell it as you only described laying in bed or being in the shower I assume you mean in your home if that's the case it may not be medical issues you have it could just be an odour within the home get the gas company to send a guy out they have a device that detects gas in the air. If this sounds wrong then you probably should see a doctor also try cleaning your nostrils with a flannel it sounds silly but who knows you could have an oily substance on the hairs that you only smell sometimes when there is no other odours over powering it.
Jerry, I am astounded to find your recent query because I am just about to post the SAME DAMNED THING!
Have been totally perplexed by the smell of exhaust -- like walking past an idling bus, or being in a car that's burning oil that's got its heater/ blower turned on. Day, night, lying down, sitting up, with other people around, by myself, in the car, outdoors.
My situation has been going on constantly for the past week or so, but I think it is not the first time. But now, there seems to be a bit of a throat scratch with it, so I wonder if it is a sinus infection. I have heard it may be serious to experience olfactory hallucinations, but don't want to anticipate anything worse than this is.
Would like to keep in touch, and know how you've progressed since May. Thanks, Alice1952
The condition is called phantosmia.  It is not "normal", but it is a named medical condition.

It is usually caused by  some sort of trauma or a sinus infection or other upper respiratory illness.  Tumors are another possible cause, but not always.  Exhaust is not a typical odor to experience, but burning wood is very normal. Exhaust is a close smell.  

As the first poster said, you should see an ENT to rule out any serious problems.  Few drs are familiar with this disease, so you might want to do some research and print out a few articles before you head to a dr's office.

I hope that helps you all some.  Here's to better smelling.
For the past few weeks, I have been smelling exhaust fumes, at home, at night while working on my hobby.  Now, today the odor has hit me while at work.  I don't have any sinus pain.  At home I thought it was a car outside, since the windows were open.  Another thought, some one was burning wood in a fire pit (in the neighborhood).  Now at work, 3 floors up?
I have been smelling something ever once in a while just while I'm in my house though.  I can't really describe the smell except to me it smells like charcoal.  It seems like I notice it more when I'm around my computer, but then I can also smell it in the living room and when I go to bed sometimes.  This has been going on for over a year, but I only notice it when I'm at home.  I just wander if there is some chemical in my house.  It has to be hidden somewhere, because I have used all toxic-free cleaning products and laundry products for over 15 years.  I even have an air purifier in my house.
teddilvr and alice1952 are experiencing the exact smell I do, i'll bet when they breath in fast they do not get the "exhaust smell", and while breathing in slowly it's the strongest before I've filled my lungs.. it's not burning rubber, or wood or pennies or marshmallows  (like some have reported) its definitely the smell of gasoline engine (not diesel either) exhaust, if you've ever started a car in a garage then you know exactly what we are smelling, also this happens in places other than my home. what's funny is to read forums from people that think this is nonsense or think it's just superhuman smell like a dog has, I've read about a dozen cases from all over different sites where people smell the EXACT SAME SMELL. Like I said, I've never had allergies or migraines and I doubt it's a brain tumor either this has been going on for months now...My doctor has never heard of this or had another patient with this anomaly.  Thanks for the forum to discuss this with others in the same boat I'm in.  Jerry
I just started this afternoon, having the exhaust smell, and scratchy throat. It seems that I can even taste it. I went outside to see if there was a running car sitting in front of my house.  I've never had this before and I'm not having any other issues.
Orange County, California
I thought I was crazy....lol.......I have been smelling exhaust fumes in my room for the last 2 hours and I've had a headache with a sore throat coming on and I'm very tired. I do smoke, but, have been over-sensitive to smells since my car accident Nov 2005 which caused a bad flare up of my CFS/ME. I'm afraid to sleep cuz I think there is a carbon monoxide in the house I live in. The guy who owns the house has old appliances & hasn't changed the furnace filter for 3 or 4 years, plus, the furnace he was told Oct 2006 needed to be replaced but he refused to do so. So, I don't know if my smelling exhaust fumes is sinus, tumor or actually a carbon monoxide leak. Anyone have any theories?
I smell exhaust fumes too and I'm on oxygen.  I've been wondering if an exhaust smell could be coming from it, but it's electric and makes the oxygen I breathe.  I've been smelling it for months.  Tonight I told my husband I smelled exhaust, he said he did not, I asked him to put on my oxygen to see if he could smell it, he did not smell it at all.  I don't have a sinus infection but this smell does give me a headache as if I were literally smelling automobile exhaust.  I'm glad to know it has a name, now I need to know what it is and what causes it.  I want to get rid of it, it's very "exhausting"  literally.  Couldn't resist.  We have to find a bit of humor or go nuts trying to figure out what, where etc.  Thanks for listening/reading.
These are indeed, in all likelihood, smog or car fumes from traffic outside your home at peak hours seeping in your roof, walls and through windows. You aren't imagining it. Usually sweet smells from benzene are being trapped in carpet and leather in your home. Welcome to our still oil based society.
Problem solved, The smell of exhuast fumes are from a sinus infection. I know it happened to me. The smell came up in August, then went away. Now its back and my sinuses are really acting up, enough to make an appt. with an ENT specialist.
Hi, smelling exhaust fumes or such strange smell can be present in certain conditions and it is termed as Parosmia (abhorrent odor perception).

It is usually associated with rhinosinusitis, head trauma, viral infection, or oral problems.

It frequently disappears with successful treatment of the above mentioned conditions.

Apart from treatment of the cause or in conditions wherein the cause remains unknown, in such conditions Anti seizure or anti epileptic medication like clonazepam against prescription is sometimes helpful esp. in persistent cases.

You can use scented wax or incense sticks before sleeping. You also need to maintain good sleep hygiene.

I suggest you to consult ENT specialist to rule out the cause. Take care and regards.
Dr. Rajput, Thank you for your time and consideration.  After taking a sublingual drug for 4 years my teeth started becoming brittle and breaking off at the gumline, I also had a good case of gingivitis.  I ended up having all my teeth pulled and now I'm wearing dentures.  Ever since my oral surgury 3 months ago the smell has gone away, I think I agree with you when you mentioned "oral problems". I am amazed with the human body and the things that the brain can interpret causing different senses to be affected.  Again, I appreciate your time and if you ever decide to set up a practice in the Los Angeles California area you've definitly got another patient.....Jerry M.
Well, it's good to know I'm not crazy, I've been having this exhaust smell now for about nine months.  People have told me it might be due to my thyroid being messed up but my thyroid levels are normal with the thyroid meds I'm on.  I can't get rid of the smell and sometimes I do have sinus pain.  This smell is constant, at home, work, all day, all night and to the point it's giving me a headache almost constantly. I'm going to definitely ask my doctor if she's heard of this disease although when I explained it to her, she said there was nothing wrong and that it was odd that I would be having this smell of exhaust.  And no it's not burning wood, marshmallows, coal, whatever....it's like a put a cars exhaust pipe in my nose and I'm sniffing the fumes.  Horrible! Thank you all for posting!
THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT i HAVE BEEN SMELLING  SINCE YOURS WAS A MONTH AGO WHAT HAS THE DR SAID IF YOU WENT sorry it was in caps  please let me know an thank you I thought it was just me  ***@****
Wow, I started smelling exhaust fumes a couple of months ago and I thought it was my van. Then it was in my car, and then I started smelling it in the house and in odd places like a restaurant. I just decided to google it and came upon this forum. Glad to know I'm not going crazy but I have no other symptoms like a sinus infection, headaches or sore throat. Did have a couple of migraines recently (vision problems) which rarely occur otherwise. I'm due for a physical and I'll get it checked at that time.
Well, I have had the same phantom smell of gas exhaust fumes for the last 3 to 4 months At first I thought it was neighborhood gardener's gas blowers but then I started experiencing it at night when no gardeners were around. What I can say for sure is it is not related to an older home, carbon monoxide, older appliancesa gas leak etc....because I moved 2 months ago with all new appliances and I still am experiencing the smell. It is not constant but intermittant and seems to be worse at night. Like someone commented in an earlier post if I breathe in very quickly through my nose I don't smell it and I don't smell it for maybe for a minute or two afterwards even breathing thru my nose but it returns within several minutes. I'm in my early 50's and not prone to allergies, but as I age I'm continually surprised by sensations etc. In my body that I was never aware of before...signs of wear. I don't smoke and don't have a history of headaches or migraines.  I am curious to learn from other posters if this phenom iis just happening to those of us who are middle age or if younger people are experiencing it...and if anyone remembers its onset as coming after a bad headcold or
sinusitis?  It helps to know I'm not alone...or a wacko!
Wow - thank you i'm not wierd.  Thought I was going a bit loopy.  I've been experiencing this "exhaust fume" odour for the last week or so now.  I've had no illness recently, though i'm wondering if its to do with lack of sleep.  I'm a freight train driver and have been working some strange shifts in the middle of the night for the last 10days or so now.  With family at home its always hard to get a decent unbroken sleep.  So i'm averaging about 5hrs a day or so.  Though i've had times like this before with that kind of sleep pattern and can never recall this odour.  I have 6 days off soon so i wonder with a proper sleep over a few nights if this will go away.  I shall keep you informed.   Singforsupper i have just turned 35
Wow, unbelievable this many experiencing the same phantom exhaust fumes smell ... Me > Just as if  I started my car in the garage with the door down and laid down right next to the exhaust pipe!  Sometimes it's like I went ahead and stuck my whole nose in the flipping pipe! Everywhere I go! For at least 2 days now ... and nope, never had allergies..., nope, haven't had a cold in at least a year ... nope, never had a sinus infection ... nope, no dental issues (that I'm aware of) ... nope, don't live near a lot of traffic (besides, that wouldn't explain the fumes following me everywhere I go.... like a 30 story office building ... the gym ... mountains hiking, shower etc)  and nope, no one else around me smells a thing!!  

Haven't had a sore throat or burning eyes, or any other pain yet, but definitely have headaches (which I thought was due to vision tension or stress), still I've only taken aspirin to help.  Haven't taken antibiotics in yrs.  Eat yogurt every morning.  I DO take Wellbutrin daily and have for over 15 yrs.  I also take Staterra daily for approx 4 yrs now.  Never experienced anything like this before!!  Also, I've had no strange tastes yet.  

Everything else seems normal .... all with the exception of this freakin' "Ghost exhaust" that follows me everywhere.  Oh, except I DO have a slight tingling going on in my left arm on occasion, which I always attributed to a bad snowboarding wipeout a few yrs back, when I injured some left shoulder ligaments.  If it doesn't go away in a few days, I guess I'll have to call my Dr. but NOT looking forward to THAT at all, as I usually wait 'til I'm at least half dead before I call her!  Still, this is almost unbearable, and its only been a few days for me.... can't imagine how you who've been going through this for yrs are dealing with this... OMG just thinking about it is nausiating.  I'll check in to see if there's any news on this in a week or so.  
Until then, take care my fellow lightheads.

Perplexed-Lightheaded-And-Not-In-That-One-Way <<(PLANITOW)
:/
ps ...Fem/40's/athletic/mom of one/living in NoCal
I smell exhaust fumes too! 04/03/11

I have been smelling exhaust smell for the past 3 to 4 weeks as well, and it's not just my house. I did go to my doctor and I do have sinusitis so he prescribed me antibiotics. I didn't mention it to my doctor at the time because I simply forgot. Now, I am hoping that it does go away once I get better. I will keep you posted.

I just started smelling fumes a few days ago while staying in a hotel. It smelled like a gallon of gas was poured all over the room. I can even taste it.  I showered, put all of my clothes, shoes and everything in the car and I still smelled it. I called the front desk and and had someone come and check the room and they said they didn't smell anything. I thought I was going crazy or something. I hate that some of you have this symptom but I'm glad I'm hearing that other people have had this happen. I go to the doctor Friday and I'll post what he says.
I (39) have the same since 3 weeks. Do you think it will ever end?
I have smelled exhaust fumes off and on for a couple of years now. Sometimes i smell it for weeks and weeks then it just disappears only to return a few months later. Has anyone had feed back from their doctor or been successfully treated for it? I mentioned it to my doc while I was there for something else and she looked at me like I was schizophrenic and went on with the other thing we were discussing. I would love to hear from someone who has had it diagnosed and treated. Thanks!
I thought the horrible exhaust smell was coming from my shoes. But I smell it in the car, in the office and sometimes in bed. I can't figure it out. I'm sorry there are so many of us, but glad I am not alone. I am always afraid it is me and everyone can smell the exhaust coming from me somehow. No one ever complains and I am too afraid to ask. I wear too much perfume to try to cover this smell. I always thought it was me, not just in my nose... thanks all.
I just started smelling exhaust fumes yesterday.  No matter where I am the smell is like I am standing in the garage with my car running.  I can't sleep because of the smell, and it lead me to look online to see if anyone else is experiencing this type of smell.  
   Nine months ago I had my first experience with the exhaust smell. Had a MRI and it was ok. No explanation from my medical Dr. or the neurologist. The symtom lasted about 8 days. Now for the last 3 days I've smelled the exhaust again. I would like to know what causes it or better yet how to get rid of it. This is very strange. I was surprised to see so many posts about the same thing. I wish this would go away.

I have the same experience! I am 66 and experience migraines infrequently. But don't have smell issues with the migraines. I have been smelling these car exhaust fumes intermittently since last week, when the lawn people used one of those gas powered leaf blowers near my open window. I thought the fumes had stayed around or were in my clothes, but it's been too long now. I started worrying about the furnace putting out hurtful fumes. It is gas fired forced air. I will have the gas company out tomorrow just to check, but from reading about all you other people with this experience, I'm pretty sure it's not the furnace. I will be seeing the dentist in a few weeks for a cleaning. Will ask him.
I have been having the same problem with smelling exhaust fumes much of the time.  It happened the first time at home on a sunday afternoon and I attributed it to someones lawn mower though my husband could not detect the odor.  I have now been smelling it at work also but no one else smells anything out of the ordinary.  I have had sinus problems before but never anything like this.  
Any new development since your last post? I'm having this same issue- the smell is very familiar to me as I was once an automotive emissions tech- the smell seems very strong with normal breathing but I don't smell it when I try to take a deep breath- this is really annoying!
I was exposed to burning rubber with my saw as I was cutting up rubber mats for a trailer. It's been 3 days now and I still smell it it's coming from my breath my lungs I think. Also my stools are dark and runny. Smells like burnt rubber I think I have some type of poising going on anyone??
Add another one to this list. Exhaust smell all of the time, stronger when breathing in slow. This just started to me a few days ago and I wonder if it really is due to an exhaust leak. My theory is that if I get enough exposure to an exhaust leak that I may not smell at first because it is a minor leak, it builds up in the sinuses until it permeates your whole sinus cavity. I think it builds up to the point that it seems the smell is there constantly. I am going to try a sinus cleanser to see if that helps. I am also going to have a mechanic check to see if I do have any exhaust leaks. I believe mechanics have a CO detector that can check for leaks. I will also have them check to see if it is getting into the vehicle. If I have any luck I will repost.
I have had the exhaust smell on and off for about 2 months, not very strong but still there. It seems very common so there must be a reason. I have not had any colds or sinus issues. Will speak and ask doc nxt time I am there. Would love to know what this is and means.
I've been reading the posts about smelling an exhaust odor, which I have as well, then started reading the posts about smelling cigarette smoke where no one is smoking, which I was experiencing before it became the exhaust odor. Then I was in a car wreck where the air bags deployed and, after several weeks of noticing no unusual odors, suddenly started smelling car exhaust odors. I also have to say that it is not detectable when I breathe in deeply and swiftly. I honestly thought there was a generator running at the barn down the hill but there is no such thing. No one else in the house smells the odors I do. It seems quite strange to me that so many other people are experiencing this very phenomenon. Anyone into conspiracy theories have a scenario that could explain this seemingly widespread affliction???
I started smelling exhaust fumes in July 2011 while I was studying for a final.  It started slow and by day 3 it was unbelievable.  No one understands when you say you smell exhaust. So this smell lasted two weeks then started to go away and only coming and going for a few months.  

I kinda saw a pattern that when I was feeling stress the smell would come back and then leave again - could be a minute could be a few days - but I am was not 100%.  

I had an Appointment with a neurologist who said it is nothing that he has heard of and when I mentioned parosmia etc (that were mentioned above) he said those were symptoms not a disease and that he had heard of.. He also said of coarse it is olfactory hallucinations, you are smelling something that is not there.  So ya - I guess we are all having hallucinations - it sounds bad but we are.

So In the last little while I have been having immense stress and low and behold there is that smell again - BUT IT IS CHANGING - so I now have exhaust smell for when I have incredible stressful situations and then there are a few other smells not as bad that come and go.  I can tell now when I am smelling something that is not there.  

I am not 100% that it is caused by stress or my body's reaction.  I would love to hear if anyone has heard of what this is so I can bring it to a health care professional and get something done.  I do have an MRI booked for January and I have requested a referral to an ENT specialist, and I am also considering asking for a referral to an endocrinologist...  Any info anyone can share would be wonderful!!! I am fed up with it!!! :(
I have this exhaust smell again and have had it before. Found a forum that said it was almost always cleared up by correcting freon leaks in the air conditioning system. We had that checked and it was low on freon. The smell went away almost immediately, but now it is middle of winter and I smell it again really strong. I suspect messed up sinuses due to extreme dry air that comes with running the forced air heat all the time. They are bone dry in the morning and kind of irritated all the time. That may be the cause. But, I got up this morning and didn't smell it until I was up about an hour and had turned the computer on. I usually smell it the strongest when at the computer, which is about 6 years old. It also sits right in front of a chimney that has two vents on it for the heat to come out from the fireplace in the basement which we do not use.  But, I smell it in the cars and sometimes a little when in other homes or stores.  But strongest in our home which is full of old carpet, paneling, wallpaper from 80 years ago, probably!  My conclusion is the sinuses are dry and inflamed and magnifying pollutants and odors we do not normally smell, or manufacturing a smell of exhaust. One or the other.  It is funny that we all smell the same odor of exhaust.  In the past I have had the gas company and fire dept out to test the air and it is not carbon monoxide.  We also have a detector (which EVERYONE SHOULD HAVE.  Had one in my mom's senior apt and it went off and we found she had a plugged up furnace, blocked by soot, not burning properly and spewing co back into the apt. It is more common than people realize and causes memory loss which no one questions in a complex for seniors. Surprise, surprise, she had a rare kind of memory loss, begun in her area of speech processing, which got better in the Spring when not running the furnace). Maybe it is all these things or the computer odors and fumes. We have lots of indoor pollutants.  I don't notice it outdoors this time, or in other homes or buildings, except for a hint of it now and then.  Smells get up in your sinuses, as I am sure you have all found at one time or another, like strong perfume, skunk smell, etc. and just stay there a while.  Get a humidifier and turn off the pc and tv's more, check out teeth and sinuses.  I also need to go to a dentist and probably have a tooth pulled but have no income or insurance right now.  The breathing in fast and deep does help which seems to mean it is in us, not our environment. Probably just dry or irritated sinuses.  I know from working in a pvc factory once, that it doesn't take much to irritate the heck out of our sinuses, causing burning, sensitivity, etc. If you use a sinus rinse, which feels great, be sure to use distilled water to avoid the brain eating amoeba found in some tap water. This killed at least two people in Louisianna recently who used a sinus rinse with tap water.  Good luck and let us know what works for any of you. I live in Kansas.
Humidifier ended the smell for me. I have had this before, when just beginning to run the AC and recently when using the heat all the time in Winter.  My nasal passages get bone dry due to the constant heat.  I have been smelling the exhaust smell for about a week.  I also have been rubbing some castor oil in my nose at night to lubricate it.  Last night we ran a small humidifier full blast with distilled water, after a thorough vaccuming.  This morning I don't smell that exhaust smell.  Hopefully it won't come back. I think my nasal passages were just too dry and swollen due to extreme dry air.  They were a little sore, too, and sore nasal passages make all smells stronger.  Try the humidifier and some lubricant for your nose, like a sinus wash followed by the nasal jelly by Little Noses.
I'm Happy to know I've not lost my mind. I have been smelling exhaust fumes for about 2 months. I thought it was my mobile home, then I left and moved into my motor home and still I smell it, thought maybe my heater in there, or someplace close too me, like a neighbor, then I leave California and still smell it. Now I'm in Kansas and Still smell it. I was happy too find this forum of others like me. I don't have insurance so going to a doctor who wants too do a battery of test just can't happen. I will try some of the suggestion and pray it work's.

Thank you all for the posting's I will keep watching.
Im sitting here smelling exhaust fumes as I type this.Ive had this for at least 4 years off and on, now that I know there are others suffering from this, Im gonna print out this page and make a dr appt
Wow. I too have been having this weird "exhaust" smell for a while. I searched and found this and was surprised to see so many people experiencing the same thing. I work in the service department at a car dealership, so I get fumes from the shop a lot during the day. I kind of just figured it was from that. But it's strange that I notice it when I am home. I have never  had allergy or sinus problems so I wouldn't think it was that. Very strange. I will follow this subject. Curious to see if anyone gets an answer. I'll ask my Dr. about it at next check up. I can tell him now, I'm not crazy!
I too have been smelling exaust... everywhere I go, for several weeks. I know that my sinuses are dry because I use a CPAP machine for sleep apnea. But I'm going to see my doctor.
Alice, I was surfing the web when I found your post. I have been smelling a smell like exhaust or gasoline, like when someone has been working on a carburator in a car. I smell it at home, when I'm in stores shopping, any where I go, I smell that smell, and it's driving me wacko!
I was surfing the web when I found this site and all the posts. I have been smelling a smell like exhaust or gasoline, like when someone has been working on a carburator in a car. I smell it at home, when I'm in stores shopping, any where I go, I smell that smell, and it's driving me wacko!  This has been going on for over a month. I plan to ask my Dr. about it and hope she doesn't think I'm a nut case, but the smell is really bugging me!
I've been smelling it on cold days, and so has my daughter. We're getting headaches. When we turn off the air exchanger, which blows outside air in we get some relief. It could be from all the propane fireplaces in the neighborhood. They should be banned.
This has been happening to me off and on for a few years now, just like the rest of you i thought i was going crazy..it started back up a few days ago and is still present right now, my eyes even start to water and burn like the fumes are real, i can't hardly stand it anymore..

So for everyone else know you're not suffering alone and you're NOT crazy

Much love

Jen
so I am on day 3 of smelling the exhaust .  Can you let me know what your cure was?  Please say there was a cure!
  Hello, please tell me how you cured this awful condition!!  I am on day 3!!
I'm 55 yrs old and had several episodes of this problem last year, each lasting several weeks. Seems to clear up of its own accord but now its back and I'd like to find a way to speed up its departure.
As others have said it is a very specific smell of exhaust fumes ... extremely acrid at times to the point where it can make my eyes water. Horrible when I go to eat something and get a whiff of exhaust as I put the food in my mouth. I have found that I can spray perfume and smell it ok if I put my wrist right under my nostrils ... but as soon as I go back to normal breathing the exhaust smell is back. This is all hours of the day/evening, and in different places, inside/outside, home, work ... and no one else around me can smell it.
It is a comfort to find others going through the same thing.
I started having the same problem about 2 weeks ago.  No matter where I am, I smell what I couldn't pin a name to until you described it as exhaust fumes.  It's driving me crazy!
All I can say is ...  THANK GOD I AM NOT CRAZY.
I smell burning rubber, cigarette smoke too....
wow, thank god I really thought i was nuts i keep having my kids and husband stand in the exact area that im standing in to see if they can smell what im smelling and they think im absolutley nuts ..I make them smell everywhere..and nothing. this was going on for about 6 months a year ago and now its back again. and my whole family said "Oh god we remember this, she's gonna make us smell evrything again"!!!Because yes people its back.I dont know how it went away,,,it just did and i was thankful
another thing, I have a rash on my face and palm of hands..not sure if its connected but it all came back at the very same time..
I,too, have been having the phantom exhaust smells at random times that may last a day or may last,as this bout has, for a week and counting...and I also have had my family smelling everything. Had no idea there were others out there like me but as someone said before I googled and here we are. I'm going to check with my primary physician about this and see what he says bout the sinus infection thing. I've also had times that I smell a public restroom??? Anyone else with that one?
This is strange to read all this i took a random shot at asking this question.I started yesterday with the strong smell of exhaust Like coming from a truck,at home also when I was at work today,also had a headache yesterday and today with a sore throat.I am sick of smelling this.I have never had any trouble with allergies and rarely get headaches.This is strange
It seems I'm not the only one! I thought I was being haunted or going crazy! Have you gone for your MRI? What was the outcome?
I have had the exhaust smell for about two weeks. I drive a school bus and swore to my boss it was leaking diesel exhaust. It is not, but when I get home at night I shower, wash my hair, brush teeth, and it is there all night long. To the point I can't sleep any more. I felt like I was losing my mind until I ran across these posts.
I to have the smell of exhaust and it is the worst when I watch tv or sit by the computer, however, I smell it in the car, and stores as well.  I was sure that something must be burning and even took the computer apart, felt the walls and call my husband all the time to please smell what I smell.  THANK YOU FOR LETTING ME KNOW I AM NOT CRAZY!!  IF ANYONE FINDS A REASON FOR THIS PLEASE SHARE
Wow took a long shot posting the question cause I thought I was going nuts, been smelling exhaust fumes on and off for a week now when no one else can. Will go to the doctor to follow up,  i did have a really bad sinus infection over Easter which took three courses of antibiotics to clear. They weren't back to normal so who knows
Same here. I thought I was going crazy!! It smells like the exhaust from a City Bus to me. I have been smelling it for weeks now. What can you do to make it stop???
Used my nettie pot every night for a week and thought I solved the problem as the smell left. Stopped doing the netting and it is back stronger than ever. It is like bus exhaust or mowing equipment and now I taste it too!
I have been smelling these exhaust fumes for weeks. I live in a trailer and I have been checking plumbing vents and waste pipe venting for cracks. I live about 500 yds behind a large gas station and get the smells randomly all day and thought it was coming from my air vents.In my case I do have some sinus and allery problems in the past along with suffering from a head injury from 3 years ago on a motorcycle. I go outside on my porch and smell nothing. I to have been asking family members if they smell these fume but to no avail.As I am writing this now my head is pounding. It does go away when I breathe in sharply very quickly. I smell it the most whem I'm in my bedroom with 2 computers running all the time. I have read everyone of these post and the only thing I see in common is the computers in the bedroom. Is their any one else with the sytoms around computers? OH, I also rinse my sinus every other day even sometimes twice a day but it does not stop the exhaust smells.Will check back for more comments.
We tore out our powder room to remodel it near the front door of our house. We capped off the drain where the toilet will eventually go back on. We sanded walls and tore up tile and the glue that was on the floor and walls. Now whenever you walk in the front door of the house, people remark that it smells like Exhaust fumes. Not gas, but exhaust. I smelled it, and strangers smell it too. I dont smell it anywhere else. We do not have any gas appliances. I dont feel light headed or have any symptoms, and I am a very SENSITIVE person. I will call the AC guy today to see if there is something wrong with our freeon on our NEW AC UNIT from 2 years ago, but only because I read something to this effect on this blog. We have lived in this house for 3.5 years. It had roof leaks that were fixed. Cannot figure out what it is. Only seems to be near the front door when you first walk in. We are at the dead end of a cul de sac but smell occurs even when there are no cars running outside.
If you read the thread you find suggestions for what could cause it.  Common seem sinus infections, oral (teeth) problems, etc.  
I experienced this for the first time about 6 years ago.  A day or two before it happened, I was burning about 50 copies of a CD, which does cause a slight burning smell in the house, so I wondered if this triggered it.  It lasted about 5 days.

Since then, it's happened 4 or 5 times, each time lasting for a few days.  The latest time was 3 days ago - I was in the car with my husband, there was a bus idling in front of us, and I smelled exhaust.  Not sure if this is what triggered it, but it certainly seems likely.  It's worse when I'm sitting or lying down.  When I'm outside, I don't smell it at all!

If past experience is an indicator, I should be ok in a couple of days.  Last week I had my teeth cleaned, as I do 3 times a year.  I do have gingivitis, which is why I go for frequent cleanings.  But I never noticed this after previous cleanings.

What does work for me at night, so I can fall asleep:  I take a bit of Vicks Vaporub and apply it to the outside and inside of my nostrils.  Works like a charm.  During the day at work, I spray a tissue with light scent body spray and discreetly raise it to my nose now and then, like Scarlett O'Hara.  LOL

Haven't been to an ENT.  It always goes away before I get a chance to make an appointment.
hey jerry i thought i was reading something that i had written myself.For a month now i have been smelling exaust everywhere,even in a hospital setting,,so i definitly know what you are talking about.the only other thing i can think of is that for four or five years prior to the exaust fume smell i could smell something that was sweet. or like you've handled a bunch of pennies and then touched your tongue.Its hard to explain and sounds totally nuts.I did have deviated septum surgery a couple of years ago and can't smell most anything unless its touching my nose'
SOUNDS LIKE your computer battery is dead and leaking when it heats up.  Replace it.
I am thinking from all the research I have done on this so far it may be fungal/fungus in the sinuses. I just starting working out in the gym which has a steam room and the smell seems to get stronger on the right side.Also the smell of coffee brings it out as well (strong exhaust smell). Hopefully antifungals will cure this for us. I am starting Apple cider vinegar with orange juice. I also do a nasal flush with Grapefruit extract. The idea is to change the fungi environment so that it does not support it.

Best of luck to all and please give any input that leads to a solution albiet from your ENT etc.
Thanks to all!!
I thought I was going crazy. I am experiencing the same exhaust smell. This has been going on for 2 weeks. I thought it was in my house although no one else smells it. I went to the lake for 2 days and still smelled it. The is driving me crazy. I need it to go away.
All of this odor sensitivity and odor retention is a result of being exposed to toxic mold, at home or in the workplace.  
You're not going crazy.

I have been smelling gas fumes also.  I live in an area where there are many cars, lots of standstill traffic near my building, and it's the hot summertime.  I believe the fumes come into my apt. through the cracks in the building (it's a very old building, hardly ever fixed).  The fumes even come in through the air-conditioners I have.  Then the fumes stay in my nose for a while, probably because I have allergies.  

Additionally, I think someone upstairs may be trying to fix their motorcycle and trying to hide it.  I know it's gas fumes, because some years ago, I smelled it and the guy downstairs finally admitted he was running a small truck inside the building.   But people will tend to lie to cover it up, because they know they are not supposed to run an engine inside a building, and they are afraid they will get in trouble.

You're not going crazy.

Multiple chemical sensitivity or mold exposure will cause you to pick up on even the most minute traces of odors.
You are correct in your observations and assumption.  One of the effects of mold exposure/spore inhalation is smell sensitivity; highly increased.

Coffee, for example carries a very strong pungent odor for mold exposed people.  This is because the beans get moldy in storage after picking and before roasting.  The roasting temperature will not kill mold, it takes a temperature of 1,500 degrees to do that for many molds.  Mold sensitized people are extremely sensitive to smelling any items that are molded,  I can smell coffee brewing from 50 feet away.

Pungent chemical odors like car exhaust are magnified exponentially in the mind of a mold effected person and tend to linger for a long time.

I am a person with mold illness which led to extreme multi-chemical sensitivity.

When I step out on a cold winter day, once snow has covered everything, I am driven crazy by the latent odor of car exhaust everywhere because all other odors like flowers,trees, grass etc. are not around.  Just crisp smelling air and auto exhaust.
I smell stuff all the time its not my sinus as i thought its from the chem trails they Spray every day and night ..and it comes in through my air cond ..gives me and many thousands allergies ...look it up
Me too-exhaust. I thought I was losing it!! This just stumps me. It wakes me up at night. Could it be some kind of acid reflux i wonder! Glad to know I am not alone! Pam Nix
I too have been smelling gas fumes for the last 5 days. It is so strong I find myself actually crying about it. Hard to concentrate on anything because it is so strong. I'm happy I found this thread but disappointed as no one ever returns with additional information. Or I would also like to hear some other things we all do that are common. I for one do use a computer, a laptop that's new and it seems the strongest when I am sitting in front of it or sitting watching tv. I drink coffee everyday and I do have dry sinus's but not to the point it bothers me. I do have adnoid (adenoid) problems under the jaw and had some removed from my neck about 6 years ago. Do you know that feeling you get when you bite into something very sour or very rich and you get that sensation in the back of the jaw? Well I get that sometimes only 100 times worse out of no where and if feels like my jaw is locked up. Outside of this I was really sick at the beginning of this year with 2 colds back to back. 7 months later I still have horrible mucus from it. I smoke and I breathe through my mouth, yes my lungs are bad. I am 43 and have no insurance. I also have teeth problems, brittle breaking but I brush them everyday. I even thought maybe I was being haunted lol I am so frustrated with it, thought about calling the gas company as we do run off gas heat in an apt. but no one else can smell it but me. Also about 2 months ago I smelled a very bad odor almost like a dead body for a week or two and chalked it up to maybe a dead cat as they roam and sleep under our apt. patio area. It went away but now it's gas. It almost smells like having a car running backed up close to my face only take the "dirty" smell out of it...just smells like clean burning gas if there is sucha  thing. I wish like most of you it would stop. I would even take the dead body smell over this as it makes me feel like I am choking on real gas. ALMOST like torture. I will do the aroma therapy as some have suggested, create better smells but either I suddenly have K9 senses or I am very ill and do not realize it.
Wow!  I have been smelling an exhaust smell for about a week now.  I have described the smell to my family as smelling just like "exhaust" but not diesel.  It is driving me crazy.  I have headaches and can't sleep because it is so strong.  I have even lost my appetite. They all think I am nuts.  My husband tells me it is impossible because we don't have natural gas in our town and very few people have propane.  We use all electric appliances and  AC unit. I live in a rural desert community where it is very hot and dry in the summer.  I smell it especially strong while the AC is running or just shuts off.  Someone mentioned a Freon leak.  Was that a confirmed cause?  I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and am on a lot of medication but have been for over 20 years and have never experienced this before.  The only change is that I was recently bitten by an unknown spider or insect and had to spend the afternoon in the ER because of an extreme reaction.  I was given an IV antibiotic and then prescribed Ciprofloxacin and Clindamycin for 10 days.  I started getting the smell after I started on the antibiotics.  I don't know if this has anything to do with it or not.  Just thought I would mention it.  It seems that so many people have experienced this but no one is returning to this discussion with answers they have gotten from their doctors.  Please follow up fellow sufferers!  
I saw my physician yesterday.  He told me that the most common cause of the exhaust smell is from GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease).  It is especially severe when combined with sleep apnea.  He said that the smell is stronger when I am relaxed and doing things like reading, sitting at the computer, sleeping, etc because I am taking shallower breaths through my nose with my mouth closed.  This allows the "exhaust" concentration to be stronger. I have noticed that it isn't as strong when I am talking or walking around doing things.  He suggested a scope to check the esophagus and may require a biopsy and surgery.  I'm wondering if the antibiotics that I took for the last 10 days contributed to this because I was struggling with reflux while I was taking them.  I think I will wait for a couple of weeks to see if it goes away before I continue with tests.  

He also said that it could be problems with my gallbladder and it's effect on my liver.  This would require an ultrasound.  However, I didn't feel any pain when he pressed on my gallbladder and my blood tests did not show any irregularities with my liver so he figured it was probably the GERD issue.  If I hadn't discovered that other people were experiencing the same problem, I don't know that I would have gone to see my doctor.  Thanks everyone!
Me too. About five years ago I had this and figured it to be from riding a motorcycle. It lasted a few days but now it's back and I don't ride anymore. Been a few days already and I do notice frequent mild headaches and a scratchy throat. I'm kinda worried because a couple years ago I had a scope procedure done in my throat and they said I should have it rechecked in a year because they found precancerous cells. I think I'll make that appointment now. I'll check back on you all and give an update. Good luck all.
I found something you should all read. Search using the Wikipedia.org and search for "Phantasmia". Lots of insight there. Good luck all.
I have experienced the same thing as all of you.  I read on another forum that it is a Vitamin deficiency possibly Vitamin B.  I've had this happen to me before and eventually it goes away but this time I just can't stand it so did some research and found the two things that are common with me, thyroid changes and vitamin B deficiency.  I've started a new thyroid dosage and I'm taking B supplements so it will be interesting to see if that helps.  Just curious but is anybody having a lot of nocturnal leg cramping too?
So happy to know I'm not experiencing this exhaust smell myself....It started a few months ago and it seems to be getting worse. I do work 32 hours on the week-ends as a Nurses Aide and go to school 4 days a week, persuing my nursing degree....It usually happens when I'm at the computer, lying down, in class or watching TV....I get sinus infections a few times every year, have hypothyroidism, but never experienced this smell before.
I know alot of you say it is due to stress and sinus infections, but why all of a sudden after 40 years it happens? I will be seeing my Doc in a few weeks and will have this checked out...will let everyone know what the out come is....Good Luck to everyone
Hi all. Don't want to scare anyone, but I would look at your general health. I have had this condition on and off for years.I believe my body actually gives off the smell although my husband doesn't smell it. I think it occurs when I have a tumour somewhere in my body. ( I had an in situ cancerous lump removed from my breast 30 years ago and 2 years ago I had a breast removed and now I have been diagnosed with endometrial cancer. The smell came back this week. Just when I thought all the natural remedies were working.
I know there are dogs that can smell cancer.
Thank god I found this forum . This is my second episode and it is driving me nuts. I smell exhausts at home , at work in my office .  I thought I was going mad . I am smelling it as I write this . No way am I going to the doctor with this , he'll think I'm nuts .
Ive been having this exact same problem with smelling exhaust fumes, for over 1yr now off and on, each time it last a couple weeks or more,  I thought it was because of the oil heat burner in the house at first, but I smell it every where I go, even tonight at the movies, its terrible! AND NO one else smells it!!! Ive asked my kids and friends and NO one smells it! Im at a lost, I cough sometimes when it is very strong smelling and it makes me feel sick to my stomach and have headaches, these symptoms maybe  psychosomatic if there is no real fumes and is due to some disorder, or imbalance in my body... most of these answers were a year ago... Does anyone know the answer?  THXXX
Ive been having this exact same problem with smelling exhaust fumes, for over 1yr now off and on, each time it last a couple weeks or more,  I thought it was because of the oil heat burner in the house at first, but I smell it every where I go, even tonight at the movies, its terrible! AND NO one else smells it!!! Ive asked my kids and friends and NO one smells it! Im at a lost, I cough sometimes when it is very strong smelling and it makes me feel sick to my stomach and have headaches, these symptoms maybe  psychosomatic if there is no real fumes and is due to some disorder, or imbalance in my body... most of these answers were a year ago... Does anyone know the answer?
hey I do have sleep apnea,  but no GERD that Im aware of, that is the only thing I find from your dr. answer that is all.

there has to be a solid answer to this phenomenon we are all experiencing, maybe aliens have land and are altering the atmosphere and have taken over out family and friends bodies and they are keeping us in the dark of their real plan... Just kidding but at least that would be an easy answer :)  
I have been experiencing this horrible exhaust fume smell in my house for about a year now.  I have burning eyes and it hurts my throat, but it isn't a constant smell..it comes and goes, but it is a daily / nightly event, lasting anywhere from minutes to several hours.  No one else seems to smell it. I do not have an AC or heating unit in my house.  I have a gas stove and the water heater is in the garage about 50 feet from my house.  I have a plug in heater that I use when the weather is cold and plain old window fans when it is too hot.  It isn't an oral infection, I wear dentures, and my doctor says I have no infections at all.  So even though many people may be experiencing some broken thing in their AC units, or gas leaks, or phantosmia, or sinus infections, I am not having those issues, yet I still smell the exhaust smell and it is miserable and I don't know what to do.  :(
I have had this exhaust smell off and on for over a year as well.  It went away for a while but its back.  I just had an oral surgery in early October and I thought maybe the need to take care of that was the problem. I do have allergies and I take a one a day allergy pill for that.  I am perplexed but I sure feel better knowing I am not the only one.  
I was in a fire at work on thanksgiving day and was pnr of the last to get out of building cuz people wouldn't  put down their items and leave needless to say it was very smokey by the time we got out the issue now is all i smell is car exhaust fumes and a headache  should I  be concern
Maybe you should be.  You may want to do a little research on an acquired illness called MCS; multiple chemical sensitivity.

It is a real disorder and I know because I suffer from it.

Odor sensitivity and related physical symptoms is part of it.

There is a website forum called 'planet thrive' which you may want to sign up to and that is a good place to start.

FYI; also there have been a lot of rescue workers from the 911 disaster that ended up with mcs.

There are various triggers for mcs depending on the individual.
I have had the exact same problem for months and maybe over a yr. It dawned on me a cpl months ago that my car is old and the exhaust may very well have a leak. It didn't rumble or make noise in any way so my husband never gave it much thought. But when he checked it for me there was a leak directly under my seat.
I live Down Under, so the seasonal use of heaters and aircon is reversed. Last January I started smelling the smell of "a dirty old mechanic's garage on a hot day" (years ago I worked Saturdays all summer in such an environment, that was the only way I could describe it). I noticed it worst when I was at my computer. By the time the problem was detected I was sleeping in my car, afraid to go to sleep in the house. I had had the aircon on 24/7 because the (landlord's) fridge was struggling, landlord was on a month's vacay at the time. I stopped using all appliances, disconnected the gas, you name it, the fumes never went away. It turned out that the aircon had busted its gut from overwork and was overheating and frying the engine lubricant. When the aircon was off, the burned grease fumes were being blown in by the breeze. I taped 2 layers of heavy-duty plastic over the aircon unit and the problem disappeared. The computer is about 6 feet from the (very old) ac unit.

Then 3 months later, a different smell, at first it smelled like ozone or chlorine, then it smelled of dirty old car exhaust (I drive a very old car, am familiar with that smell). Once again, I suspected the computer. Tech tells me not possible. Fair enough. I notice the electric radiator seems to provoke fumes. Months go by, I get sicker and sicker, pain in my chest, arrhythmia, asthma all the time. Again I switch off all appliances, heating, gas, etc to eliminate culprit. No change to fumes. After 5 months I'm a bit beside myself. I put the computer (still giving off fumes) in another room but to use the internet I need a long phone cable across an open doorway. Naturally, I trip over it, pull the phone wires right out of the wall and living in the country have to wait a couple of weeks for someone to come and re-connect the phone. Having no internet I have to watch TV on the actual TV in the living room instead of the net (awful reception in the bush) . The living area had been sealed off from the "fumy" side of the house for months, so imagine my shock when after half an hour of TV the TV starts to give off fumes!! I ran to the library to google all of these symptoms. It was the refrigerator leaking! Remember the "struggling" fridge? All winter I'd had a problem with vegetables rotting in the fridge within a few days of bringing them home but put it down to old produce, and I don't eat meat or I would have figured out the fridge was dying (and when I turned the fridge off for a few hours during my 'elimination process', the leak of course continued). Apparently the gas leaking from and old refrigerator is ok until it encounters a heat source, such as a computer motor, radiator, TV, etc. Ironically, landlord is on vacay again, so I put the fridge outside (a long way from the house), borrow a neighbor's bar fridge until I can get to town to buy a new fridge, wash or take outside everything that that was fume-ridden (soft furnishings stunk), and within a week the place was good as new. That was in October. The neighbor hasn't bothered to come and retrieve the bar fridge yet, it just stayed in the kitchen next to the new one.

Summer arrived, and the landlord had done nothing about the aircon all year, the old unit is still in the wall wrapped up. Then about two weeks ago he came and installed a split-system unit in the living room, where there wasn't one before. Bewdy! Everything was fine and clean and I could be cool at the same time. What could go wrong?

Yesterday and the day before were very hot days and I had the aircon going all day and half the night both days, partly to keep the fridge cool (the brochure said it would get 'warm' on the outside when it was working hard, but it gets HOT and you don't want to be anywhere near it on a hot day). On the night of Day 1 I noticed the exhaust smell again, so yesterday I turned off the gas and hauled out the neighbor's old bar fridge onto the porch. The exhaust fume smell remains and my voice is getting croaky again and my chest is starting to hurt again and I'm getting 'dopy' again.

The new fridge makes terrible noises, sometimes grinding noises, sometimes like a cow mooing outside (this IS the country however there are no cows in my garden but I know what they sound like). The fridge brochure says that the fridge may make strange noises but these noises are not refrigerator noises that I've ever heard before. Then again, the new aircon is a cheap no-brand one.

Now I'm going to get a professional in to determine if it's the aircon or the fridge that's responsible. I've lived here for almost 8 years, so there are no environmental issues with the house.

I wrote this for all you people who think you may be 'just sick' and are not.

cheers.

.
Does anyone else with this exhaust smell problem take cholesterol medicine?  I take Benicar and I have a theory that this may be a side effect as the body breaks down cholesterol.  It seems to get better if I go off the medicine for a few days.  Cholesterol is an organic that could break down into trace amounts of carbon monoxide and be detected by those of us sensitive to this smell.  This is just a theory, but I have a degree in Chem Engr, so it makes some sense to me.
Update: I didn't need to call a professional the next day, because the smell was gone and hasn't returned. It must have been the neighbor's old bar fridge which is still on the porch, and, no, I'm not going to buy him a new for Christmas. :)

HOLY COW I'M NOT CRAZY!!  For the last several hours I have been smelling nothing but car exhaust.  So much so that I went to the carbon monoxide detectors in the house to make sure they were working properly.  I even went to my neighbors house to see if they could come over to see if they smelled it.  Both said they smelled nothing ... this alarmed me because it has such a powerful, distinct smell that I was sure they would identify the odor as well.  I decided to google it and am relieved that I find that I'm not the only one experiencing it.  As a child I was diagnosed with chronic sinusitis and am accustomed to my signs of a sinus infection.  This is something that is entirely new and, to be quite honest, very bothersome.  I'm dizzy, have a headache, and all I can smell is this exhaust.  
I've been getting the sensation for about 10 years now off and on. With me it seems to come around january and february. At first I used to notice it while driving in my automobile. I kept thinking I had an exhaust leak and my eyes used to seem to burn also. I now believe the sore eyes ere from the dry air that the defroster was blowing in my face. then at home at first i wued to think my clothes must still have the smell of exhaust fumes on them. I could'nt seem to wash the smell out of my clothes. It smelled like i was working on old cars with a lot of exhaust fumes around me. but that was'nt the case. At home I crawled around the house on my hands and knees smelling extension chords that had several electrical chords plugged into them, I took the computer apart sniffed around in there, thought it may have been some falty electrical wires or equipment. I wondered if I might be extra sensitive to all the electro magnetic waves from millions of electrical appliances we're surrounded by every day.the electromagnetic fields all around us. the radiation from cell phones? I even wondered if rogue elements of the cia were testing out some advanced ray gun on some of the population? ha, ha. its a weird sensation. all sorts of thoughts searching for reasons for a cause go thru your mind. With me it almost always comes in the winter months. So I guess I'm not alone, yipee! I presently am guessing it is something in the environment that is causing us to experience it.  About 40 yrs back i worked in a javex (clorox) factory for a couple weeks but had to quit because all my cothes got ruined. Afterwards I noticed a very very odd olfactory sensation. almost like my sense of smell sense had been chemically burned. it eventually stopped but the mental impression reoccurred off and on thru the yrs but moreso whenever i smelled clorox. even today i can't be near clorox very long. clorox is made from chloride and chlorine gas is very deadly if in large enough quantity. I'll end on that cheerful note, lol.
I too have been having the same problem for over a week now. It started one evening a could smell a strong smell of gas so strong i could taste it. After 3 days this smell and taste turned into petrol exhaust fumes. However, i realised this was only happening in the evening at home and whilst driving my van. So for the last 24hours, even though it is bitterly cold, i decided not to put my heating on. Well the taste and smell of petrol fumes is now hardly noticeable i.e. it definately is connected to my sinus AND is definately agrivated by heat. Exactly what it is and how to cure it i have yet to find out. I have been to my Doctors and he put it down to acid reflux which i have been given tablets for. Have been taking them for a week now and has made no difference whatsover!
I too have been having the same problem for over a week now. It started one evening a could smell a strong smell of gas so strong i could taste it. After 3 days this smell and taste turned into petrol exhaust fumes. However, i realised this was only happening in the evening at home and whilst driving my van. So for the last 24hours, even though it is bitterly cold, i decided not to put my heating on. Well the taste and smell of petrol fumes is now hardly noticeable i.e. it definately is connected to my sinus AND is definately agrivated by heat. Exactly what it is and how to cure it i have yet to find out. I have been to my Doctors and he put it down to acid reflux which i have been given tablets for. Have been taking them for a week now and has made no difference whatsover! DID YOU FIND OUT WHAT IT WAS?
I've been experiencing this "exhaust" smell for about 3 days now. I've just recently gotten over a pretty bad cold. Not sure if that has anything to do with it. Glad to see that I'm not alone or crazy! I hope this "exhaust" smell goes away soon. It's starting to bug me a lot.
I too am experiencing the very same symptoms- dizziness,exhaust smell and I also think I hear a very distant muffled motor sound that seems to be pulsating. But, there is not a motor running anywhere that I can find. "In my head"? The smell at times is close to nauseating. The smell is actually more bothersome than the dizziness. I began taking some med about 3 weeks ago, but I think it is doubtful they are the cause. I will ask the doc next time I see him in a few days.  
ok i got the car fumes smell and sometimes the burning nostrils, headache. Docs for me then it is.
I was exposed to mold about 5 years ago and lived in it for about 2 years before the walls etc. were torn out and I moved. I moved into a place, it flooded mold grew and I was soooo sick once again. Since then...I have moved again and we now live in a house with a damp basement and I am smelling the exhaust fumes which come and go and last about a week each time...it rained here yesterday and it started up again...I use lysol to clean the room I am in the most.  When you smell that smell ...it is as if there is a car running in your house and for me I have the same effects as if it actually were running in my house...light headed, ears buzzing, headache ...I have been to an ENT and he said use the nettie pot..I've tried the nettie pot...it helps but doesn't cure it...the smell makes you crazy...everytime I smell it..I suspect mold "somewhere" my sister has mold sensitivity also and the same thing happens to her
I was wondering krp about your mold sickness and your symptoms.

You mention becoming sooo sick.....

How did the mold effect you, what did your sickness consist of? What symptoms did you experience?

Do you still react if exposed to mold?  and how does outdoor mold effect you?

thanks if you wanna reply.
I have got fumes in my car but even though I had my car fixed recently a clucth fixed it was after that, nut before that i could always smell burning tar smell and exhaust fumes?? Ok there are toomany of us on here to put this aside come on docs whats happening to us all, alien effects or what am I going to internally combust next?
My symptoms: smell fumes on and off for passed 3 /4 years. Nothing in particular sets it off it could be anywhere anytime.
Passed 4 days have had it almost everyday on and off accompanied my migraine type headaches. taking 500-1000mg pain killers. Neck feels a bit uncomfortable.  What did your doctor diagnose?  It is quite worrying. I have no sinus problems and not on any medication at the moment as trying to detox my system. If so many of us are having the same problems (all but a few) why has no professional come up with a real answer!!!!
No, I've never taken cholesterol meds.
I've had the same condition on and off for three years. 30 years old, good health otherwise. Exact same as previously described. More intense when breathing shallow, smell exhaust all the time, even while surfing. I've had this occur about 4 times in the last 3 years. Has lasted for a day or two or up to several months. I know my is actually triggered by smelling exhaust outside, boat or car exhaust. Not every time though. And then the smell is reoccurring everywhere I go. Haven't seen an ENT yet. How has nobody responded to the cause and cure? Any info? Sinus infection sounds like a reasonable suggestion.
I am curios to know if you ever figured out what the smell is all about ?  I had it once before and it lasted about 2 1/2 weeks . I am very sad that it is back , so I suppose this is going to be a life long thing ....  I don not have insurance so I will not be having a lot of test to figure this out .  Any advice would be appreciated .. Angie
Yes I smell exhaust also and I do take lovastatin.
I've had it about 4 times over the last 4 years. Mine is gone again after being around for a week. I did 2 "netipots' nasal cleaners per day for 4 days. Maybe the sinus infection just ran its course or maybe the nasal douche worked. Extremely strange that mine is actually triggered by smelling exhaust outdoors and then lasts everywhere for 3 days to 3 weeks. But not every time I smell exhaust. Anyways, gone now. Hopefully for good but probably not. Good luck. Hope that helps.
What evidence or facts do you have to back this statement up with? I would greatly appreciate anything you may have.
My research brought me to the same conclusion. My primary doc thinks i'm nuts. He is the kind of guy who just knows how to prescribe flonase. I'm going to see an ENT to see if he can locate and culture the fungi in my sinuses. I bet it comes back to candida albicans. Most research about multiple chemical sensitivity comes back to this. Be careful as many sites are just trying to get you to buy their cure for profit. I believe only doctor prescribed antifungals can cure this. My odor detection capabilities are probably on par with the best drug sniffing k-9's. But it's getting in the way of life right now. I usually just pick up on molds, bacteria and chemicals like benzine and fermaldihide, etc. Last week I got this burning smell that would not go away and could not sleep for 2 days. At 1am on night 3 I got desperate and put a menthenol pain relieving gel in my nostrils. The smell was better but still there as if it were coming from my lungs or tounge. I then remembered we had ambesol for tooth pain and put way too much on my tounge and it felt as if spray foam had just expanded in my mouth. I spit it out into a cup of water and it formed the tornado like legs that the candida spit test refers to. Some say it's bs and others swear by it. I'm a believer now. The burning smell is gone. I still have the over sensitive odor detection though. I did some research on benzocaine which is the only ingresdient in ambesol and research done by the dental industry to determine why there are so few infections after dental work is attributed to the use of benzocaine spray to numb the area just prior to the numbing injection. They studied benzocaine and lidocaine and turns out both are effective fungicides and bacteriocides. Too much benzocaine can cause a dangerous condition called methemoglobinemia especially if you are anemic. I actually found this site by researching why I imagine odors that no one else smells because I was ready to accept it being a mental disorder. Glad I found you all as I am encouraged again to seek the ENT's opinion!
I would like to bring up something additional. The standard treatment for a sinus infection is the antibiotic augmentin. Antibiotics only kill bacteria, their use kills the so called "good" bacteria in the gut. They also weaken the immune system while taking them allowing the candida fungus to multiply. Fungus not only takes over the surface of the affected area but forms roots that are hard to kill. It's possible this is why sinusitis is chronic and keeps coming back. I smell the computer exhaust sometimes too. I think it's because the chips are designed to run at somewhere around 140 degrees, yes really look it up, and give off a slight burning odor which when pumped out by the fan triggers an exhaust smell.  It really stuns me that primary physicians don't pick up on multiple chemical, chronic sinus, chronic fatigue, etc. Someone else mentioned the ability to smell cancer. Some docs think cancer actually starts out as mold or fungus. They are regarded as nuts by their peers. Fungus likes dark moist places so when its humid out they use the moisture in the air to multiply. A lot of people say they feed off sugar as well causing them to grow. Look up the candida spit test and try it. I did it and took it a step further by adding a tablespoon of sugar to the cup. They fungus merged with the sugar over a period of two days and formed what I would describe as individual see through worms. I abandoned the test after thinking I was just crazy. So it does seem feasable that it needs sugar to multiply. I wonder what a longer duration test would produce. I also have to wonder what the difference would be in and out of the host (us). Candida albicans has also been implicated in rhumitiod arthritis. So far I have only posted what I have found on sites that physicians use: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3155329/#b17-ijerph-08-02770
http://www.epa.gov/iaq/pubs/insidestory.html
http://www.epa.gov/iaq/pubs/hpguide.html
http://pamodules.mc.duke.edu/Oral_Health/Print.asp?CourseNum=1&LessonNum=3
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/213853-overview
way too many articles to post, use the medscape, ncbi, and epa sites for more info. I have not checked to see what info this site has yet. I am wondering if the fungi in the sinuses can pick up on minute traces of odor and increase their intensity somehow causing our k-9 senses.
Dusty and Neo, What tests and treatment have you had?. I just got insurance and will be looking for an open minded or doctor with MCS experience.
I smell gas fumes as well where none exist. It happens two or three times a year and lasts for about two weeks each time. I've discovered what brings it on and that's stress. It's been happening now for about three years, I'm now 58.
The smell gets me down!
I'm not crazy!  The exhaust smell started for me about a month ago, it would come and go.  I can feel the smell even when I hold my breath.  I went to the EPA website checked polution levels for the Inland Empire and nothing.  No one in my family could smell it.  I changed my AC filters, hosed down our unit outside, was even going to have my husband check out the attic. I'm a Nurse Practitioner and never heard of this.  I really appreciate everyone's posts and I'm starting on antibiotics today, if that doesn't help, I'm going to see an ENT...I feel as though I'm living on the 10 fwy in LA!
Wow glad I found this is not a figment of my imagination.  I have been dealing with this for a week now and it is making me nausious. I cover my face and it seems to go away for awhile but returns as soon as I uncover my face just wondering if anyone has any home remedies that would make this stop
I too have been dealing with this for several months, but thought I was crazy when neither my husband or daughter could smell it.. I smell it all the time no matter where I am, but seems to be noticeable when I have down time, like reading, watching tv or laying down to go to sleep.... Guess it's time to make a trip to the Doc.
conspiracy theory = chemtrails.  watch what in the world are they spraying on you tube.
Mine is back. About the 5th time I've had it. It is caused every time by smelling exhaust fumes, and then the phantom smell persists, every where. Today I was boating and could smell my boats exhaust. Now I smell it again literally everywhere, non stop. It's the same thing every time. Such a strange phenomenon. I have bags under my eyes and am wondering if there is a sinus connection, stored fluids or some such thing. I'm going to do a neti-pot and see if it's gone by tomorrow. Wish there was an ENT in my town.
I thought I was losing my mind until I found all these posts! So here is my story on this exhaust smell. 57 yo woman in great health with have NO ailments (thank God) No medications, haven't had any illness in about 10 years and then it was only a cold. I eat very healthy...I'm actually a vegan type person (no meat, no fish, no eggs or diary). Only a plant based diet. Had a 'wellness' test 8 months ago for cheaper insurance rates...everything was great. I have no sinus or dental issues. I share a home with 2 parrots and 3 cats. Parrots are VERY sensitive to fumes of any kind. They are behaving normal as well as the cats. I smell this in my home mainly in the evening when relaxing but also at work. No one else smells it. It is not a constant or maybe I have just begun to ignore it while I'm busy with something else. This is THE oddest unexplainable thing! I do have extremely good olfactory sense but this is just too extreme and unexplained. I have an ENT doc friend that I'll call tomorrow and see what he has to say but I am really puzzled.
I have bee smelling exhaust fumes for about the past six months.  It appears to be progressively getting worse, however, not always present.  The only linkage that I have observed is the presence of A/C.  Either in a building or vehicles.  That is the only time that I smell it.  The smell does not manifest outdoors.  I have no idea what the deal is.  I am 43 in the military and very healthy for my age.  I do suffer from mild migraines from time to time.  I've been putting off going to the Doc because of the look I'll probably get.  My initial thought is some type of Fungal infections, however, I have not been able to substantiate.  Any thoughts??????????
Have you by chance had a change in plaque build up on your tongue? Try submersing your toothbrush with 100% full strength hydrogen peroxide, brush tongue lightly, you'll get non painful bubbling white foam action, bacteria killing action on your tongue, let stand 40-50 seconds and rinse a few times with water, repeat. Try and notice if strange or unusual smells are still there or persist. This worked for me, I had carbon monoxide smells all day, eyes even felt like they were burning but could not have been, not at work and home. Hope it helps.
Another sufferer here, it started 4 or 5 weeks ago and I couldn't pin point the smell. Something between paint and some kind of cleaner but having read this I agree on the exhaust fume likeness. I thought it was something in a specific room in my house (lounge) as thats where I noticed it most but have since noticed it more often elsewhere. As someone else said it seems to happen when more relaxed (lounging on sofa, reading, at computer etc).

So
This just started happening to me last night and it won't go away.  The only thing that I can attribute it to is that I found my vitamins (possibly expired/bad) and took them.  I can smell these suckers though the bottle, on top of the exhaust/oily/rubbery/eraser-like smell that is making me nauseous.  The smell of the vitamins are also making me nauseous.  I don't know if it is the type or if it is the brand or if I inadvertently poisoned myself by taking old ones or ones that had been exposed to moisture, but they are Calcium/Magnesium with Zinc and Ultimate B+C Complex, both from Solgar.  Hopefully this will help everyone track down their symptoms, as well as myself.  I'm still experiencing the symptoms since last night and I have the stinky vitamins in a bag, on my desk.  I going to double-bag them to hopefully contain the smell a bit more and maybe it will help with the nausea and the exhaust/rubber smell in my nose.  I will let everyone know.  Also - I am a 30 year old, epileptic smoker.  Never experienced these symptoms until I took the vitamins that were "lost" in my apartment until yesterday.
Thank you for the advice.  I will try it and see what happens..
Over a year ago (2012) I started smelling the exhaust smell. It came with such a sudden onset that I thought something had spilled or was burning in the storage room under my condo. I went banging on doors insisting that everyone look in their storage area. (Lucky I wasn't committed.) Along with the smell I experience sinus pressure. I insisted to my GP that I had a sinus infection. No other symptoms. After this went on for 2 months she did a CT scan. Clear. MRI. Clear. Referred me to an ENT. He scoped my sinuses. Clear. BUT the ENT had just left a seminar - where this phenomena  was discussed. And he insists that these are cluster migraines. They'll come for a while stay and then leave. The sinus pain is minimal really and controlled with ibuprofen - but the exhaust smell is relentless. I was happy to see it go - but last week it came back. And has caused constant nausea! I'm essentially incapacitated because I'm living on Phenergan. Has anyone found anything that will relieve the smell?
Also smelling exhaust fumes  more than not over past 5 weeks since had temporary crown glued back in... First time he glued it it came out second time he used a heavy duty dental glue/ cement.... I think this is the problem.....have you had any dental work just prior to smell.
I had a white composite filling replaced right before mine started, got it extracted, things seem to be getting better.
Can't believe I found someone else that smells this. Told my girlfriend what I smelled and she said she doesn't. Google this and found this blog. My smells like charcoal lighter fluid that hasn't caught fire yet on the charcoal. It's constant everywhere I go. Started about three months ago. When I first noticed it, I went outside to see if maybe it was cars on the road in front of my house. Now, my throat feels scratchy at times and last night, it was so strong, it made me feel sick to my stomach. Glad to hear others are smelling this. It's not sinus with me or any tumor. So what is it?
And then there's the 'humm'. Look that one up on Google. Wonder if they are related. Cliff1955
Out of curiosity, how many of you who have this complaint are smokers? I am a medical professional interested in isolating this phenomenon. Thanks.
Hi Jerry 1957 & thank you for having the guts to ask this question! I've experienced the exact same smell. I was living in Jacksonville FL at the time It started & felt maybe It was my close proximity to I-95 but i moved to a different home far away from the interstate & still smelled exhaust! Now I've moved to VA & STILL smell exhaust! I've asked my daughter whom i lived with at both places in FLA but she said she's never smelled It! I'm terrified to even mention It to my Drs (because of the tumor scare) Please keep me posted if you find out what is causing this. Thank you!
I smell the same thing ALL the time.  No matter where I am.  It smells constantly like I'm inhaling from an exhaust pipe.  If anyone finds an answer, I would love to hear it!!  This has been going on for at least a year.  
I've been smelling the same thing for a year or more.  It drives me nuts.
I have the same thing for about 6-8 weeks. Also the nausea and even burning eyes. Strong exhaust smell (not diesel) everywhere I go. The plumber found a leak in a pipe and replaced some drywall that had a small amount of mold. The same day I started eating crushed red pepper flakes and Tabasco on everything I was eating. That seemed to help a little and then I read a post here where someone was putting something in his nose to cover up the smell. In desperation I used eucalyptus oil, peppermint oil and lavender and put an ever so slight amount inside each nostril to cover up the small so I could sleep. This recipe has seemed to work very well. I have had to reapply this about every other day to keep the smell away.  I hope it can help some of you guys too
This will interest you all. I met someone today who was telling me about the health problems of a friend of hers including some sort of mysterious sickness caused by her home that had been solved. The lady had half of her house locked up for a year and never used those rooms because she said after a couple of hours of being in there she could smell horrible fumes and began to cough and wheeze and sometimes get a bright red rash like hives. The only appliances in those rooms were a clock-radio in the bedroom and a TV in the living room and both were sniffed by several people and they all said no, there's no fumes coming from that, so even people who said that they could smell "something" (she suspected they were just indulging her) had no clue what it could be. All the carpets were steamed and the walls painted but that had made no difference. Then someone who was trying to determine what those two rooms had in common noticed that in those rooms were the only environmentally friendly low energy light bulbs in the house. There was a 3-light pendant fitting above where the lady's easy chair had sat in the living room and there was one in the bedside reading lamp.

The light bulbs were replaced and bingo! Now she has her health and her house back. No more coughing and no more rashes and no more smell.

Maybe some of you may be able to trace the beginning of your problem to the installation of low energy light bulbs.

God I'm so glad to find this . I been smelling things like exhausted fumes when in the house. No garage but a crawl space. Bout 3 foot high.  It's driving me crazy . I've always had sinus prob but never that smell?  In this house we have  central heat and oar electric. But someone also put in a wall heater that looks new. We never used it but it runs bu propane or gas? So I don't know who to call to check those lines or whatever. I've had migraines for 10 + years but the smell is new?
Wow - I had no idea that I would find this in a search - I have been smelling cigarette smoke and car exhaust for quite some time - no one else around me smells it. Thank you for sharing and presenting a forum where we can feel some measure of normal. I am pretty sure my Doctor will just dismiss my concerns. I have no air conditioning unit to check; have excellent oral health care; use a netti pot; no low energy bulbs...
Hi Jerry,

I just googled this topic today because since last night, I have been smelling gas.  I thought perhaps I forgot to turn off the stove, but it was already off.  I also noticed it this morning when I was driving to work and thought it was fumes from my car or neighboring cars.

However, sitting at my desk this afternoon, I realized I have the same annoying gas smell in my nostrils and I'm not near a kitchen with a stove.

This is very odd and I hope it goes away soon.
The burning frumes all over Los Angeles.  It is CHEAPLY MADE FOREIGN TIRES that have been allowed to be traded to us in one of the new global trade treaties like the TPP.  They are burning up all over L.A.  Mitchellin is allowing law suites for the tires and will replace them. They will not stay inflated and melt right before your eyes.  We should have put a stop to these global trade treaties when they killed our cats with the bad cat food.  WE ALL HAVE TO STAND UP AGAINST THESE TREATIES BEFOR THE TTP TAKES THE REST OF WHATS LEFT OF OUR JOBS AWAY.  PLEASE LET CONGRESS KNOW!
When I went from brand name Lipitor to generic atorvastatin I noticed my heart started hurting in the middle of the night and would stop and then start beating wildly.  So I stopped taking it altogether.  I was only on one 10 mg. pill per day.  My friend was on two 20 mg. pills four times per day.  He began taking Raspberry ketones and within two months his doctor cut him off ALL his Lipitor and his diabetic Actos in half.  In other words, the Raspberry ketone pills DID have an affect on the way his liver was digesting fats to the extent that he did not have to take all those meds any more and his diabetes was way better.  I read a medical paper that said the ketones do exactly that:  change the way the liver breaks down  cholesterol. HIS ENTIRE BODY SMELLS NORMAL NOW AND IT DID NOT BEFORE HE GOT OFF THE MEDS!
If something smells like car exhaust it probably IS like car exhaust, and NOT a reason to go to an allergy doctor!
When you smell gas, that's not a time to start HOPING it goes away. You're supposed find out why, immediately!
Had same problem. Exhaust smell. Eyes burn. Sinus congestion. Started after treating basment for bad mold problem and breathing a lot of Lysol. Had a heavy duty mask at the time but know that is when it started. Can be triggered by several things but computer fan exhaust seems to be the worst . Seen lots of specialist and each seems to have a different explanation   Have been taking lymactol for several yeas and also heavy pain mends since  botched back surgery. Closest thing that doctors  have suggested is multiplayer chemical sensivity.  
I have the same damn problem.  IT gets so bad that my eyes water, my nose burns and my lungs burn from it.  I have been to an ent and my sinuses are clear.  Every one I have seen is baffled by this.  The longest it has went on is a month and a half.  I have been dealing with it for a year and a half.  If you get an answer let me know.
I've lived in my house for 12 years now. The house was built in 1917 and has a history of abusive occupants. Ever since I moved in I would smell something like someone smoking a cigarette. You know how you walk up to a bunch smokers standing around and you get that second hand smoke smell? The weird thing was it was only in certain small areas in the house. I would walk between the dining room and the living room and just get a whiff of it, and then it was gone. The house was totally renovated before I moved in so I always just assumed it was old left over smell creeping in.

Lately for the past few Months I have smelled a different odor. It could be cigarettes but it smells more like exhaust fumes. It seems to be worse at night and it is all over the house. Recently I had my ducts cleaned and also have had work done it the attic and under the house in the crawl space. I think it started after that some time. I am very concerned that it may be unhealthy and I'm not sure what to do. I've read these comments and many of them make sense so I think I will call a professional.
I have had this gasoline or solvent odor around me for a few days.   I can't believe how many people have posted the same problem.  I though for sure solvent odor was entering my office through the door cracks.  I work where employees clean furniture products with solvent.  No one else in the office can smell it though.  I'm researching this because now I'm home and smell it while on the computer.  I have had some sinus issues.  Nothing serious, just real dry right now.  I have been tired and I'm probably not drinking enough water.  I get so busy!  I'm a little worried now!  I now know it's me, not my surroundings.  wow. i don't know what to do.
Long story short I endured a similar situation, mine was due to a non ventilated automotive shop, that I started employment during the end of the winter months, in weeks I developed symptoms as throat irritation, headaches, runny nose, which I mostly curved by consuming cough drops, then spring came the doors opened and things stayed as they were, not any better or worse, just eat a few cough drops here and there and I was able to manage, would just grunt through those symptoms....until fall came around, the doors got closed, low and behold those 3 or 4 symptoms began getting worse, due to every automotive chemical in the department at all times.....as time went on during fall into the winter months, symptoms piled up, on top of the ones I already was fighting, the numbness spread throughout my body, I lost all feeling of everything from head to toe, ringing of the ears, blurry vision, balance started out off a little and progressively in days moved to that of the most intoxicated person I've ever seen...."Ive never drank a day in my life", a brain fog so potent it became hard for me to tell you where I was at and what I was doing, by this point I was tasting and smelling these chemicals every where, no matter home, outside or in that damn place.....but I kept going back, the chemicals continued to build up, my lungs were throwing out this clear cottage cheese textured stuff, that went from clear, to orange, to red!!! My hair was falling out at an insane rate, my finger/toe nails quit growing, sleeping 15 hours a day and still could hardly get out of bed, I developed some odd tickling sensation throughout my cardiovascular system that would occur every time my heart would beat, that I could feel.....nothing more though, nervous system was gone, my throat/lungs/stomach smelled as if they was an exhaust stack on top of a nuclear reactor, chemical infested in other words.Consuming a bottle of pepto a day, with 15 or so tums/gaviscons, and prolly 10 cough drops, which was my only little relief to these chemicals. Then one night I was awoke to the craziest thing I'd ever endured to that point, my entire body felt like I was a piece of uranium 235,  fresh out of a reactor, I felt like I was practically glowing because of the amount of chemicals pouring out of every orfice on me, the stench of diesel/gasoline exhaust, just pure broken down engine oil, transmission fluid, brake cleaner, rtv's, mineral spirts, everything I was forced to inhale and ingest 10 hours a day for the past year and half was trying to get out, and get out NOW!!! The only way I can explain it is, my entire body was numb, yet I could feel it wanted to literally implode at the same time....once I was awake for 10 minutes or so it quit and I dozed back off, not knowing what actually happened at the time went back to work again, "like a dummy, I know", I thought it was a normal reaction to these chemicals, for what reason I don't know, the only thing I can come up with I was so doped up I wasn't in the right mind set, and continued to subject myself to this punishment day in an day out for few more weeks in which more symptoms came about, I started urinating a rainbow, defecating lead sinkers, mean while putting up still with all the other symptoms.....developed a full blown 6th sense, and its all I can call it...it felt like a cattle prod frying me from inside out, and what I found out instantly was it made all 25 other symptoms flare like crazy!!! The 6th sense would fry me from the smallest amounts of diesel, gas, oil, rtv's, anything with a hydrocarbon or harsh chemical background would bring me to my knees and actually render me unconscious for a second or 2, and once I came back all the other symptoms were worse.....the problem was it wasn't just at work anymore, I could no longer take a lawn mower, four wheeler, car, truck, tractor, or even a grill.....drain the oil out of your crankcase and put it in a bucket with me standing down wind and I was turned into the largest drug dopped fein you'd ever seen....long story short I couldn't walk, talk or tell you who I was period, which meant I couldn't work no more, so they fired me which left me unemployed but by this time it didn't matter.....just getting better, after a week or 2 out of there all the antacids/pepto and cough drops went to an absolute 0, I didn't need any of them, that quick, of being out of there is when I really went through what I now know was an automotive detox, that I had been going through for year straight and thought it was a normal reaction...I know you all must think I'm a complete idiot, but I had my reasons for staying, didn't really have a choice and honestly till the 6th sense settled in I wasn't positive what was making all this occur......anyway the detox's were horrible, I spent night after night dumping these chemicals, going through these uranium 235 nuclear reactor sessions for months, not being able to do anything but let them happen, while the smallest amount of anything would put me right back in the same spot I was months previously!!! All the headway I had made could be erased with one breath, I thought maybe if I just get all these chemicals out of me, I would maybe get better, as months turned into 3,4,5 and 6 months I was finally done detoxing but the sensitivity was not going down....
I was returning to a normal state as in getting my body back piece by piece, the more chemicals I got out the more of me I got back, it was totally insane, I remember having my first hunger pain in like 2 years, at first I didn't even know what it was, and I was like wow that's what that feels like, I got my stomach back, my lungs, my liver, spleen, face, hands, feet....it all was coming back in time, organ by organ, which I thought was good except every organ I got back, felt totally destroyed, 6 months went to 8 and I wished I was all doped up again because the pain was insane, at least doped up I couldn't feel the damage done, I wanted to die 100 times over going through what I had already been through, but I still wasn't out of the woods by a long shot.....I could eat again, walk, talk and tell you who I was by this time, balance and blurring vision was the only remaining symptoms all the time, but most everything else was returning!!! The catch was though that I couldn't encounter even a part per trillion of raw fossil fuel or chemical, because I could still go right back to where I was while being employed at this place, so you live like a hermit and just focus on getting better....every sense came back slowly, every muscle, every joint, every organ just felt demolished, even 8 and 9 months out of there....its now been 11 months and my balance in normal and vision is normal finally, the fog is gone, numbness comes and goes, say when I try to brush my teeth or shave, my hands go numb and cold all the time, feet are just that way all the time.....that"s without breathing any chemical that this stuff screws up, which tells me its gone forever, now my 6th sense is weaker but still there, if I hit a diesel cloud or oil cloud, even today, all those symptoms I endured for years, can come rushing back with 1 breath, tasting and smelling nothing but what was in that 1 breath for sometimes days, and keeping me sick with most of those symptoms for days on just one hit...so I live with a respirator if I even venture outside, and that's life now, I've seen doctor after doctor, diagnosis is "hydrocarbon based allergy", and in today's society you can't do anything without getting hit by those, hell I opened my sister christmas gift which was a ratcheting screw driver set, with a damn rubber grip on it, just yesterday, as soon as I lifted the lid, and didn't think about it, got slaughtered in just one part breath, the oil amount in the small rubber grip set off my 6th sense and left me impaired/high as a kite for 6 or 7 hours....headaches,numbness,blurry vision, couldn't stand, walk or talk right....its just plain annoying anymore but there is nothing that can be done, I get to live like this forever according to those the doctors....but my pride is strong and I'm pretty optimistic, the way I figure if I keep pumping iron, while eating right and staying away from all hydrocarbons, there's no reason what my body developed in 3.5 years of horrible conditions, that I can't do an entire 180 in 3.5 years of good, clean air......but that's the worst part about this joke, clean air is non existent!!! To just breath without worrying about an invisible enemy would be grand,  Seen about 10 of them damn doctors, throughout the entire timeline and same situation as most of you, "There's nothing wrong with you, your healthy as a horse, or we've never heard of something like this".....but they are all in a hurry to submit ya to a psychiatric..... so an even longer story short, at this point I wish I could just smell it and not feel it, maybe the smallest amounts wouldn't be like the most powerful drug on the planet to me!!! Just beware if your smelling it all the time, you might simply be getting to much for your body to handle, and yes I asked and begged for safety equipment throughout my employment, response was "looks bad for business", "suck it up, this is a automotive shop, not a popery shop", just comments like that make a person feel its their fault they develop things like this, like its a personal weakness of my own, the best part is there was roughly 6 or 7 of us wearing particulate masks a lot, which do nothing but was the only thing we was allowed to wear....off course there is more to the story but that is the gist, mostly posting so someone else doesn't make the same mistakes, no matter the obligations you think you might have, your health is never one to risk in that situation......just make changes, not matter what the cost, because the result could be this.....take nothing for granted, just being able to safely drive down the road, on my way to see my brother and wonder if I'll be normal when I get there, is something I have to worry about now.....Living with something like this makes you truly realize what we are doing on a planetary scale, we are killing everything and everyone on this planet, and most of us don't even have the slightest clue, all this oil in the atmosphere is good for no one, and nothing!!! When a person can get sick from a lawn that was mowed 2 days before, due to the oil settling down, has to tell someone we have to change something....emissions are good but not enough, you all developing this smell all the time and not being overexposed is proof of that!!
I'm so glad I looked this up, for about 3 weeks now I've been smelling exhaust fumes.  I live in a dead end so there is hardly any traffic.  I had my brother check the furnace, he changed the filter because I swore it was coming from there but that is not the case.  I used to get sinus infections all the time when I had a dog but I haven't had the dog or a sinus infection for over 6 years now, so I'm baffled.  And no one else can smell it when I do, I think I'm going crazy,
Had this same problem, Turned out to GERD Gastroesophageal reflux disease. Started taking Omeprazole and it was gone the next day. Smelled like a 2 cycle engine running in my room. Blocked off the vent and return. Thought it was my TV or laptop. Had an exhaust fan venting out my window in the middle of winter.  
i also smell the same a GASOLINE ENGINE and weird i am the only one smell it and i am also searching for an explanation and cure because its really upsetting and i don't like what I smell I am worried if it can cause a problem to my lungs

i'm just hoping somebody can help..
When we switched over to 2 Dell precision 690s the fumes from them are constantly in the air.  Mine sits under my desk and the exhaust and heat hits my face on a daily basis.  About a week ago, I began experiencing shortness of breath especially when I sat at my computer.  I've never smoked and have allergies to certain foods but never shortness of breath.   Also,  since we got these two big Dells, there's an electrical smell in the air that has permeated my office and our home. After research, I've decided to move the computer further away from me and keep a small fan running and the window open until I can get a new computer because I believe this is the problem.  No problems when away from the home.
chemtrails!!!!!
Did you ever get any answers for this? Mine just started up again when I started using my allergy spray. However I also have something very stressful going on right now. I am going to discontinue the spray and see if it goes away. I about went nuts last year! Great diet program, as I was so nauseous, I couldn't even eat!
Mine is back. 6th time in 5 years. Mine is always triggered by smelling actual exhaust from a vehicle, and then the smell stays with me for days, everywhere. But this time I did not trigger it with exhaust (as far as I know). But I was doing some painting and wonder if the chemicals present triggered it?  Also woke up pretty blocked in one nose. And I do have a broken nose (just found that out when I went to an ENT last year). He thinks it could be the issue, trapping smells somehow. Hope it goes away again. Annoying.
For about a month now I have been complaining about smelling car exhaust fumes.  After reading several of these posts I cane tell you that I wear full dentures, I live in an apartment that is about 50 feet from the parking lot.  My apartment is all electric.  There is not a smog problem where I live.  I thought I was going crazy because I kept asking other people when they were here if they could smell it and they said no.  I also read on one post that taking a seizure med would help.  We'll I take gabapebtin not foe seizures but I do take it.  All I know is it is driving me crazy.  I even try putting things like a perfumed lotion above my lip under my nose but that doesn't last very long.  As far as I know I don't have a sinus infection.  I just want it to stop.