Allergy Community
Is this a sulpha drug?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Is this a sulpha drug?

I am allergic to sulfa drugs - is the antibiotic cephalexin (Keflex) one of these?
No, it's not a sulfa drug.  I am allergic to sulfa drugs and apparently this as well.  But cephalexin is in the penicillin family.
Avatar dr f tn
How are you? Sulfa drug is a class of synthetic chemical substances derived from sulfanilamide, or para-aminobenzenesulfonamide. Sulfa drugs are used to treat bacterial infections, although they have largely been replaced for this purpose by antibiotics.
Cephalexin, on the other hand, is a first-generation cephalosporin antibiotic. It is a useful alternative to penicillins in patients with penicillin hypersensitivity.

I hope this helps. Take care.