Allergy Community
PPD allergy Double Take

This patient support community is for discussions relating to airbourne allergies, eye allergies, shots, anaphylaxis, asthma, children's allergies, hives, insect stings, rhinitis, sinuses, and allergies to drugs, foods, and pets.

PPD allergy Double Take

I have developed an allergy to PPD in hair dye. (I've not been formally diagnosed; have appt for allergy testing in a couple of weeks) I was excited to find the Act Naturals (from Advanced Technologies) line of hair dye, purchased it online, and had my hair colored last week. Within 24 hours, my symptoms returned: swelling, soreness, redness, itchiness of my scalp, ears, face and neck. Is it possible that the coloring process "reactivated" PPD that is likely still in my hair from hair coloring with a product containing PPD 6 weeks ago?
Hair dyes and color may contain a number of allergens which may cause allergies. PPD is just one allergen which may cause allergies. It is very unlikely for the allergy to flare up after 6 weeks until and unless the new hair dye contains the same allergen. It may be due to allergic reaction to the allergen if present again or due to some other allergen.

Take some oral antihistaminic like Benadryl or Claritin if there is any itching and apply some calamine lotion on the rash. Also wash the area with plenty of fresh water and do not apply the eye makeup for some time.

If the symptoms persist then get an evaluation done from a dermatologist as topical eye drops containing steroids and oral steroids may be needed.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

I too doubt that the PPD allergy would "reactivate" after such an extensive amount of time. Try using a hair dye without PPD or harsh chemicals like ammonia or peroxide. My friend suggested Love Your Color by Cosamo and I never looked back. Hope this helps!