Allergy Community
Just Gas?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Just Gas?

Over the past 3 months I have suffered once or twice a week from a severe, sharp stabbing pain under lower left side of my left rib cage.  It is so severe that it is nearly unbearable.  It comes on quickly usually in the morning but has happened at different times of the day as well.  Pushing on the area makes it worse and the pain will last any where from 20 minutes to 2 hours.  I thought it may be gas, (even though I never thought gas pain could possibly be so severe) so I've been taking 2 GasX pills as soon as the pain starts.  Again, it will last a relatively short period of time up to 2 or more hours so I'm not sure if the gas medicine is helping or not. It doesn't seem to be food related because sometimes I've eaten and sometimes I haven't.  Once the severe pain passes, I am sometimes sore for a few days afterwards.  I hate to go to the Dr. for something as simple as gas and I don't want to suffer through a dozen tests but it is beginning to effect my quality of life.  I do suffer from anemia and have been treated for that for the past year and my b12 and iron levels have been good for many months now.  I am a smoker also. Any ideas or similar symptoms that have been diagnosed?

Hello Leigh,

Just finished reading your comments. I would suggest that you do make an
appointment with your family doctor. If this pain is effecting your quality of
life, you need some answers. You say this pain has been going on for three
months. If this pain is severe and unbearable, you need to be seen by your
doctor. I wish you well.   Eve