Allergy Community
Immune to Allergy medicine

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Immune to Allergy medicine

I have been taking Singulair and Zyrtec since February of 08. Before this I had been using Albuterol inhaler. I have been to my Doctor numerous times about this. I have had X-rays, and lung scan done. And recently it seems that my allergy medicine is not lasting as long as it use to. I take 1 Zyrtec 10 mg pill a day and 1 Singulair pill a day. I do not use anything else on a regular basis. Is it possible that the medicines aren't as effective, cause I have been taking them so long?

I can tell when they are wearing off, as I will start coughing and weezing. My throat feels like it is constricting, and it gets hard to breath. I keep hoping it will go away. I have never had allergy problems before, and they didn't start until February.

decrease in the effectiveness of the medicine is a distinct possibility. this may be due to continued usage of the same drug for some time. the dosage may also be a cause whereby the dosage of the medicine may not be adequate according to the weight and built of the person.

this may be corrected by using some other anti-allergic medicine for the time being as there are many options available and you may find similar effectiveness in some of them.

one way to prevent this condition is something called as "drug holiday", whereby the doctors stop the medication for a short period of time during the stable period of a patients condition, so as to enable the receptors of that drug to "recharge".

hope this helped and let us know if you need any more help.

best regards