Allergy Community
Newly engaged ring irritation
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Newly engaged ring irritation

10622252?1403642182
Hi,
I have had sensitive skin for years and as I get older (I'm 31 now), it keeps getting worse. Recent allergy testing revealed several significant concerns (frangrance mix I and II, thimerosol, thimerium were the main offenders -- the latter two reactions were the worst the doctor had seen). I was slightly allergic to nickel as well. I use all unscented/fragrance-free products and so have avoided irritation on all of my body except for my hands. The main source appears to be soap in all bathrooms but my own. I am constantly out of the house with no real access to hypoallergenic soap (I have trouble remembering my alcohol-free, fragrance-free sanitizer or bar of vanicream soap). I also find the same when I use too much time washing dishes even with my special hypoallergenic dish soap.

This brings me to Sunday. I got engaged (yay!!) with a beautiful ring we chose together. Within a few hours, my skin began to get irritated and since Sunday, I have not been able to wear it on that hand. Through my reading, I found that there are two common causes;

(1) Nickel -- 14K white gold jewelry is actually an alloy mixed with zinc/nickel/etc, but then dipped in rhodium. Over several years, the rhodium may wear off, but three hours is too short of a time period for this. Platinum is also a budget buster and a last resort.
(2) Allergens/Moisture trapped beneath the ring -- the picture shows the inside of the ring. The outside has intricate scroll work with a "cathedral style", but I could not upload a second picture for some reason. The wedding band has a similar inside.

I am so bummed! I've started looking at other rings, but want to be sure I can avoid this problem again.
- What should I avoid in a new ring and what should I look for?
- How can I prevent this -- hand washing, drying, lotion, soap, etc.

Thanks so much! I am so excited to be able to wear an engagement ring.
Tags: engaged, ring, irritation, Allergies, Skin, problem, wedding, marriage, married, engagement, proposal, fragrance mix 1, fragrance mix 2, thimerosol, soap, handwashing, allergic reactions
1340994_tn?1374197577
Surely you wear gloves to wash dishes?  Non-latex gloves of course.  

You can paint metal with clear nail polish on the side that touches your skin.  
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Allergy Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank