Allergy Community
Nicotine in place of epipen

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Nicotine in place of epipen

Hi, I have food allergies which make my airways constrict over a period of an hour. Sometimes the allergies make me puke non-stop and bless me with spots all over my face.

I am wondering if I could possible use a nicotine inhaler (e.g. nicorette) since nicotine stimulates adrenaline and it is so much cheaper and convenient to carry around.
Nicotine is a vasoconstricter, meaning it makes it harder to pump blood through microcirculation. Furthermore there is no antidote. Nicotine is is absolutely contraindicated. You have a potentially life-threatening problem that cannot be solved by home remedies. You do not know when the situation may deteriorate into what is called a "locked-lung" resulting in death. The fact you have observed the symtoms (symptoms) progressively get worse over a period of time disturbs me. You may find in the future that period may become very short. You need to consult an allergist and a pulmonary specialist. Take extreme care to avoid those substances you can identify that act as antigens and provoke a systemic reaction.  Clearly, you require an albuterol emergency inhaler (not the epinephrine sold in the drug stores). Your physician may also prescribe anti-histamines and prednisone for emergencfy use. "Cheaper and convenient" have no meaning for those in the grave.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Agree with the suggestion given above. I would suggest you obtain a referral to an allergist or an ENT who does allergy testing.  That is the only way to reliably know what is causing your allergic reaction.  Some allergies can be life-threatening as they can precipitate anaphylactic shock in which the swelling can be so severe that it impairs the ability to breathe.  Therefore, I would suggest you see someone as soon as possible. Also, keep an epi pen with you in case of an emergency.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.