Allergy Community
I smell exhaust fumes all the time

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Viewing 201-216 comments:
i have this also it is definitely exhaust smell. We do not have gas appliances all electric, I am perplexed!!!! cjb
thank the gods its not only me... ive been smelling car exhuast fumes for about a week now.. in the car, in the house, at the shopping centre, in bed everywhere... hubby and the kids dont smell it..
im a non smoker, 52 take no meds.. reasonalble health but have had a cold lately....  i hate it... its driving me mad, at first i though my car was leaking fumes or something but had that checked...
im going to the dr tomorrow for a check. hopefully it will be an infection as stated above but im not counting on it, as it seems to go and come back on some people ive read... wish me luck
Wow, so many posters makes me think we can figure this out!

My situation:

Had a cold about 7 years ago that wiped out my sense of taste for about 18 months. It eventually returned but at what I would speculatively call 75% strength. And there it has remained ever since. My sense of smell throughout this period, as best I can remember, remained normal.

The exhaust smell began about 4 or 5 years ago and I don't know if it's related to the cold. My symptoms come and go and are not as noticeable when breathing fast.

I have lived in 3 places in the past 2 years and have not only smelled it in every apartment--more or less ruling out an apartment related leak--but I also smell it at work and in the car. I should mention that I'm a contract videographer and work in a different place nearly every day. So, clearly not location related.

I am 49 and take no meds for anything and apart from being a little overweight am in great health and have good cholesterol levels. Also, I did smoke for many years but haven't in about 7 years.

I'm now going to do some research on GERD, which I'm guessing many of you are, as well. I have never been diagnosed with a sinus infection, but that sure doesn't mean that I don't have one.

I'll repost when and if I learn more about my own situation.

Thanks to all the contributors!
Well, after a quick perusal of the approximately 10 or 12 symptoms of GERD, of which I have zero, I must conclude that GERD is not my problem.
I'm having the same problem. Do you all use inhalers??
This is just bizarre. I am smelling these exhaust fumes everywhere too! Initially I thought it was my central air. However, I smell it in the shower, when I am at work, in the grocery store, everywhere. So I have concluded the obvious, it's me. I do not take meds, no inhalers, no smoking, I'm not around smokers, and I don't have animals. What the heck is going on?! I called my Dr today to ask him what he thinks. I said an appt isn't necessary because how is he going to examining my sense of smell? I'm at work now, in a college, and I feel like I am sitting in a mechanics garage.
I also have been smelling an odd smell. It's hard to describe. I would say it is spicy like incense but chemical too. Burning wood also comes to mind. Let me start off my saying I do have a brain tumor. But I believe this smell is related to the AC and heater unit. I didn't smell this at the last place I lived. And her I only smell it when the AC or heater is on. Don't go diagnosing yourselves with anything. If you smell it everywhere, try using a nettie pot. If that doesn't work see a doctor. If you only smell it at home. Try airing the place out, use a nettie pot, and check if there are other explanations. If you live really close to other people all types of smells will go through the vents. I'm scared to use the a/c now and it's hot.
I'm not only smelling the exhaust fumes, but also tasting them too.  This is not the first time I've experienced this.  It seems to come and go and I'm not sure why it comes and why it goes away.  That would be helpful to know what the trigger is.  It's extremely annoying but I have to hope that it will go away on it's own like it has in the past.  If not, I have an appointment with an ENT in September just in case.  It's good to have other people to bounce ideas off of and know you're not crazy...thanks!
Sometimes when people smell something when the smell is out of place or time, such as toast in the middle of the night when the toaster is not in use, or fumes when none are present (other trusted people deny them), this phenomena can be the result of an 'uncinate fit.'  Basically, the brain is stressed for some reason and this is a response to it.  'Uncinate fits' typically occur when someone is under quite a bit of stress or has had some other metabolic stress such as a trip to the dentist or a change in medications.  Best to play it safe and speak to medical professional.  I had uncinate fits during stressful times in medical school.   Hope this helps.  PeterDPT
Avatar n tn
This is so bizarre, thought I was going crazy. I have also been smelling the exhaust and have light headedness off and on all day. I am going to bring it up next week at my physical. I have been doing some checking up on all that I have read on here to bring up to him. My prayers go out to all of you. I know what you are all feeling and am really curious on what is going on. Thank you for making me feel as if I am not the only one.
I smell exhaust fumes for a couple of days after going on an extended drive, especially if I drive on an interstate/highway, however I do not smell the exhaust while I'm in the car. I will only smell these fumes after I come home from a long drive (over an hour). My husband does not smell it at all, and neither has anyone else who has ridden with us. The smell completely fades away after 2-3 days.

It is so awful to have to smell something you simply can't control. In my case, I feel that perhaps my nasal passages somehow slowly absorb the smell of the exhaust fumes, either from my own car, or from other cars while in heavy traffic. I have never had any sinus issues and haven't broken my nose, but your ENT's theory is interesting. I now wonder if/how the smell is getting trapped in my nasal passages. I do have a very sensitive sense of smell and that could also be contributing to it.

One thing that helps is smelling fresh coffee grounds. Put the grounds in a bowl and  keep them right next to you, close enough to smell them. The smell of vinegar can also be helpful, but of course it's very strong. When the exhaust fumes smell is too much to take, I open a bottle of vinegar and slowly breathe in the smell and hold it in my nasal passages for a few seconds. This seems clear out the exhaust fumes smell faster, but then you might be stuck with a vinegar smell!
I smell exhaust fumes also. Its been going on for years with me.i too am usually in bed sleeping and awake. It's nauseating at times. I am curious to find out why also. I ask whoever I'm around if they smell it and they look at me like I'm crazy. Lol something has to cause this and I'd love to know what and why its happening.  Thank You, CB
For a moment, I thought it was all in my head. I also smell and almost kinda taste fumes. It's been happening for a few weeks. It comes and goes and happens in many different places. Glad to read of others having the same problem. It's comforting that I'm not alone in this. Will go discuss with Dr.
What did it turn out to be? I'm having the same issues
Avatar n tn
I have found that using Fluticasone Propionate nasal spray helped re-leave my symptoms greatly. I had went crazy enough to completely tear down my furnace to check the combustion chamber for leaks. Before i went on line and found this bunch of people that were going crazy with the same symptoms too (LOL). Please pass this along to the person above your posting. As it would take me for ever to post to everyone. I know they will appreciate it.
Holy crikey!  This forum is a gold mine and quite a relief.  I too have started having this phantom exhaust smell that is driving me insane.  I recently moved to Minneapolis from Salt Lake City, and I am staying in a hotel room that is near the parking lot.  At first, I attributed the smell to a car idling in the lot (it's quite cold here, and people start their cars by remote to let them warm up).  But after checking the lot for running cars multiple times over the weekend and now having the smell hit me at WORK (where there are no cars and no one else smells anything), I'm beginning to think there may be something to all this.  Fortunately, I do have insurance now and can go to see a doctor if this doesn't go away on its own; my sinuses are terrible, and I have to take a sudafed everyday to keep them clear (yes I know, my body is already "addicted" to the sudafed - been on it for 15 years now...), and my sinuses have been dry and bleeding for some time now.  I suppose it's off to the ENT for me - if I find resolution, I will post more.  Good luck everyone - thank you for making me feel sane again.
Avatar n tn
I have an observation that I think may be very IMPORTANT to many of us.  I also have had these phantom fumes and smells for over five months...and they have ranged from sickly sweet/ moldy to pungent chemical and diesel fuel/kerosene- like in odor.  Many times I have had these smells early upon waking , but the worst times have been middle of the night, where they would wake me up with a sickening start!  I had felt all along that we had mold issues in our HVAC, and over the months had an entirely new system installed, inside and out, with new ductwork, etc.  We even added the UV light, and had a major cleaning done...we are in an almost brand new home...   Guess what....the smell came back just as before.  About two weeks ago, doing research on these fumes and moldy sickening odors...I stumbled across several blogs and sites describing Phantosmia.  WOW!  A frightening realization slowly overcame me...that it has all been internal...and not external at all.  No one else ever smells the odors that I have complained about, of course.  So, the other night, to test my theory, I went to bed, and upon waking up early in the morning...checked to see if I could smell the "fumes"....  Slightly, but not overwhelming.  THEN, I made a slight depression in my pillow, and breathed into it four or five times without using my nose to breathe in...I then smelled the area slowly...and WOW!  Overpowering fumes there in the pillow...exactly of the same scent as the diesel and sickening sweet moldy smells I have had over many months.  

Here is my major take away from this  (and of course I did this little experiment about 20 times, to make sure the odor was coming OUT OF ME)........that we may not all be 'hallucinating odors' , or having some other worldly sensing type of wierd experience...but we may actually be smelling a very strange odor from our own breath!!!  Maybe coming from lungs...or abdominal/gastric areas, or sinuses.    I remember times my wife would occasionally have 'acetone' breath in the morning, and I would be amazed at how it smelled just like nail polish remover...exactly.  She could breathe at me, and it would be pure acetone. It only happened four or five times over the years. We looked it up and found this is common and is explained in medical literature as a known breath abberation.

So this leads me to this conclusion...we may ALSO be 'manufacturing' the odor that we frequently smell, and we may smell and percieve different versions of the odor, depending on our internal bodily conditions.  I do NOT know what may be producing the odor...but I do believe it is real...and we are highly sensitive to smelling it.  Try the pillow test next time you wake up to the nasty fumes.....breathe a bit of your own breath back in...and see if it is very strong and more intense.  I also had several moderate head bump situatiuons in the past year....sports related, which many claim can cause phantosmia....but I also have frequent sinus allergies  (not infection)...and this has also been implicated in the medical sites.   So, let's see if anyone else out there can determine whether their phantom smells and fumes are being 'imagined'/ hallucinated......OR rather being just plain produced by our bodies...and sensed very acutely when we breathe it in.  That is likely why it comes and goes randomly...depending on our day to day physical condition.  

I think that if people can develop 'acetone' breath, as my wife has in the past, and that itself is a very noxious smell....and is accepted as being caused by metabolic changes in an individual....then we may be producing a breath scent in a very similar manner.  We may just smell and taste our own noxious scent being produced for some unknown reason!!!!  The smell that I breathed into my pillow was the EXACT fume smell, times ten!!!  It comes from inside of ME!!!
I know what you are going through some times it's so overpowering that it stings my eyes and I start having trouble breathing.  I think that part's due to reflex and my nose is telling my brain "exhaust bad", which tells my lungs don't breath in bad air around us.
However I wonder if it isn't due to the rebuilding of of my septum; which was over 7 years ago mind you.  So this has been going on for a very long time and I notice it more with the warmer weather. I hope we can all find an answer.
Yesterday I started to smell exhaust fumes, which, for a while thought they were but ..... Not so sure now.
Off on the past two days Inhave been aware of the smell.
Bizarre and a little worrying .... An earlier post written b someone who has developed cancer - and links the condition with cancer tumours.
help
I have noticed the exhaust/ smoke fume smells recently. Its driving me
crazy, but I am curious about the Phantom Smell diagnosis I have been
reading about. I fell a couple of weeks ago and broke 3 ribs I am on
Oxycodone for pain. Phantom smells are supposed to be caused by the
brain function Im really leaning towards this. Dr. recommended  a netty
pot flush I haven't tried this yet.
3 days ago at home I smelt an intense petrol smell which left my inner nostrils stinging. This was followed by me feeling light headed & extreme nausea like never before.
Yesterday in the supermarket I experienced exactly the same smell with mild nausea.
Please advise should I just ignore this
JS
I was struggling with leg cramping at night during the first episode of smelling "exhaust".  I also have severe restless leg syndrome in which I take medication for.  My doctor prescribed a potassium supplement for the leg cramping and it has gone away as long as I keep taking the potassium.  I have has several other episodes since my first one back in 2012.  I have been diagnosed with a hiatal hernia.  One doctor said it was caused by GERD another said it was a sinus infection. I have been using St. George NANO Silver (natural antibiotic) as a nasal spray when I have a an episode and it only lasts a couple of days now. I still don't have a definitive answer as to the cause.
Avatar n tn
I have had this on and off for years and has something to do with an infection in the Olfactory gland.  This gland lives in the sinus at the top and just under the brain. A nerve runs from it to the brain so we can smell things. If an infection gets bad enough it can be dangerous.  Please make an apt and go see an Ear, Nose and throat doctor.  Hopefully they will do a culture and put you on an antibiotic or antibiotic cream to take care of it.  It also might become seasonal and you may be developing allergies even though you never had them in the past. Hope this info helps.
Avatar n tn
I am going through this right now. In fact it got bad it made me vomit!!!!
Have you found anything out ?
Let me know,
Razbarre
Avatar n tn
Thats exactly what I did…I had my husband go out and buy a filter for the furnace. Unfortunately, it didn't change anything. I don't have the heart to tell him…it didn't help!!!
GERD, Have your doctor check for gallbladder problems, or Acid reflux. They can check with an ultra sound and blood work.
Alright I have it again the smell of exhaust fumes, came and gone a year ago after a month and now it's back. I was just diagnosed with a slightly low vitamin d level, maybe this is a key. So I don't know for sure if it is that or a combination of low potassium, magnesium, or iron. Have a little tingly feeling in fingers and toes also. Drink plenty of water, never smoked never did drugs or alcohol. Age 39 Male.
Add another to the list of smelling exhaust..  Been this way for 3 days now had it last year it went away and now it's back... :'(
I also have this problem of smelling exhaust fumes, just started 4 days ago, i just saw my doctor i have thrush and now taking medicine but i also have problem with my sinus so if this does not clear up by my next visit on july 2 them he will give me something for my sinus, something has to work for this it's awful
  I started to smell car exhaust fumes a few days ago and couldn't understand why n one else can.  Then I found this forum.  Has anyone come up with an answer yet.  Am now getting very concerned in case it is something serious.
I read all the comments as I had the same issue recently. I have been having allergy issues and thought maybe it was more. So last night I took an antibiotic, night time cold and nasal spray. I slept all night and woke up with no smell. I really think this is a sinus issue. Just thought you would like to know.
I really like your response, because I don't think this is my imagination or coming from something internal inside of me.. I also have burning and stinging eyes with it...so that would tell me it is something external.. Ihave had it for many years. I had it at my old apt, too. Also, when I open the windows on a windy day and air out my apt, I feel a lot better....
Me too! What did your doc say? Now that I see that others have experienced it, I will run it by my doc... everyone was looking at me like I'm crazy :p...
Some people in the home started saying that they thought there were ghosts so it occurred to me (since it started when we moved into our new home) that perhaps I should google spirits and such... I came across and actual medical explanation... yay!
Let's hope my doc can get to the bottom of it.
I have smelled fumes like alcohol coming from my arm pits after a sexual assault that left paralyzed muscles in my vagina for 3 weeks and someone told me it was ether from some military psychopath sexually assaulting and drugging men, women and children after breaking into their homes and cars and using something that makes them forget like truth serum
Avatar n tn
Do you have an uncapped bottle of DAWN dish soap sitting around?  (Perhaps other brands do the same - I don't know.)   It tends to smell like exhaust from a distance and it does burn the eyes for sure.  I hope that helps some of you.  I am very sensitive to smells and soon figure it out when I leave the Dawn uncapped.  It is even more widespread when the kitchen window is open - it blows it further through the house.  PS - Laptops and other PC's do give off exhaust type smells also - check it out.
I have the same. I smell exhaust all the time for weeks. I got myself spirulina to get rid of heavy metals in the body. Maybe that's causing it. Also I am doing a sinus cleanse and colon cleanse as all that is connected with a nose.
I also just started this issue with smelling an intense smell of gasoline engine exhaust.  This seems to be present about 25-75% of my day.  It seems to be most intense when I am sitting watching TV or at My computer.  2 different rooms.  

I read through many of the posts.  Thank you for all the people who posted. I will give many of the home remedies a try.  

My wife confirmed it wasn't in our house or me.

I made a visit to my doctor and they are doing some tests to determine the cause.  
Omg!! I'm so relieved to have found this website! I've been having phantom smell for about 6 months now although it started with a smell that was really hard to describe..almost like a garlicy/onion smell and it always seemed to get stronger if there was running water..taking a shower or doing dishes, etc. The smell is so strong it overpowers any other smell..perfume, air freshener..anything! EVERYTHING had this garlicy/onion smell. Well about 4 months ago I started smelling a different phantom smell..like burning pancakes..or that smell that lingers after cooking breakfast. Well just recently it's exhaust fumes! I' had pretty much convinced myself I had a brain tumor until I came across this website! I did have a pretty bad sinus infection  almost a year ago. I never went to the doctor but I couldn't smell or taste anything and I could hear the fluid in my ears when I would turn over..and I lost my voice for almost a week. But I was never congested? It was almost as if everything was on the inside?!  Well ever since then my smell and taste have not been the same. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Has anyone gotten a definite diagnosis?
I believe mine is from the actual absorption of gasoline through the skin.  I was working on my truck, pull the fuel line off and was sprayed with it.  I was wet with gas up to my elbows.  My shirt was sprayed as well.  I continued working for a couple more hours.  How long will I be tasting and smelling the gas I absorbed?  
Yesterday morning when I woke I smelled a strong odor. Within a few seconds I realized it was car exhaust fumes. I went in the kitchen, I smelled it there also. This is going into the second day. Its making me nauseated. Now a headache is creeping up. I began looking all through my bedroom, throughout the rest of the house. Even went outside walking the exterior of the whole place. Last year I moved in with a roommate into a mobile home. A month later there was a fire, we barley got out. We lost everything. Now I keep searching every plug, stove the hole drilled for the cable as I'm worried it may be something which could start a fire. This has been quite stressful all day but now since I am aware others are experiencing the same I can mentally rest. Making doctors appointment tomorrow. I asked a friend that stopped by, also my roommate, they both said they didn't smell it. At least I know I'm not going nuts...although if I cant get rid of this smell it could be a short trip. lol  well word back when I find out something. So thankful for this site.   bc
I have been having this same problem with smelling gas engine exhaust. My wife who has a sensitive nose, doesn't smell anything. I tried several things.  The smell comes and goes. It seems to start in the evening.  I tried several things to get rid of it.  
The things that worked for me were:  I went outside to breath fresh air and it stopped immediately.  After being back in the house awhile it would come back.  Since we live in Florida, l wondered if it was the dry air conditioned air.    The outside air is always damp.  
I tried to breath in steam from a hot cup of water. It stops the smell immediately.  However it does not last long.
Vitamin K-2 (Mk-7) 100 mcg daily cured my co-workers restless leg syndrome. As for the rest Candida (yeast/fungus) Overgrowth is most likely responsible for the breath and many other symptoms that may be going on at the same time or recently.  GERD, IBS, Acid Reflux, Water that causes Acid Reflux,  Migraine Headache (can be caused by) High Blood Pressure, Low Body Temperature, Nausea, Vomiting, Dripping Sinuses, and much more. In fact there are so many symptoms it seems that almost anything could be Candida. Candida usually starts out small and gets more aggressive over time especially with the help of antibiotics which allow it to flourish. It's important to find someone who really knows how to treat this because the longer you have it, the harder it is to get rid of. Over time it gets harder to test for as it gets deeper into the weak areas of your body. It's difficult to get under control and almost impossible to get rid of completely. If you suffer from this, and 1 in 3 people do, it's important to find someone who knows how to fight candida overgrowth and not just put you an a special diet with probiotics, because that won't help you when it gets so bad you can smell the chemicals it makes when it dies off.
Candida (yeast/fungus) Overgrowth is most likely responsible for the breath and many other symptoms that may be going on at the same time or recently.  GERD, IBS, Acid Reflux, Water that causes Acid Reflux,  Migraine Headache (can be caused by) High Blood Pressure, Low Body Temperature, Nausea, Vomiting, Dripping Sinuses, and much more. In fact there are so many symptoms it seems that almost anything could be Candida. Candida usually starts out small and gets more aggressive over time especially with the help of antibiotics which allow it to flourish. It's important to find someone who really knows how to treat this because the longer you have it, the harder it is to get rid of. Over time it gets harder to test for as it gets deeper into the weak areas of your body. It's difficult to get under control and almost impossible to get rid of completely. If you suffer from this, and 1 in 3 people do, it's important to find someone who knows how to fight candida overgrowth and not just put you an a special diet with probiotics, because that won't help you when it gets so bad you can smell the chemicals it makes when it dies off.
Interesting reading everyone's comments - Ive always had a good sense of smell - however after having all my teeth extracted in June 2014 it's become a nightmare.  For quite awhile I would swear someone was smoking a cigarette near me - even while sitting in my own house - we are non smokers - however the last couple of months I now feel like im living with my head inside a car exhaust.
It's driving me crazy - no-one else can smell it - we have gas appliances at home - these have checked out to be all ok - sort of knew it was as I now smell it in my car - at work and at various other times  - it's driving me insane - so i googled - why do i keep smelling carbon monoxide and almost leapt with joy to see that there are many others with the same issues.  I don't know why but it's only been since my teeth were done and i wear full dentures.
Thank you for sharing your posts. This was happening to me when I was in a lot of stress and it was good to find I was not alone. HERE IS WHAT HELPED ME!  I went to my CHIROPRACTOR and told him how I suffered for weeks. He adjusted my upper cervical vertebrae (atlas, occiput ) and my jaw. He gently held pressure  and tugged on the plates of my skull in a particular area and a certain direction.  WOW! Immediate relief. The smell started coming back the next day so I went back to him. He repeated the treatment and I have been EXHAUST SMELL FREE EVER SINCE! ( for months)  He is in Central Massachusetts at Hope Wellness and Rehab. If that isn't close to you, Try to find someone in someone in your area.  Good luck and may you be scent free soon!
I have been smelling exhaust fumes/carbon monoxide for a few weeks currently.  I have been prone to sinus infections for a few years now. The antibiotic Biaxin has been the solution for the sinus infections.  Actually this smell started about a month ago, as the sinus infection symptoms increased, headache fatigue, sore throat and chronic sinus drip.  While taking Biaxin for 20 days the smell was daily. My sinuses are clear, but the smell remains.   I have been off the Biaxin for 4 days.  
Avatar n tn
My smells started less than two weeks ago and it's really really hard to deal with
Avatar n tn
Viewing 201-216 comments: