Infected splinter
I was pulling weeds Feb 7th when several tiny sharp hairs from the plant dug into my thumb. I could feel them but could never see anything at the surface enough to pull anything out. 4 days later I woke up with swollen painful thumb. Went to the Dr, she did uric acid test to see if it was gout which it was not so she gave me full course of antibiotics and NSAIDs.
It helped after the fisrt couple days but then went right back to how it was. It's still very swollen, painful to the touch, very stiff.
Will it eventually just go away on it's own? There's no way to dig anything out or even see anything. The hairs were microscopic...amazing how bad it hurts.
I know this seems maybe silly but my grandma (105 yr old!) put honey on my finger one time when I got splinters.  Wrapped it overnight and the next day the splinters were on the surface.  I know, wierd, but ya have nothing to lose.  It won't hurt you and she is 105 for some reason.
Home remedy....... Bacon Bandage, might seem strange, but the old tymers swear by it!  Cook a piece of bacon, not crispy, tear off a small piece and lay it over the area cover the bacon with an adhesive bandage or piece of tape and leave it over night, the next morning the bacon should have worked its magic and enough of the splinter or HAIR in your cause should be exposed to easily extract it with tweezers, or possibly bare fingers. Good luck!