Allergy Community
Long-term effects of Sudafed

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Long-term effects of Sudafed

My 9-year-old nephew is currently taking Sudafed daily (for the past few days) because of sinus problems brought about by allergies and the odd changes in the weather. Are there any long-term effects that my sister should be concerned about? If so, would going to their doctor for a long-term prescription be a better solution?

What symptoms does your nephew have? Is he on any other medications too?

Sudafed is pseudoephedrine- a decongestant - you need to continue it only as long as your doctor advises. Reconsult your octor periodically about when to stop the medication in your nephew's case.

The possible side effects include palpitations, anxiety, nervousness, weakness, fever , chills and esy bruising.

You would need to see his doctor if you notice any of these or any other abnormal symptoms.

Let us know if you have any other doubts.

Regards.