Allergy Community
Loss of drainage within my sinuses

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Loss of drainage within my sinuses

On Dec. 4th, 2012 I developed what felt like a double headache.  In the front of my head and over the top part of the head and my sinuses stop draining.  Since then I have had two MRI's and a cat scan.  The finding are Empty Sella and Minimal Paranasel Sinus Desease and mild mucosal thickening in some of the Paranasal Sinuses.  I still have the top head pressure/headache and no or very little sinus drainage.  I went to see a ENT specialist at National Jewish and he looked down my nose with a camera scope and found nothing.  After I told him I had used Oxymetazoline HCL nasal spray for years he said I destroyed my sinuses and no hope.  I found he lost sight of the reason for being there was for me to get rid of the pressure in the head and to get a normal flow of my sinuses, not a lecture on using an over the counter medication.  My question, why can't anyone find the cause of my head pressure/headahe, and how do I get my sinuses to drain and keep my nose moist.  I've been off the Oxymetazoline for three months and placed on  Fluticasone Propionate Nasal Spray.  The empty sella was addressed by the second MRI and doesn't seem to be a problem.  
Tags: sinuses/headache
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

I hope any visual defects have been ruled out as the cause for your headaches. Headaches can be tension headaches, the commonest of the lot, the others are migrainous headaches, those caused due to brain disorders, disorders of the eyes, neck or ears to name a few. If other causes have been ruled out, then it could be migraine. If you have blurring of vision, nausea and see some light flashes it could most probably be due to a migraine. Discuss these options with your doctor when you happen to meet him next time.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
This is the third time I've tried to add a comment.  Migrane (migraine) was ruled out.  Two MRI's and a Cat Scan, plus a Dr. and two specialists later, and nothing.  I believe its a problem with the Deep Sinuses.  They are clogged and won't allow the pressure within them to release.  And, they will not drain.  Though, I really don't know if they are clogged, nor if they ever drain.  FWL
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your predicament. If the sinuses are clogged, there should be evidence of fluid buildup and other features of sinusitis on CT scan. In the absence of which it is unlikely that the sinuses are clogged. And the best diagnosis for this problem is a CT of the sinuses. Another condition which can cause localized pain in the head is Temporal arteritis. It is inflammation and damage to blood vessels that supply the head. Discuss these options with your doctor when you happen to meet him next time.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
I had a cat scan of the neck and it came back as Moderate degenerative disc disease at the C3-C4, C4-C5 C5-C6 C6-C7 with 25 percent degenerative spondylolisthesis at the C7-T1 leve.  Could these problems cause Temporal arteritis?
I also saw my eye doctor today.  I started to have blurred vision only in the left eye.  When it comes I can not make out words or faces, after two to three days its goes back to corrected 20 20.