Allergy Community
Nostrils always blocked

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Nostrils always blocked

I can't remember the last day I was able to breath out of both of my nostrils. I only ever have half a nostril free.

I am back in competitive sport now and I am really noticing its affects on my fitness because I am unable to breath correctly.

What is the best solution to this? Should I go and see and GP and ask to see a specialist? Is there a short term fix that I can use while I am waiting to see a specialist?

Thanks for any help,
~Josh.
Yes, you will want to see an ENT and s/he will perform a ct scan of your sinuses.
I know this isn't fun to live with as I too have one nostril nearly plugged. My scan shows a very deviated septum. The only correction (though no guarantees) is surgery.

Because of "deviation" (possibly allergies too-dunno), mucus or "post nasal" drains down the back of my throat. This makes for misery. The only thing that I found to help it out some is nasal irrigation and taking Benadryl before bed (I wake up less congested).
Nasal irrigation is abit uncomfortable but it sure clears out the trapped mucus!
I would at least give it a try. It isn't a fix but helpful if you share the same problem as I do.
Outside of that, while out in public...you may want to carry nasal saline.

Good luck.
As an aside, while I came out from an ENT visit-I ran into a local. We got to talking and he said that he had nasal surgery for the same problem. His face lit up and he said that it made a huge difference. He was finally able to breath right. So there IS hope. I'm considering it for next year.

Kate
Kate,

Thank you so much for you insight. Yes, it is very irritating and limiting. I find I'm short of breath when I play soccer because I can literally only breath out of my mouth... and, correct me if I'm wrong, breathing through the mouth is suppose to be shallow in comparison to breathing through the nose. I use to be a long distance runner when I was younger, but find now that I can't perform at that level because of this problem.

What is the brand of spray you use? I will definitely be booking in with a ENT specialist as soon as I can.

Good luck with what ever you do with the problem. I will go through surgery if that's what it takes to fix it... or at least make it better.

Thanks,
`Josh.
Josh,

Yes, it is amazing how quality of life can be greatly reduced on account of 2 small openings -nostrils.
Early this year, I was very backed up and it had explained why I would feel abit light headed upon heavy exertion.
Breathing, it's something we take foregranted until we can hardly breath anymore. It'll make you feel old in short time.

Like you, I used to be a runner when I was a kid too. Free breathing and light on the feet...felt free. I miss that.

Yes, breathing through the mouth is shallower and more difficult in my opinion. Breathing out it, is okay. Having to inhale through the mouth...is the pits.
Too, if you sleep with your mouth open-you'll wake with a dryer than usual mouth/throat.

I use some off brand saline spray. Any brand will do as it is just saline. Your grocery/drug stores will carry it.
You can use the likes of Afrin but this if for short term use. Use this too often (not as intended) and it can create a greater problem so I have been told.
I have used it but did so for only a day.
Saline is absolutely safe and can be uses as often as needed.

As for nasal irrigation, I referred to this site:
http://www.njc.org/disease-info/treatments/alt-ther/nasal-wash.aspx

It does feel abit odd. Almost akin to jumping into a body of water and having some water go up your nose, though not as bad. ;-)
Afterwards, I felt better.
I purchased a baby's nasal bulb. Two in fact as I found the standard, straight [blue] bulb not as comfortable to use.
The one I like is white and the tip is clear, short, bent at an angle and removable and thus, more hygienic.
I lean my head straight down over the tub, "drown" (as I like to say) each nostril and when done, raise up my head up to drain some of it out there and then blow my nose in tissue.
Amazing how much mucus your sinuses can hold and explains why, when you are severely congested-prone to headaches.
Some people claim to do this daily but I don't as I would think doing this that often, might be irritating. Perhaps if water alone was being used, it wouldn't be. I don't know.

I wish you great success in your future surgery. My guess is, you will require one. Hopefully you will find some relief before then. If only short term-it's better than nothing.

Take care,
~Kate
Thanks very much Kate. I appreciate your thoughts.

Best of luck to you also,
~Josh.
Ask your ENT about your turbinates.  20 years I fought with unable to breathe out my nose.  You have 3 turbinates on each side of your nose and they don't really have anything to do with your sinus cavity but they sure do impact your ability to breathe.  I couldn't even use my cpap at night.
Thanks rugrat, I'll make sure to ask bout it.
I spent the first 29 years of my life with a constantly blocked or running nose.   I went to a number of specialist who were most unsuccessful in helping me.   I had my nose cauterised which did not help and I was given increasing amounts of anti-histimine which only made me feel sleepy and took away my vitality.

At 29 years of age my employer sent me to a live in course where very bassic meals were served.   I could no longer drink my favourite flavoured milk drinks, icecreams, cheese etc.   After two weeks I could easily breath through both nostrils and I felt great.

On the last day drinks and cheese and biscuits were provided.   Within minutes of eating some cheese both nostrils closed and I could not breath properly.

Taking notice of this I put myself on a dairy free diet and in the thirty three years since then the problem has barely surfaced.

It is so easy to treat the symtoms (symptoms) but finding the cause is the real answer.  In your instance I would careully taken note of your diet.   Besides milk products there are lot's of food and drinks with dyes and preservatives which your body might be reacting to.

Checking your diet will not cost you anything and may provide your answer.  Goodluck
try an allergy test aswell you never know what it's gonna say...it might just make your day and change your life..i had surgery on a septum deviation and it worked but now i get stuffed up alot which they say is either allergies or turbinates that are to large so i'm going for allergy testing before i have the surgery to reduce the size of the turbinates..

try the tests there free with medical
i have tried ... nasal irrigation... steroid spray... anihistamines... antihistamine spray.... tylenol... mint tea... eucalyptus steam (lol) ... sinus surgery (!!) ... prednizone .... AND NOTHING WORKS... im still completley clogged in my ears and sinus... im going to kill my self now... good luck
I am a 16 year old boy called JAYSHIVA, I have a breathing problem in one of my nasal and sometimes changes sides, however, I have been given a nisal spray and allergic tablets and still don't help, I STOPS ME FROM LEARNING AS MY FACE IS ALWAYS IS DOWN ON THE TABLE AND MY MUCUS IS ALWAYS COMES OUT AND EVEN IF IT ISN'T STILL FEEL LIKE IT'S COMING OUT. IT IS A EMBARRASSED!!!