Allergy Community
Lifetime Sinus Problems

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Lifetime Sinus Problems

Like the title states I've been bothered by various sinus problems for most of my life (I'm currently 31). I've been told by doctors that I have anything from allergies to dust to rhinitis and most recently that I don't have an allergy at all but a severe intolerance to a few different things. My sinus problems have typically been runny nose, sneezing, sinus pressure and pain, occasional headaches, itchy eyes, and recently a severe cough. My problem is determining the trigger for the these things. I live near Chicago and it would seem that weather plays a big role as I'm primarily affected when it makes drastic changes like drops in temp of 30 degrees from day to night, sometimes by rain, and most commonly when the air conditioner or heat is turned on and off. I find I typically need to acclimate to these changes for at least a day or two, which can be a problem in my area of the country since the weather can change dramatically in that period of time. I almost constantly have a humidifier running in my bedroom and I find that if I take a short shower and the bathroom doesn't have time to steam up then I can feel an almost immediate change in my sinuses upon leaving the shower. I've tried to keep a routine but it seems harder and harder to keep in check as I get older. What used to be a single day or two day runny nose or sinus infection is now a week long fiasco. The cough is what worries me the most since its the newest and hardest symptom to deal with. I've tried all the prescription allergy meds and none seem to work. Benadryl gives me some relief. I also have pretty severe dermatographia  and other skin intolerances which seems to only respond to Benadryl. I've even gone so far as to make my own soap. I suppose my question is that since none of the allergy treatments seem to have an effect, is it possible that I'm just looking in the entire wrong direction? Can the problem be entirely unrelated to any allergy? I keep a clean house and have replaced all the carpet with hard flooring to help avoid dust and other common things that affect my sinuses but I can't seem to completely lock down the more weather or barometric related causes. I believer that's all the problems I can think of at the moment related to my sinuses. ANy help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I have the same unfortunate problem. I have a sinus headache at least once a week and I cough constantly. They doctors have told me that I dont have asthma or anything wrong with me except for ALLERGIES.  I live on the coast of NC and its humid here all the time. My family is so tired of hearing me complain and have even suggested that living in the west where there are hardly any allergies may be the answer for me. All I can say is hang in there...thats my plan...
I have the same identical issues. Went to an Allergist and had the tests.  I am not allergic to a single thing.   december is always bad due to the flucuation of temps.  Nothing helps.  I use over the counter sinus products and put Vicks on my throat and chest at night.  One day I feel okay and the next I'm miserable.  I wish I knew what to do.