Allergy Community
Intense and constant itch on lips and under fingernails/toenails

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

I get an intense itchy feeling simultaneously under my fingernails, toenails, and on my lips.  It is constant, but sometimes it's worse than others and when it is bad it keeps me from being able to sleep.  I have had this problem since at least my early teens (I'm in my 40s now), but it has only become this intense and constant over the past few years.  Before that, it did not affect my lifestyle at all, but now I am losing a lot of sleep.

I have seen doctors about this and they have not been able to find a reason or solution.  A dermatologist suggested it might be a fungus, but the cream they gave me did nothing (and if it's a nail fungus, then why the itchy lips too?).  A neurologist ran some tests that found nothing.  An allergist found that I had a few normal allergies (cats, dust mites) but nothing that would explain this.  Because I have a history of anxiety, most doctors just chalk it up to that, but would anxiety symptoms be this acute and intense and constant, to the point where this is waking me up from a dead sleep and causing me to writhe in frustration trying to make the sensation go away?

A few other things that may be relevant: I suffer from migraines and take Excedrin for them.  I'm pretty sure I have an allergy to something in the Excedrin (I get itchy/hives/short of breath when I take it), but it's the only thing I've been able to find so far that helps the headaches.  The fingernail/toenail/lip symptoms do seem to increase somewhat when I've gone through a period where I've been taking a lot of Excedrin, but it's not a very clear/obvious correlation.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as this is having a major impact on my quality of life.  Thank you!