Allergy Community
Long term cluster hives

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Long term cluster hives

I have a case of long-term cluster hives (8 months) every single day.  I have been to five different medical specialists (Rheumatologist, Dermatologist, Allergist/Immunologist, Internist, DO) and none of these doctors have been able to diagnose the cause of the problem.  I have had two biopsies, all allergy tests, tests for Lupus and other diseases and all results were negative.  I am now on a course of Prednisone (10 mg day) which is helping the hives but is causing other problems such as moon face and depression.  Is there anywhere else to turn.  I'm out of ideas.  Thanks, Malka
Are you on birth control? I had hives for 1 1/2 yrs, and my birth control was the cause.

Are you on any medications currently? Have you noticed any specific aggravating or relieving factors to your symptoms?

Are you allergic to any substances?

Have you tried oral antihistamine or oral antiallergic medications? Have they helped with your symptoms?

You should apply calamine lotion at the sites of the lesion and see if it helps.

Talk to your doctor about tapering the steroid medication or putting you on an alternate day dose schedule to help minimize the side effects.

Let us know if you have any more doubts and also keep us posted about how you are doing.

Hope this helps.

Regards.