Allergy Community
Itching myself mad!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Itching myself mad!!

I'm driving myself crazy...I have a rash all over my body.  Not covering my whole body, but rather scattered tiny red bumps in no particular pattern. I first noticed it about a 5-6 weeks ago, as a few tiny itchy bumps on my right arm.  Didn't think much of it at first, just thought it maybe was a viral thing, since I had a 2 day bout with  sore throat and swollen glands just prior to noticing it. About 2 weeks ago, I noticed the original spots went away, but I got a really itchy patch on my right wrist, along the medial side of my wrist.  I scratched so much I scabbed.  When the itching got worse I stared taking Allegra and Pepcid, and hydrocortisone cream since it started showing up other places too, which only provided minor relief.  Then I wondered if I had bed bugs or scabies (I'm a nurse in a busy ER), or an allergy to my detergent, so I changed to All Free and Clear Detergent/Fabric Softener and washed all my bedding and clothes in hot water and dried them in the dryer on high.  Also got a mattress cover, and pillows and pillow covers. But the rash is getting worse.  Saw my PMD yesterday morning, he diagnosed it as folliculitis and is concerned about CA-MRSA b/c one of the tiny bumps got red and swollen, so he took a swab.  So I've been taking for the past 36 hours: Augentin BID (allergic to Bactrim), Pepcid BID, Atarax TID, Bactroban ointment to the spots I scratched open BID as well as my daily meds (Synthroid 50mcg ad omeprazole 20mg).  New spots are popping up everywhere--forearms, underarms, back, stomach, buttocks..and the itching is worse!  No fever, no pus drainage anywhere....I even got the doc to give me permethrin cream just in case) and used that yesterday...aaarrrggghhhhh...what else can I do besides cool showers....can I be missing something here???
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? How was the culture and sensitivity result? Do you still have the symptoms that you mentioned? Aside from  allergy, viral exanthem and infection, underlying medical conditions may also be ruled out including anemia, liver and kidney diseases. Antihistamine and complementary and alternative medicine such as acupuncture may also help. Take care and do keep us posted with the swab result. Best regards.