Allergy Community
Lip problems!
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Lip problems!

About three years ago, I developed an allergic reaction to lip balm. I had discovered 'YES TO CARROTS' about six months prior, and had used it religiously since I liked it so much. I had chapped, ugly lips ((the redness extending well past my lips and onto my face)) for over a year. I felt desperate, and that I looked awful.

It went away all of a sudden, and I was both relieved and mystified. Since then I've always been kinda careful around my lips; like if I put on a lot of costume makeup and have to take it off I don't scrub too much or put too much on to begin with. Around May of this year I got the problem again, but I purchased some Lasinoh lanolin to use, since I read that it helped a lot with the process of healing chapped lips. And it did; within a week I was back to normal once more.

I have a known allergy to sunscreen, the ingredient that's the culprit, however, I'm not sure of. Thinking this was the problem with my lip balm, I tried to avoid getting one that had any SPF in it. Just a few days ago I purchased the eos-brand lip balm in the sweet mint. I had researched their site and saw that the only flavor that had anything to do with sunscreen in it was the lemonade one. Pleased with myself that I could use this chapstick, I did. The next day I developed the same kind-of rash I'd gotten with the yes to carrots balm. Tiny white and red bumps similar to pimples but much smaller were just around the edge of my lips; not on my skin, but still on my lips. They don't hurt but they feel bumpy obviously, and when I touch them with my tongue they feel a little raw.

I don't know what I'm allergic to in lip balm, and I'm starting to feel that self-conscious 'i look awful people can see every single bump' feeling again. Has anyone else successfully combated this? Will the Lasinoh stuff help here? I've been taking benadryl to try and quell the allergic reaction, but it's not helping as fast as I'd like it to, obviously. ):

Please help!
Tags: lips, lip problem, rash, Skin, redness, bumps, reaction, lip balm allergy