Allergy Community
Is this an allergy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Is this an allergy

Since my becoming an adult, I have had a problem with what we have always referred to as post nasal drainage.At times, this thick mucus drains into my throat and I am constantly trying to get it clear. Sometime I go for weeks with no problem. During that period, my nose constantly runs (mildly)
My wife is now having the same problem with a thick mucus in her throat.
We are both in our seventies.
We are going though a drought here in the south and of course now are entering early fall.
She has not been bothered with it near as much as me in the past but now we are both suffering with it.
Is this an allergy? What can we do?
She is considering an air purifier, but we are outdoors as much as in.

All these symptoms are leading to the possibility  of chronic post nasal drip. Post-nasal drip is mucus accumulation in the back of the nose and throat leading to, or giving the sensation of, mucus dripping downward from the back of the nose. Post-nasal drip can be caused by excessive or thick secretions, or impairment in the normal clearance of mucus from the nose and throat.

Various causes for chronic post nasal drip are allergies,viral infections,deviated nasal septum,chronic sinusitis,adenoid enlargement and diseases like sarcoidosis and GERD.

If it is caused by allergies,then avoidance of the allergen is the best treatment.Mostly,this allergen is air borne like pollen,dust mites,molds etc.To reduce them in your home, remove drapes, feather pillows, upholstered furniture, non-washable comforters and soft toys. Replace carpets with linoleum or wood. Vacuum with heap filtered vacuum cleaners,Wash all bedding in hot water every 7 to 10 days. Don't use mattress pads. Cover mattress and pillows with plastic covers. Lower the humidity in your home and maintain/clean dehumidifiers and air conditioners and air filtering devices regularly.

If the symptoms persist,then pls discuss these options with an ENT specialist and get yourself and your wife thoroughly examined.

Hope it helps.Take care and regards.