Allergy Community
Nicotine Allergy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Nicotine Allergy

I want to know if it is possible to test for Nicotine Allergy and symptoms- I live surrounded by smoking and smells of tobacco have invaeded my space. The smoke is papable and affects my breathing.
-6 Comments Post a Comment

Nicotine smoke is in itself an irritant and is also known to cause several harmful effects on the body including the lungs.

What kind of smoke exposure are you talking about?

The symptoms  you are experiencing could be due to the nicotine for sure - you need to find ways and means to avoid the exposure and stay away from it.

Testing for nicotine allergy will not help much.

Let us know if you have any questions and keep us posted on how you are doing.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.
Avatar n tn
I've been smoking for almost a year now. And i just recently became a pack a day kind of person.Within the last month i have been having really bad hives all over my body. I am also going through kind of a rough time in my life so i know i am stressed out, and stress for me causes hives. But the severeness of them is beyond anything i have ever suffered due to stress.
I was wondering if there is anyway i could be allergic to the nicotine in the cigarettes?

What other substances are you allergic to? Have you taken any medications for your symptoms?

You could be allergic to nicotine or some other substance in the cigarettes and this could be causing or aggravating your allergy symptoms.

Talk to an allergy specialist in detail about your symptoms and also if you need any blood work or allergy testing to be done. You would probably be prescribed antihistamine medications for sometime.

The best treatment is to avoid smoke and any other substance which causes your symptoms including stress.

Let us know about how you are doing and if you have any doubts.

Keep us posted on what your doctor advises.

Hope this helps.

Regards.