Nocturnal chronic hives
I am a 35 year old female. I suddenly developed hives after 1 week of arriving Canada (my first visit). Very painful large bumps that often turn red and eventually form great red painful patches , usually at the back of my forearms, my neck and sholders, thighs and especially my Knees. Usually starts around my eyes and lips and ends on closing my eyes.

It occassionally occurs with very itchy palms , but hardly ever occurs on my chest and stomach. this has gone on everyday for 5months. Have been on steroidal treatment (which worked) but which my doctor stopped after a week, Benadryl worked for a couple of weeks , cetirizine HCL, worked also for some weeks , but eventually they all stop being effective. Have called in pest control in case of bugs , changed my detergent several times , but it just keeps recurring. Seen an allergist who thinks im allergic to Coke fish products animal hairs, wool and a number of pollens and many doctors who though that if I left Canada I could be better, Being back to the UK for 5 weeks and im still in Hell. please please help.I sometimes take an overdose just for relief , but my friends say its dangerous. Please please please help if you know something

This discussion is related to NOCTURNAL HIVES, swelling lips.
      Urticaria is mainly idiopathic in it’s occurrence and specific cause has not been made out. But the probable theories for it’s occurrence include allergy to food or dust or animals, exposure to extreme climates or use of certain drugs etc. In most cases it I idiopathic, but an examination by a dermatologist is mandatory for confirmation.

In your case, as you have already been taking antihistamines and oral steroids which were of less use, I would recommend to try montelukast, immunosuppressive drugs, antifungal drugs, ultraviolet radiation or tricyclic antidepressants according to your suitability under the supervision of your doctor. Take care.