Allergy Community
Itchy chicken-like skin

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Itchy chicken-like skin

I recently have a chicken-like skin on my arms and thigh especially at night. It is very itchy and little bit red and seems develop to a larger area.. I notice there is a white head on the tip as well. really dont know what is it.. I have been taking antibiotics (a week) and cetirizine (one month) and isotrotinoin (few months time) for a while. That is strange as I assume cetirizine should help anti-allergy as doctor prescribed to me when I had other allergy on my skin - it occurs when my skin have pressure on it and it goes red and itchy, when you scatch it, it swells a big piece. But this seems to stop after Im on cetirizine - however, other skin allergy comes up! So annoying!

I cannot confirm without examination,but it can be due to dyshidrotic eczema. It appears as intensely itchy bumps on the hands, fingers and soles of the feet. When it affects the hands it’s called cheiropompholyx.

It may be set off by extreme temperatures, stress, sweating, medication, clothing (especially wool or silk), grease, oils, soap and detergents, and environmental allergens. Dryness is perhaps the most important trigger. Drying soaps should be avoided, and the skin should be moisturized frequently.Stomach problems are rarely a trigger.

Application of corticosteroid creams is helpful.Oral antihistaminics like benadryl or Claritin are useful in itch control and sometimes oral steroids are prescribed. You can also take antihistaminics like Claritin and apply calamine lotion on the bumps.Patients with severe eczema may benefit from phototherapy (light treatment).

Pls discuss these options of treatment with your dermatologist.Other possibility is of keratosis pilaris.
Hope it helps. Take care and pls do keep me posted if you have any additional queries.

Yes i do recently go to freezer for sampling which is at temperature of -25 deg..only for a while less than 5 minutes.. I have it on my back of hand too..today seems ok not itchy not red but still can see rough skin..wiv little bumps on..