Allergy Community
Living with CMV, Cytomegalovirus, HELP!!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

I was recently diagnosed with Cytomegalovirus (CMV). I have read up on the virus to educate myself but there is still so much I don't understand. My main problem is that the symptoms are whipping me daily. My main symptoms are: chronic fatigue, nightly low-grade fevers (99.5 F to 100.5 F), loss of appetite, and night sweats. I am a teacher and school will be starting soon. I just don't know how I am going to manage my routine. With no treatment for CMV, my doctor has me on Phenergan for my nausea and Prevacid for the stomach upset. The Phenergan knocks me out even if I only take a half tablet. Yet I have to take at least half a tablet to get past the nausea. Even without the medicine, my fatigue is getting the better of me. I can wake up at 6am and by the time noon comes around I feel like it's 2am and that I am way past my bedtime. Are there any herbal supplemenmts or medicines that can help me, or do I need to start drinking 5 Red Bulls a day to stay awake? I am so frustrated. Sometimes it's like having morning sickness all day long except for the fact that I am not pregnant. I can't eat anything hot. When I can eat, I have to be very careful to stop before I am full or my food sits high in my stomach and I feel miserable the rest of the day. I need to know if there are any dietary changes I can make to give myself more energy so that I can combat this chronic fatigue. What can someone overridden with CMV symptoms do? How do I function?

Is it the upset stomach causing your nausea? Beings that your food "sits high in your stomach" is this due to slow digestion?
I've read that Papaya (find chewables at Puritan's Pride) helps with digestion.
Further, I would look into a good multi-vit w/mineral. Of course, some supplements may interact with certain medicines and so, you'd want to look into it.

I did a quick google search regarding your condition and was suprised to read that most of us have had this, though usually it is mild and we never know it.

From the sounds of it, you need plenty of rest and a real boost for your immune system.
This isn't a quick fix but think it'll help with your health over-all and that is with a juicer. I just recently purchased a "Nutri Source 1000" juicer and am really impressed with it.
In one glass of juice, I have: 6 carrots, 1 celery, beet, Kale, handful of spinach and half handful of cabbage. A "super" drink and it tastes mostly like carrots (in other words, not bad at all!). A lazy way to get all the nutrition of all of the above.

A glance at nutritional value of certain foods:  http://www.whfoods.com/foodstoc.php

On amazon, I see books geared for juicers with recipes for certain conditions. Of course, I'm sure like all things: "fixes" are debatable.

A high protein diet is in order, for energy.

As for night sweats, make sure that your bedding and clothing are "breathable." All cotton. This isn't a cure but certain materials (including foam toppers) can aggravate it.

I know this isn't much help. Hopefully others who have dealt with either this medical condition or it's symptoms will be of help.
I hope you feel better, sooner rather than later.

Get plenty of rest.

That's right, forgot about ginger! See here: http://www.umm.edu/altmed/ConsHerbs/Gingerch.html
Thanks for the comments. I saw my doctor yesterday and he told me that in addition to CMV, I also have EBV (Epstein-Barr virus). The doc said the nightly fever is from my immune system doing its job (that's the simple explanation). The night sweats come from the nightly fever. I do sleep on Egyptian cotton sheets with a high per cal, I think they're 450.

My mother gave me some herbal supplements made of papaya and pineapple extracts. It seems to help if I take one before each meal.

The doc said these symptoms will last for the next two to three months. I'm a teacher, "rest" is not part of my vocabulary! In the words of Charlie Brown....UGGGHHHHHHH!!!

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia but found out I have cmv, parvovirus and varicella zoster. I see Dr. Dantini in Ormond Beach, Florida. You can look him up on the internet. I am presently on an antiviral and also on an elimination/rotation diet due to many food allergies. These allergies are caused by the viruses. Previously I have tried many natural remedies which did nothing. Look up Dr. Dantini. www.4fibromyalgia.com Good luck. I have been unable to work for the past two years due to debilitating fatigue. Jana
what you have is call CFIDS. CMV & EBV turns into Chronic Infection, I have it. You may want to check for HHV 6 as well.

These virus will turn your body into CFIDS. Why it effects some people, and why not others, simple, your body & genetics.

Doctors have no idea why for some people it comes and go and while others it turns into CFIDS.

At this point , what you need to do is simple , " Do Not Stress " , This will make chronic infection even harder.

** Do not stress , and do whatever you need to get your immune system boost ***

DO a lympocyte panel

I agree with everything you said. Well put.
I have just found out I have CMV with mononucleosis. My energy is so sever I called a friend who sees a hemo doc. and found this out. He prescribed Valtex 1GM twice a day.  I feel so much better yet I have a problem my insurance picking up the second dose I need. This worked for me maybe for some of you out there. Take your liquid vitamins and I ordered liquid cal-mag. Eating a taking care of you health will help you. Make you veggie juice and what ever works to help you immune system. Drinking caffeinated drinks will drain you ask your doctor for Adderal to help with your energy during the day if this causes you to stay awake. When you feel better get off slowly you can become dependent on this. Now I don't have to take Adderal anymore. Yet I still get some of those weak days or the end of the day. Counter act with healthy stuff. You can get Valtrex in generic. God bless you who suffer.
I was diagnosed with CMV back in April. I had chronic pain in my muscles and nausea with night sweats. I was ordered to stay in bed for three weeks and not leave the house. My doctor told me if I were to cacth a common cold at that time it could kill me. I have not been diagnosed withHIV r any other virusis but still to this day I have symptoms. The doctors perscribed me Xanex for my anxieties as that was what brought the CMV out of dormancy in the first place but other then that I was in so much pain for weeks! Now and again I am suffering with them same symptoms I had when I was first diagnosed. Ive changed my diet and have tried everything on my own to fight this thing but it continues to haunt me. The body pains are so bad I cant walk for longer then 30 mins without needing to rest. I have a 4 year old that healthy but I am finding ti very hard to interact with him under my condition. I have searched for answers to what I should do with my CMV and the only answers I have gotten were from my doctor who said it would take about 5 year before we knew how bad I was going to have it. There was no hope for me once diagnosed and I still feel that this thing has gotten the best of me and is undefeatable. Is there anyone that has the same problems that can help me through this???
I to have suffered with CFS,Fibromyagia, daily low grade fever.,my lymphocytes and platelets were always high..you know the story...When I would consult a doctor they would prescribe me antidepressants. I did not feel sad and I didn't feel the pills were helping me get better.Finally a doctor tested me for the CMV.Now that I know what the problem is, it helps. I purchased a portable infrared sauna on ebay and that has helped me alot. I eat with purpose now and rest as much as my body needs to.I take Extra Virgin Coconut Oil and Oil of Oregano to help destroy the virus. If I fail to do these things  I get to sick to get out of bed.
WoW!! I got Cmv when i was 7 months pregnant with my son . My symptoms were nothing more than a massive soar throat. My son how ever had major complications at birth such as enlarged liver scars next to his retna brain calcifications , He has some big challenges every day he is 8 now and i am still really confused about this .
thank you for your comments it help me
please put more comments of your experience
I hope you have found something to help you since the first post in 2006. I too had CMV around that time. My symptoms were also digestive complications and extreme fatigue.  I also had a couple of other nasties because my immune system basically became overwhelmed and shut down.
I was very lucky because I found an amazing Dr in Adelaide, South Australia, Called Dr Mbu. She and my naturopath (Katie Behlau, also in Adelaide) worked together to formulate a treatment plan that helped me immensely.
I was put on digestive enzymes to kick start my digestion again and Katie had me on several natural immune system remedies which probably included zinc, iron, Echinacea etc, I’m not really sure because it was a long time ago and I was only 15 at the time.  
I’ve had several re-lapses where the virus has become active again when I’m stressed (like now) and a great help to kill the virus is LYSINE tablets.
The virus is like other herpes simplex viruses, it has a fat (or lipid) layer protecting the outside of it’s cells and Lysine dissolves that fat layer, basically destroying the virus cell. It’s my go to supplement when I’m starting to feel “CMV tired” and want to kick the thing before it develops into a full blown infection. Most health food stores should have it because it’s used to clear cold sores. Obviously there’s no 100% guarantee but it’s worth a try and can’t harm you like pharmaceuticals can.
I hope everyone here who suffers CMV symptoms finds something that works for them to manage this virus.

Cmv virus can be treated with (not cured) with valacyclovir hope this helps. I to have it it's horrible.