Allergy Community
Once bitten, not shy ( allergies due to fire ant bite).

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

I was wondering as to allergies, sinus infections and post nasal drip. I had relocated to the south (texas-Houston) area in 2005 from the northeast (pennsylvania-Philadelphia) area. I never had any allergies or problems with sinus issues. In 2011 I had gotten a new job and was working in an area that had a lot of trees, mostly pines. All of a sudden after starting there, I ended up with an upper resp. infection which led to pneumonia. I was placed on a Zpak and the it had gone away except for the mucus and a lot of it. Well to make the long story short here it is 2013 and I keep getting these upper resp infections, post drip and constant mucus in my throat. Oh, the other thing is that now I can only breathe out of one side of my nose for there is some form of mucus behind my eye and when rubbed it squishes. What is weird is that it goes from one eye to the other and then back again. Mostly behind the one eye. I went to the allergist and she told me of the things I am allergic to.
This all started back in 2009 when I was bit by 2 fire ants and my whole finger swelled up into a big mass filled with (sorry to be gross) orange pus. Well come to find out I am seriously allergic to fire ants and if bitten  I have to jab myself with an epi-pen. Is all this allergy and sinus/mucus issues due to my body and the fire ant reaction. Thank you for your help.
I hate the mucus in the throat and the mucus behind the eye.  Sincerely, David
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Your symptoms could be allergic reactions. More so as this has been confirmed by an allergist. Some Allergic reactions could be life threatening, like the one with the fire ants, and you use epipen for that. The blockage in the nose could be due to a polyp, check with your doctor regarding this. Also, as the symptoms started on shifting your home, it could also be due to Environmental triggers. The triggers for allergic reactions like changes in weather, temperature and water sources are difficult to avoid, but being aware can help you take adequate precautions. If you are aware of the triggers please avoid them or take anti-histamines. If the present antihistamines are not very effective you can consult your doctor for long acting ones.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.