Allergy Community
Liver test

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Liver test

My friend did the liver function test and CBC count. The results are Bilirubin 6.92 mg/dl, SGPT-1492 and SGOT- 256 ALP- 580.

What will be the diagnosis or cause.

Eyes are yellow and loss of appetite are the symptoms and he had vomtion 3 times.
  • allergy (1 replies):
    what field in medicine or who doctor to go to have sgpt ...[more]
  • SGPT higher range (1 replies):
    Is SGP range of <15 to 50 than normal range is dangerous...[more]
  • SGOT / SGPT Test (1 replies):
    Dear Dr's, I am aged 34 years, recently i went for a...[more]
  • sgot and sgpt (4 replies):
    my sgot is 77.0 u/l and sgpt is 87.8 u/l is this normal ...[more]
  • SGPT (5 replies):
    i have 126 SGPT what should i do to control it the natur...[more]
he s suffering frm Jaundice. consult any of the Gastro specialist.
Hi, welcome to the forum. Plasma levels of aspartate and alanine aminotransferases (AST [SGOT] and ALT [SGPT]) are routinely measured to assess liver function.

Normally SGPT level is below 40 IU/L.  SGPT and SGOT is marker of liver diseases or liver conditions. The liver conditions are hemochromatosis, methotrexate- or amiodarone-induced hepatic injury, chronic hepatitis C virus infection, post-jejuno-ileal bypass and nonalcoholic and alcoholic fatty liver disease.  Usually in such conditions the levels are above 500 IU/L. Your bilurubin levels are also quiet high which suggests probable liver pathology. Type of liver pathology needs further analysis by liver biopsy and as well as radio imaging.

Other conditions like celiac disease, Hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism, Adrenal insufficiency and certain antibiotics use can increase the level marginally, hence unlikely.

He needs to consult gastroenterologist for assessment of SGPT levels. Take care and regards.