Allergy Community
IgE levels

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

IgE levels

I want to understand IgE numbers better...(I did read the link to the Wikipedia information on IgE and it was somewhat helpful but didn't address the questions I have below...)

I was diagnosed with a wheat allergy 2 years ago and the IgE level was 1.56.
About 1 1/2 years ago I had it checked again and it was 1.72.
I went in last week and it was 1.27.

Are these numbers indicative of a mild allergy? I don't have the scale which shows what the numbers mean. Do IgE numbers fluctuate? If I were to get tested twice within a two week period could I have widely variable results?

This is probably a dumb question but let's say I continued to eat a moderate amount of wheat would the IgE number keep getting higher?

Thanks for any information and/or links

If IgE is Immunoglobulin E, I start to have asthma breathing problems when my Immunoglobulin E is between 250.0 - 300.0. Higher than that for me starts to get very serious.
I think the number will fluctuate if IgE is produced when you are reacting. I believe no exposure low or no IgE, high exposure to allergy higher lever of IgE. I've always wanted to know how high my levels go during an actual emergency. Never had a chance to pull blood at that moment before medicating. I think I will pull blood during my next allergy testing when the histamine is going wild out of curiosity.
With me having a level of only 1.72 at my highest, it doesn't make sense. Because at that level I would get real nauseous right when I put a piece of bread in my mouth. I would think that with that kind of reaction I would have to be at least over 50 for my IgE level. Does anyone have a scale that shows what the number corresponds to in levels of severity? (e.g. 1-10 mild, 10-50 moderate, 50-200 severe, etc.)

It might not be IgE that causes your problem. For example. I am allergic to lots of things. Some things trigger mucus to be released and others trigger asthma. I think the histamine is there in both cases but the IgE is definitely involved with sinus mucus. I'm not a doctor but maybe IgE is not it. Maybe it was tryptase number of 1.72. Sorry. My test sheet shows that my level was closer to 300 and my girlfriend tests show a total of 5. I think it depends on the person and how they react. Whether the reaction is local or systemic. My reactions are systemic lots of times. Maybe someone else has a better answer.

The best thing you can do is ask the doctor that ran this blood work on you to explain it. And ask for a copy of your results which usually include a scale next to the reading. Just like you listed, mild, moderate, severe, ect...
It should state what the ranges mean on your copy of the lab work. :) If you don't have a copy ask for one. :)