Allergy Community
Iodine allergy?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Iodine allergy?

I am a nurse and have a long history of exposure to iodine as I have spent many years in wound care. My exposure the past few years has been limited.  I recently got one drop of iodine on my skin and my heart began to race significantly (not related to anxiety of any sort).  I also recently got hives after I ate some tortilla chips that contained seaweed.  My allergist thought it could be an iodine allergy because (he said) it was like my natural adrenaline kicking in after the drop got on my skin.  I am very cautious now, but confused as to the things I should avoid.  Many weight loss drinks and power bars say they contain iodine and I have heard there are many different types.  What should I avoid?  I really want to try a weight loss program like Medifast, but it contains potassium iodide.  Is there a RAST for this?
Thank you in advance for your help.
Hi, welcome to the forum, few of the individuals are known to be allergic to iodine. In such cases Iodine is contraindicated. Hence, you need to avoid foods rich in iodine like seafood, seaweed, kelp, dairy products etc. You also need to prevent iodine preparations or compounds like potassium iodide.

You can go for diets which contains very low iodine like egg whites, fresh meat, frozen and fresh vegetables, unsalted and raw steamed vegetables etc. You should not go for weight loss diet program containing potassium iodide. I suggest you to consult dietitian for further advice.

Hello Dr. Rajput, thank you so much for responding.  Wow, I was surprised to see I am supposed to avoid dairy.   Is it the carrageenan in the dairy that I am avoiding?  
Again, many thanks.
My infant son had surgery where they used iodine. He had a very strong reaction to it causing him to swell and have red blotches all over his body. He also acted like his throat hurt. The ER doctor told me that he is allergic to the iodine and that he should avoid shellfish. But recently I have read that is a myth. What could I do to see if this shellfish allergy is also linked to his obvious iodine allergy?