Allergy Community
New House Allergies

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

New House Allergies

We have recently moved into a new construction house and in the 6 months we have been here my family of 4 has had 6 separate cases of the flu, 1 case of RSV, 7 cases of stomach bug, 1 case of Ecoli infection resulting from a stomach bug, several sinus infections, several double ear infections and 1 case of flu related pneumonia. We have allergies pretty badly and my children and myself have food allergies. Could the chemicals in a new construction house mess with our immune system and lower it so we are more open to illness? I have had to be removed from new construction buildings before because of respiratory symptoms but could it lower immunity and cause illness? If so are there any tests available to check us for it so we know what we need to do? We can't seem to go longer than 3 weeks at a time without a bout of illness coming through? Any help would be fantastic.
Wow! That's terrible. I'm so sorry to hear what a rough time it's been for you guys. I don't know much about if the building materials can cause those kind of problems, but I can tell you from my own experience, be very sure it isn't mold. Even if you have to pay a mold inspector to come in and inspect the whole place! I have very bad allergies, too, and I lived in an apt (older bldg though) for 2.5 years with toxic black mold growing in the bathroom wall (behind the drywall). I got deathly sick within a few months and so did my dog. He never recovered and I've had trouble since.

Wish I could be more help, but I just had to warn you about that possibility. I realize it's not as likely since it's a new building, but you never know. If there is some plumbing leaking in the walls and water is getting on any wood or drywall or any material where mold can grow, it's a very serious situation. That stuff can be very toxic even for people w/o allergies. People like us really have to be so careful! Good luck to you! I hope you can find the cause and remove it. Otherwise I would seriously consider getting out of that place. Just my two cents! :)