Allergy Community
Negative Allergens, positive Ig?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Negative Allergens, positive Ig?

Hey,

Does anyone know what would cause an allergy screen to come back 100% negative for allergens but off the charts for Immunoglobulin?  My doctor said she had no clue what could cause it and didn't feel the need to refer me to an allergist since I was negative for all allergens... haven't been able to find much information on immunoglobulin being present without being allergic to anything.  I should not that though I am negative for allergens, I still have allergy-like symptoms when exposed to things like dust, perfume, cleaning products, pollen, etc... which my doctor (though she didn't know why I was Ig positive) said are "false allergies" caused by the Ig.  Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks!

Nickiej01

The IgG in the blood can be positive even if the allergen panel is negative as “IgG antibodies are found in all body fluids. They are the smallest but most common antibody (75% to 80%) of all the antibodies in the body. IgG antibodies are very important in fighting bacterial and viral infections.”
Please take a look at the 3 pages on the link: http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/immunoglobulins

You will see that IgG is positive in many other instances too.  I am not sure what tests were carried out; were they scratch test or the RAST panel? Both the tests measure the IgE antibody. You need a blood spot test to catch IgG allergy as it is slow to develop. Please check this out: http://www.rmalab.com/index.php?id=18

Hope this helps. If you need more help, please feel free to contact. I’ll be happy to answer your queries. Please keep me posted.

It was the RAST (thats the blood assay, right?)  I know that they didn't do the scratch.  I was negative across the board except for the generic IG at the end(it might have been IgE.)  I'll definitely check out those sites and ask my doctor about the info.

Thanks!