Allergy Community
Increased SGPT & SGOT

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Increased SGPT & SGOT

Hi Doc

Three months ago i was detected with HEP A ( HEP B, HEP C, HEP E, HIV 1 & 2 was negative) and SGPT & SGOT level was 124 & 66, bilirubin is 1.4 (dir 0.2 & indir 1.2) , after three months i'v gone for again a LFT, Test result shown SGPT & SGOT 95 & 63 and Bilirubin is 1.7 (dir 0.4 & indir 1.3).
So is there any indication of severe liver disease or a sign of gillberts disease?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The SGPT and SGOT values are normalizing. But the bilirubin is still raised. It may be taking longer for the bilirubin value to settle down. So, repeat your test after 4 weeks. If it persists or if the values are increasing, then the persisting raised bilirubin could be due to other causes. So, wait and watch. In the meantime you could follow certain precautions. Avoid smoking and alcohol. Avoid drugs like paracetamol and sedatives. Get vaccinated for hepatitis B. Take a good protein diet.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
HI Doc

one think i forgot to mention, 1 n half year bear before i was detected with HSV 2 and took medicine (Aciclovir 800 mg half tab twice daily) for one year now i am quite fine. so is there any effect of that long term medicine to liver?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Elevated liver function tests is a side effect of long term therapy with acyclovir. This could be the reason for your raised levels. As you have stopped therapy now, the levels should normalize. Repeat your test after 4 weeks.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thnx doc thnx alot
hello doc,
I was diagnosed with breast ca and is receiving herceptin for 7 mos. my SGPT elevated to 181. what shall I do? the doctor gave me medicine for dyspepsia.. Is he right?