Allergy Community
Onion Allergy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

Onion Allergy

Im not sure what my allergy is to.  I think it might be onions.  My symptoms are I feel like Im coming down with the flu.   I get a headache and congestion and get all stuffy in my sinuses.  Is this a food reaction?  I dont use onions at home but when I go out for dinner since I dont know how they prepare the food Im stumped.
It can be due to food allergies but it is important to find out the allergen to which you are allergic to. It can be done by skin tests or blood tests like RAST. Positive skin or RAST tests help narrow the list of suspected allergens, but don’t often point directly to the cause of symptoms. A challenge test may also be needed especially in food allergies. Please discuss with your doctor the options of food elimination and food challenge tests.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.