Allergy Community
Lightheaded, ears feel full/clogged

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Lightheaded, ears feel full/clogged

About 15 days ago, I got really lightheaded(I'm dizzy but nothing is moving, It feels like I'm moving) and my ears felt full/clogged. I thought maybe it was allergies, so I started taking Claritin. The lightheadedness when away after a couple of days but my ears still felt full/clogged. And now I'm starting to get lightheaded again. Maybe it's not allergies? Maybe the medicine isn't strong enough?

The first time I got dizzy/lightheaded was in late November 2010. It was so bad I couldn't move without feeling sick. I had to stay in my bed and try not to move. It got so bad I went to the ER because I don't have insurance so I can't afford to go to a doctor. They took test for anemia and blood pressure and all they said that was wrong with me was that I was dehydrated. So they hooked me up to an IV and after I went home I felt fine. I started drinking at least 8 glasses of water a day so that I wouldn't get dehydrated again. About 2 1/2 weeks later, it came back.

What happens is I get lightheaded(when I move my head I feel like I'm spinning), I feel like I have pressure on the back of my head, I can't focus, My body feels so tired, I get headaches, I get hot flashes sometimes, My ears start feeling full/clogged (every time I swallow I can hear them pop), (Sometimes I feel like something is put over my ears because I can't hear as well as I could like a minute ago and then sometimes everything just sound really loud, louder than it really is.) My head feels like it weighs a ton, I can't sit up for long times.

It usually happens every month or so, sometimes sooner or sometimes later. Some months when it happens it doesn't get as bad, I start to feel slightly lightheaded but as long as I take it easy and don't move fast, It's manageable and it will last a couple of days. But I still have to stay home because I get so scared that if I go anywhere it will get worse. Other times it gets so bad, I have to stay in bed for a couple of days because I can't move without feeling dizzy. Then once I can start sitting up my body takes a day or two to stop feeling weak.

I would love to know what's wrong with me, because it's taken over my life. It's giving me anxiety. I'm scared to go anywhere, because I don't know when it's going to happen or how bad it's going to be this time. I just want my life back.

Oh, and I'm 22.

Please help!
I don't have insurance so I would rather not go to the doctor unless I really have too.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Your symptoms could be due to Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV), which is an entity in which with movement of the head the person is likely to get dizziness. This happens because of a disorder of the labyrinth system in the inner ear. It can get affected due to head injuries, surgeries, nerve inflammations and as a side effect to medications. In a majority of cases the cause is not known. It is diagnosed by a physical examination and sometimes blood tests, a CT and MRI and audiology tests can further help with diagnosis. Therapy is with diazepam and OTC meclizine. Other measures which help are elevating the head end of the bed, drinking plenty of fluids, avoiding sudden movements of the head and taking precautions with driving during an attack. Please consult your primary care physician who will do an initial clinical assessment and then may refer you to a neurologist.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.