Itchy Tongue - undiagnosed in child
My 7 year old daughter is suffering from an extremely itchy tongue on and off for 2 years. The doctors are calling her a "medical mystery." She has been to a dentist, an oral surgeon, 2 allergists (one being the Chief of Allergy at Children's Hosp in Boston). No one can find any reason for this problem. The allergists say that they have never heard of a person that has only an itchy tongue with no other complaints. All her skin allergy tests were negatives upon both visits one year apart. We have tried benadryl, zyrtec, flovent. The PCP is thinking perhaps it is Oral Allergy syndrome, but also feels that it is not a typical case because she tested negative for the common allergens associated with this syndrome. Next week we are seeing an ENT. It comes and goes and seems to be gone all winter. We also tried keeping a food diary for a while but found no consistencies there. She has undergone two sets of blood tests and all is okay there. She cries a lot and is misery. When she is suffering, she scratches her tongue using her teeth which then creates white sores on her tongue. Nothing helps and no one has been able to diagnose the problem. My husband and I are heartbroken. We don't know how to help her. She often says she wishes someone would just remove her tongue.

If you have any information, please pass it on to me.
Thank you so much!
Jody
I have the same problem with my son. It started last fall and he complained of an itchy tongue , next thing I knew he had sores on it from what we believe is rubbing it on his teeth. I have taken him to numerous different specialists and know one has been able to tell me what it is... but in full force he is up all night in pain and has missed countless days of school and does not eat. It returned in the spring for a much shorter time and was fine all summer. Now it is september and he has just told me his tongue is starting to itch again. I just don't know what to do.
Is there a possibility that these children have oral thrush - i.e. candida in the mouth? It doesn't show up on most blood tests.