Allergy Community
Intradermal testing and candida reaction?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

I'm going through the "joy" of having intradermal testing done. The one patch they do is a Candida patch. Apparently, this is supposed to test your immune system function or somesuch and everyone reacts unless they have a compromised immune system.

Anyway, how long is the reaction supposed to last and how severe? Anyone know?

They told me when it was done that the spot would continue to develop. I was expecting a red, possibly itchy, bump. Ummmm... no. What I got was a patch about the size of a quarter full of painful blisters. Even my clothing brushing against it would hurt. And its still there after a week. The redness around it has gone down considerably. At one point, there was a 3" wide red welt around the blisters. The pain has gone away but the blisters itch like crazy all the time.

Is this normal?

Thanks!

It would be very difficult to comment anything without having a look at the lesion. You need to get it examined by your doctor at the earliest and also ask him/her if any antiallergic or antihistamine medications need to be taken.

You would probably also need to rule out a candida infection - talk to your doctor about that too.

The reaction lasts for a variable period of time and severity also varies from one person to another.

Let us know if you have any other doubts or queries.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.