Allergy Community
Itching allergy from cefpodoxime proxetil tablet

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

I faced this problem a year ago, when I suffered from viral infection. I was given the above mentioned drug, First OR second dose was OK but after that suddenly lot of rashes all over my body with itching throught the body, I discussed with many doctors of my area but of no use & I stopped taking it, incidently my fever was also over. But yesterday I suffered from similar viral infection. I went to doctor again & he gave me this drug first dose it was OK, but second dose onward same itching problem throughout my body but this time without any rashes, Itching is light but spread throughout my body & i am unable to sleep in night. Could you please help me on this.
Hi, welcome to the forum, adverse cutaneous reactions to drugs are common encountered now a days esp. if the person has an allergic past history. It is quite evident that you are allergic to penicillins. Such allergy is seen in as high as 10% of patient ranging from mild rash to severe reactions and depends on the body's magnitude of sensitization to such drugs.

Patients who are allergic to penicillins should avoid all penicillins. Other groups of antibiotics that contain a beta-lactam structure similar to that of amoxicillin or ampicillin, include the cephalosporins, carbapenems, and monobactams. As you you have been given cefpodoxime proxetil which is a Cephalosporin and can also cause such allergic reaction (cross reactivity).

The allergic reaction keeps on worsening unless the offending drug is discontinued.

Hence, the line of management would be-
- Discontinue the cefpodoxime proxetil
- Adding of oral anti histamine and corticosteroids against prescription will help subside the allergic reaction
- Avoid future use of above mentioned antibiotics

I suggest you to consult physician. Take care and regards.