Allergy Community
IGG Lab tests for angioedema

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

IGG Lab tests for angioedema

when I was in er for angioedema of my lip i dont remember what the dr said about my igg level.  If they are elevated does that mean that the angioedema is being caused by something being entered into my body or not?  Can you explain the basis for IGG?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The immunoglobulin or antibody titers are assessed in the blood and compare to normal levels. Raised levels usually indicate an infection or an allergic reaction. IgA is usually secreted  by mucous membranes, particularly those lining the respiratory passages and gastrointestinal tract, as well as in saliva and tears. IgG  the most abundant type of antibody, is found in all body fluids and protects against bacterial and viral infections. Allergic reactions are mediated by IgE antibodies, which are released on exposure to a particular allergen. So, raised levels of IgE indicate an allergic reaction.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.