Allergy Community
Nick surgery connected to Lupus

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Nick surgery connected to Lupus

Since having a titanium rod inserted during neck surgery, I have begun to have signs and symptoms of Lupus.  The doctors diagnose the Lupus, but refuse to say there is any connection between the surgery and the side effects.  The side effects began developing within one week of the surgery. It has been eight months of hell, with a rash growing over my body that is like elephant skin - I cannot tolerate extreme temperatures or sunlight.  I am told there is nothing to be done, and that the surgery was coincidental in causing any discomfort.  Is there anyone out there with a similar experience?  Or am I crazy?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Lupus may not be linked to your surgery. In lupus the blood counts (red blood cells, white blood cells and platelets) are low, positive antinuclear antibodies in the blood, increased sedimentation rates and increased C reactive protein. Diagnosis of Lupus is a combination of clinical symptoms and tests and there are '11' criteria.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.