Not sure where to post this. There is something on my enclosed porch that is causing my chest discomfort. My lungs feel irritated. I am NOT coughing, do NOT have a runny nose, NOT sneezing, breathing is okay when tested. My only symptoms are: lung irritation and sometimes a strange taste in my mouth. When I leave my house it clears up. It seems just to be on my enclosed porch. I have not been able to determine what it is that is causing the problem. I'm down to paint, caulk, acrylic, and possibly mold that can't be seen. Is there something I can try to see if it will stop my lungs from being irritated? I had breathing tests and an x-ray and they were just fine. I did not have this problem before we went on a trip to another state. That is where my lungs got irritated and now they are sensitive. I would like to clear up the irritation in hopes that I won't be so sensitive after that. Suggestions of things I might try?
Your chest discomfort can be due to some air borne allergens to which you are allergic.This is called allergic rhinitis or hay fever.It is defined as an allergic reaction to anything you breathe in the air. This could be seasonal pollen released from weeds, grasses, and trees. It could also be an allergic reaction to dust mites, animal dander, mold, or household chemicals.
If a case of allergic rhinitis is caused by pollen, it will be seasonal, and symptoms will come and go. Other allergies will only occur when you come in contact with the allergen, such as a household cleaning product or pet dander. Still other allergens, such as dust or mold, may live in your home or workplace and, if left untreated, will make you feel somewhat sick and run down most of the year.
To find out to which air borne allergen you are allergic,pls Pls contact an allergic specialist and get skin tests like skin ***** test done. In this a small amount of allergen is introduced into the skin of the forearm and the reaction of the skin is noted. If there is any redness then that person is allergic to the allergen introduced.
You can also get blood tests like RAST done.This is blood test measuring the levels of antibodies or immunoglobulins produced in the body.This is a confirmatory test for allergies.
Once found out,avoidance of that allergen is the mainstay of treatment.
Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional queries.
Thank you for your response to my post regarding lung irritation. You mentioned allergic rhinitis aka hay fever. I don't think I have that because I don't sneeze and my nose doesn't run. I only have the lung irritation and sometimes strange taste in my mouth.
I know that you are not having any rhinitis and sneezing which are the typical features of hay fever,but in my post,I have mentioned the definition of hay fever as “It is defined as an allergic reaction to anything you breathe in the air. This could be seasonal pollen released from weeds, grasses, and trees. It could also be an allergic reaction to dust mites, animal dander, mold, or household chemicals.”.As you are suspecting mold allergy,the only allergic reaction can be either air borne or on touch(contact dermatitis)like itching or hives.The discomfort that you are having in the chest can be due to air borne mold allergy and its diagnosis can only be confirmed after skin testing or RAST testing.
Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if hou have any additional doubts.
I went to the allergist today and they did the skin scratch test to check for allergies. He said it was fine. I guess it is normal to have some itching and burning. I'll be having a methocholine challenge test next week. I took Benadryl and that seems to help with the lung irritation or at least with the discomfort that goes with it. I have some Material Safety Data Sheets on some caulks they used on my porch (4+ months ago) which I think may be the culprit. Both are listed as being lung irritants and one says something about (I don't have it in front of me)....something about releasing an acetic acid upon curing when exposed to humid air. And when the weather got hotter and more humid is when it started to be a problem. Of course, everyone tells me that it should be cured by now since it has been 4+ months. I took these Material Safety Data Sheets to the allergy doctor, but he was not interested in what I had to say or show him. He told me I could move or tear the porch off. He just wants to prescribe medicine. I prefer to eliminate what is bothering me, if I can.
Actully i am surprised same problem i have been suffering from 7 months .. No cough,only lungs irritation .. Xray,blood test,lungs function test everything is fine but my problem not solved .. Doctor told bronchities i have been taking bronchities medicine sinc 5 months no use .. Still i am same feeling
Copyright 1994-2016 MedHelp International. All rights reserved.
MedHelp is a division of Aptus Health.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.