Allergy Community
Lingering Sore Throat After Allergic Reaction

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

I have recently developed what (I suspect) is a severe tree nut allergy.  I was in the ER last week with an anaphylactic reaction.  Since then I have gotten an epi pen, am on steroids, trying an elimination diet, etc.  My current concern is that my throat is still very raw, swollen, and painful feeling.  It still feels like I have a lump in it, sometimes more than others.  Is this normal following a severe allergic reaction?  It has gotten a little better, but doesn't really feel close to normal yet.  Then again, it has only been a week.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Should I just wait it out?  Is this even related to my allergic reaction?  I am having trouble getting any real answers on this from doctors.  Any help would be appreciated.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The throat swelling which could have occurred due to the allergy, namely angioedema, could be causing your persisting symptoms. The swelling might take time to settle down. It may take about 3-4 weeks to completely settle down. In the meantime if you develop fever or throat pain or worsening of the swelling, please consult your doctor. Repeated salt water gargles will help. Mix one teaspoon of salt in 1 cup of warm water and gargle. Please ensure to do this prior to your meals.  

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thank you for the advice!  It actually ended up being thrush caused by all the steroids I was given for my reaction.  I am taking oral Nystatin now and am able to swallow much easier.  Its still good to know that the swelling can actually take that long to go all the way down though.  I was beginning to worry it was really abnormal so now I will know for next time.
Ouch!

Glad you got an answer for this .. I agree with above Dr about it lasting 2-3 weeks if true allergy .. my daughter was on Benadryl for weeks after a bee sting reaction

C~